• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington skiing into June.!

steamboat1

Snowmakers are lighting up lower Superstar as of about 5 pm with old school air/water guns. Also building the pile on the summit. Working their way up the lower headwall. Crappy pic.
LOL....did you see the pictures posted of the snowmaking hoses draped above Launch Pad behind the pile on top of Supe so people could ski under them?

I think they mean business.

chuckstah

I did see them! Looks like June could happen. I'll be on the hill next few days, spring pass will be purchased this week.

steamboat1

I did see them! Looks like June could happen. I'll be on the hill next few days, spring pass will be purchased this week.
Hoping to ski there all of next week. This cold weather is cramping my style. Sounded like a nice day today but tomorrow & Fri. it's back to the freezer. Already have a midweek pass which will be good on weekends too once they go to a weekend only schedule.

mriceyman

That really would be awesome to see un person

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

chuckstah

I'll try to grab a couple pics tomorrow if its not too cold to remove a glove. Hopefully they will keep it lit up for a few more days. Last year March first was the cutoff.

drjeff

I'll try to grab a couple pics tomorrow if its not too cold to remove a glove. Hopefully they will keep it lit up for a few more days. Last year March first was the cutoff.

No thaw - recovery mode cycles for the last month plus has helped, plus those Snow logic SV-6 guns up at the top of superstar in the pic, and in use over most of supe at times this year are ridiculously efficient, especially in COLD air when compared to what they used to blast supe with! More total snow for the same, or even less $$ than before works

freeski

It's great to see Killington trying for June. :thumbup:

When Superstar is at its peak it would be interesting to try and calculate how many cubic yards and how many tons of snow they've got on the trail.

Last edited:

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
It's great to see Killington trying for June. :thumbup:

When Superstar is at its peak it would be interesting to try and calculate how many cubic yards and how many tons of snow they've got on the trail.
I 2nd that. I hope the skiing community provides them enough business to justify their expense. That's the best way to ensure that it becomes the new norm.

(Clearly, their early season product has proven profitable.)

Edd

Not fully up to speed but something about this year (2015) they either have to recommit or divest, something about the REIT. Lets just say there have been a lot of whispers and rumors of what may happen up here after this season with respect to sister resorts alligned to SR depending on potential outcomes with CNL.

I saw info online, maybe a year ago, regarding CNL's strategy for the next few years. The implication was that they're stepping away from the ski business. I almost started a thread about it but I never confirmed the info.

drjeff

Here's a little video from Snow logic, the company that manufactured many of the snow guns that K has been using on Superstar this year about what a game changer these guns have been. The vid is about 3 minutes long and features interviews with GM's, snowmaking supervisors and overall industry folks from Killington, Peak Resorts and Deer Valley

freeski

The assault continues... pic from web cam

Attachments

• 1424962952028_640x360[1].jpg
    1424962952028_640x360[1].jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 80

Jcb890

Wow, they're really going for it!

It seems like many of the other New England mountains are allowing the snow to fall naturally and not putting in too much snow-making effort. Or perhaps they're doing it off-hours when I haven't seen it. Has anyone else seen this trend this season around New England and/or NY?

mriceyman

Wow, they're really going for it!

It seems like many of the other New England mountains are allowing the snow to fall naturally and not putting in too much snow-making effort. Or perhaps they're doing it off-hours when I haven't seen it. Has anyone else seen this trend this season around New England and/or NY?

Why make snow when you have 5' of natural in feb. Most places arent going for june. Actually no other place is

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

deadheadskier

Staff member
Waste of money for pretty much any ski area in New England to have made snow for the past month with all the natural we've had and especially with skier visits down from the cold weather. Only place it makes sense is Killington.