• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington skiing into June.!

skiNEwhere

Looks like July might be possible, at least for those willing to hike, astounding.

Has this ever happened before? I know at A-Basin, the manager has stated that once temps hit the 50's they lose an average of 4 inches of base a day

octopus

I'm always amazed how fast massive amounts of snow disappear when it warms up

mriceyman

Has this ever happened before? I know at A-Basin, the manager has stated that once temps hit the 50's they lose an average of 4 inches of base a day

Theyre also at 6k' base altitude

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

snoseek

That seems a little extreme. Keep in mind that a wall of manmade snow is denser than Colorado blower.

By those numbers we should have been done at kwood in mid January...matter of fact I bet out of the last 90 days we've hit 45 or more for 60 of them....60's at 8k all week

skiNEwhere

Also, I'm sure people here may say "yea, well that's colorado". There's really not much data on this, I'm trying to find the specific post but that's what Al the VP said, unless anyone else has another source I think that's probably accurate. Keep in mind a day is 24 hours, not just the hours the ski area is open. When you have temps over 32 degrees that entire period, I think that's totally plausible.

Snoseek, keep in mind the sun angle as well, I doubt that much snow melts in a day in the winter.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
I know people who have earned turns at Killington in July. Actually, there have been one or more skiing days in every month of the year at Killington. In late August ca. 1983, there was a freak 4" snowstorm above 3500'. I remember the publicity photos in the newspapers showed a skier making some turns.

Newpylong

They will be lucky to last till June. Even yesterday a lot of the pack melted, a couple weeks like this it won't matter how much there is.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
They will be lucky to last till June. Even yesterday a lot of the pack melted, a couple weeks like this it won't matter how much there is.
You must be joking. I was there yesterday and the powder in the woods was still powder at 3PM. Based on ASC's last year of owning Killington, there was about 30' of glacier. An extended 2-week meltdown, with daytime highs in the 70s and night time lows in the 50's resulted in a loss of 5' to 8' per week. They closed just prior to Memorial Day. As long as the temps go down below freezing at night, there is almost no loss of base.

VTKilarney

Why is everyone talking like Killington is not going to add any more natural? It's just the beginning of March.
I don't think anyone here has suggested that they won't. But I also don't think that this will get them into June.

Newpylong

You must be joking. I was there yesterday and the powder in the woods was still powder at 3PM. Based on ASC's last year of owning Killington, there was about 30' of glacier. An extended 2-week meltdown, with daytime highs in the 70s and night time lows in the 50's resulted in a loss of 5' to 8' per week. They closed just prior to Memorial Day. As long as the temps go down below freezing at night, there is almost no loss of base.

I have powder in the woods at my house too, it doesn't mean the exposed pack didn't start to melt where the sun was beating on it.

I live 4 towns over - so am I am here every day, not just yesterday. We lost base (not a lot) the last few days and it didn't even reach 40 degrees. You will be surprised how fast it will go once it really gets warm and that suns hits it all day. It all depends on what mother nature has in store for us this spring. March 10 to June is a LOT of time.

To each his own opinion, time will tell. I hope they make it, it's been a while since the bikinis were out on Superstar in June.

VTKilarney

You will be surprised how fast it will go once it really gets warm and that suns hits it all day. It all depends on what mother nature has in store for us this spring. March 10 to June is a LOT of time.
Spot on. While they have set themselves up to be open until June, Mother Nature gets the final word.

drjeff

Spot on. While they have set themselves up to be open until June, Mother Nature gets the final word.

Yup, if we stay in the generally cool/cold weather pattern that we've been in the last few months for the next few months, and get some "normal" amounts of snowfall in the coming weeks, K has a very good shot at skiing into June.

If the weather pattern shifts and we get a "warm" spring and more liquid than frozen precip the next few weeks, then all bets are off.

K has done what they feel they need to do to be in position to ski into June. We'll know in 83 days if their plan worked!

Jcb890

I have powder in the woods at my house too, it doesn't mean the exposed pack didn't start to melt where the sun was beating on it.

I live 4 towns over - so am I am here every day, not just yesterday. We lost base (not a lot) the last few days and it didn't even reach 40 degrees. You will be surprised how fast it will go once it really gets warm and that suns hits it all day. It all depends on what mother nature has in store for us this spring. March 10 to June is a LOT of time.

To each his own opinion, time will tell. I hope they make it, it's been a while since the bikinis were out on Superstar in June.

I'm not entirely sure why you guys are arguing (or if you really are), but obviously everything hinges on the weather and Mother Nature. If no more snow falls and temps rise and stay up, of course the season will be shorter. It looks like they are going to get some more snow this weekend, but it will still be warm throughout the week. Hopefully none of it is rain!