• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

nyc chick looking to share ride up to killington this weekend

mriceyman

....good call on your snowboard vs skier girls. When I first started boarding the sport was dominated by teen boys in baggy pants. Because of the lack of females, I felt like a celebrity and was barraged with questions and interest about the sport and transitioning from skiing. It was a blast. Somewhere in the middle of 20+ years a lot has happened,but one thing remains...a girl ripping down a steep or through the trees on a board is Hot....imho.:smile:

You are awesome

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

deadheadskier

Staff member
Ran the numbers twice. Of the 13765 registered members of the forum, we have 6917 members identifying as fermale and 6848 members identifying as male. Who knew

C-Rex

Women get offended by stereotypes because they are often (NOT ALWAYS) more preoccupied with what people think than men are. When someone makes a generalized comment about women, many women worry that people may think what was said applies to them so they start spouting about how sexist and wrong we are. People make generalized comments base on observations because largely those observations hold water. It doesn't mean we are saying it's 100% true. Only generally. We just don't feel the need to put a disclaimer on every sentence because we aren't that effing sensitive.

I admit that said sensitivity usually comes from being marginalized in the past. Any group that has been the object of prejudice is often a bit touchy about generalized statements because the thinking behind them actually may affect them in some instances. White males are rarely held back or treated unfairly because of our race or gender so we often find it hard to sympathize with that sensitivity. However, yelling and screaming about how wrong the stereotypes are just because you don't fit it isn't going to change the stereotype. The stereotype will remain as long as it is generally true. All you can really do is be who you are and let those who are wrong about you find out in their own time how wrong the are. Getting offended about it only reinforces the stereotype of the male-bashing, feminine activist.

C-Rex

Ran the numbers twice. Of the 13765 registered members of the forum, we have 6917 members identifying as fermale and 6848 members identifying as male. Who knew

I think men just post more because we aren't busy typing other shit. Our secretaries do it, and that's why they aren't posting. :razz: :stirpot:

Higgl

Women get offended by stereotypes because they are often (NOT ALWAYS) more preoccupied with what people think than men are. When someone makes a generalized comment about women, many women worry that people may think what was said applies to them so they start spouting about how sexist and wrong we are. People make generalized comments base on observations because largely those observations hold water. It doesn't mean we are saying it's 100% true. Only generally. We just don't feel the need to put a disclaimer on every sentence because we aren't that effing sensitive.

I admit that said sensitivity usually comes from being marginalized in the past. Any group that has been the object of prejudice is often a bit touchy about generalized statements because the thinking behind them actually may affect them in some instances. White males are rarely held back or treated unfairly because of our race or gender so we often find it hard to sympathize with that sensitivity. However, yelling and screaming about how wrong the stereotypes are just because you don't fit it isn't going to change the stereotype. The stereotype will remain as long as it is generally true. All you can really do is be who you are and let those who are wrong about you find out in their own time how wrong the are. Getting offended about it only reinforces the stereotype of the male-bashing, feminine activist.

Putting those stereotypes out there in the manner that you are and then getting as defensive as you, MMW, and others have gotten is the reason those stereotypes are still an issue. Gender roles don't have to be a thing and they are slowly slowly slowly going away but if you continue to push those stereotypes the norms will continue to perpetuate through society and MMW's little girl will grow up not WANTING to be a doctor because of how she was raised, not because of some implicit biological reason.

DHS can't you run some report on this? Susan B. Anthony here needs to be put in her place.

You are what is wrong with feminist views these days. Although I don't know how many "chicks" at the hen house would appreciate you calling them that!

Marebear chimed her with her opinion and you completely ignored it but because it didn't go along with your opinion.

Congratulations you work in a field with few woman. Nothing is preventing women from going into that field if they really want to you silly goose! Just like nothing is stopping men from going into careers traditionally held by women like social work and nursing.

And just what exactly do you think feminism is? Feminism is striving for and believing in gender equality, nothing more.

Really? Nothing is preventing women from going into those fields? Have you been watching the news lately? There are real life studies done where employers in those fields are handed identical resume's, one with a female name and one with a male name and the male name gets hired MORE than the woman name does with IDENTICAL RESUMES. Clearly nothing is wrong between genders in our world.

Higgl

Not to say you're not going to be an awesome, loving father MMW. I thought your thread on teaching her to ski was adorable and warmed my heart. However, if you so vehemently endorse these sexist stereotypes, stereotypes do influence your decisions unconsciously. Heard of aversive of "modern" racism? Its the same thing with sexism and we ALL do it. That is why its such as issue!!

Furthermore, beyond what you might do as a parent, its the rest of the adults in her life that will also push her down the gender normative road that many of you all clearly love so dearly.

Eliminating these stupid stereotypes are the only way we're going to make progress towards true gender equality which, I think anyone with a daughter on this forum should especially want. Shouting stereotypes to the high heavens about women as only doing this and that and holding this job and getting really pissy like a white man pissed that a black man is using his white water fountain is hurting that an incredible amount.

MadMadWorld

Putting those stereotypes out there in the manner that you are and then getting as defensive as you, MMW, and others have gotten is the reason those stereotypes are still an issue. Gender roles don't have to be a thing and they are slowly slowly slowly going away but if you continue to push those stereotypes the norms will continue to perpetuate through society and MMW's little girl will grow up not WANTING to be a doctor because of how she was raised, not because of some implicit biological reason.

And just what exactly do you think feminism is? Feminism is striving for and believing in gender equality, nothing more.

Really? Nothing is preventing women from going into those fields? Have you been watching the news lately? There are real life studies done where employers in those fields are handed identical resume's, one with a female name and one with a male name and the male name gets hired MORE than the woman name does with IDENTICAL RESUMES. Clearly nothing is wrong between genders in our world.

Gender roles are not slowly slowly going away. They are pretty much long gone. I would say the only areas they still exist are in the military and jobs that involve physical labor. My daughter will know that she can be anything she wants when she grows up (hell we just had a Doc Mcstuffins themed birthday). For you to assume how I raise my daughter is presumptive considering you don't know me. My mom always worked full time as a kid and worked her way up from a nurse to running a department at Children's Hospital. Men with a lot more letters and credentials next to their name report to her. I have deep respect for that.

You have corrupted the term feminism to mean something different then the definition you gave. You seem to carry a chip on your shoulder and expect employers and others to pay for the decisions that were made before our time. I have worked in IS in the past and now do other work in technology but when I was involved in the hiring process at my previous employer we always enjoyed getting women applicants. They always had more attention to detail and were better at analyzing large problems and projects. But I'm sure you will somehow take that as an attack or insult.

skiMEbike

All this talk of feminist, stereotypes, & polical correctness is what I look to escape when I come to this board...Now can we get back on topic? It's Friday now and Has anyone found a ride for this "nyc chick" ?

BenedictGomez

Ran the numbers twice. Of the 13765 registered members of the forum, we have 6917 members identifying as fermale and 6848 members identifying as male.

The data are flawed.

little girl will grow up not WANTING to be a doctor because of how she was raised, not because of some implicit biological reason.

If a little girl grows up not WANTING to be a doctor, it's likely she didn't want to be a doctor.

Oh....wait....... sorry. Didn't mean to rain on your little downtrodden victimization and "societal evils" party.

gender normative road

Do explain this please.

Shouting stereotypes to the high heavens about women as only doing this and that and holding this job and getting really pissy like a white man pissed that a black man is using his white water fountain is hurting that an incredible amount.

images

Domeskier

All this talk of feminist, stereotypes, & polical correctness is what I look to escape when I come to this board...Now can we get back on topic? It's Friday now and Has anyone found a ride for this "nyc chick" ?

Never! If it weren't for MMW and his vicious stereotyping, this woman would not have to be asking for a ride in the first place!

C-Rex

I like to joke. When I put out blatant stereotypes I'm just stirring the pot. That's why I'm so blatant about it. So no one can mistake the sarcasm for how I really feel.

The hiring thing interests me though. What gender was the person doing the hiring? Did female employers also hire more men? If so what does that say? Also, a personal observation: When we hire where I work, resumes are used only to see who qualifies for the job. Once you interview we already know you are capable of performing the tasks required. What we are looking for is, are you someone we want to work with? Will we get along? It's more of a personality test. That said, perhaps many employers simply prefer to work with men. Men generally find it easier to resolve conflict and work in teams with other men. I've heard women say the same thing. That they don't get along well with other women and prefer to work or hang out with men. My point is, maybe it's not some conspiracy to keep women down. Maybe it's just the way things are currently. Which is to say that those views can and probably will change, but these things take time, usually generations.

I know a woman can do just about anything a man can do and some can even do it better. There are always exceptions to any generalization. My point is simply that generalizations and stereotypes exist for a reason, and that's because they are observed to be true in a majority of situations, even if it's not really the case. The only way to rid one's self of those is to consistently buck the trend and hope enough others do the same to change the perception.

Example: A lot of skiers say snowboarders can't ride moguls well. I can ride moguls well. But I don't get my panties in a twist when someone says that because I know that the general observation is that snowboarders can't ride moguls well, and that that is because most of them really can't! One guy ripping moguls on a board is not going to change the perception, nor will a whole crew or a minority percentage. Do I get offended, NO. Actually, I love when people have that view because then they are even more impress when they see me ride moguls. So why can't women take the same stance? Why get offended and whine about what people think? Maybe that's really what makes us say things to offend you. Because we know it'll get a rise out of you.

Warp Daddy

U,mmm ok. , lets all take a deep breath. , now does anybody still wanna talk bout skiing ? :daffy: BTW nothing sexier than a woman , young woman that rips on one or two planks. Just sayin

signed
a good man ,a good father and husband and grandfather who has several chick rippers in "da family " .

C-Rex

U,mmm ok. , lets all take a deep breath. , now does anybody still wanna talk bout skiing ? :daffy: BTW nothing sexier than a woman , young woman that rips on one or two planks. Just sayin

signed
a good man ,a good father and husband and grandfather who has several chick rippers in "da family " .

Why does it have to be "SEXY"?! Why can't you just respect them for their athleticism?! Blah blah blah! Wah wah waaaaahh!!

There ladies, I got that one for you.

MadMadWorld

I like to joke. When I put out blatant stereotypes I'm just stirring the pot. That's why I'm so blatant about it. So no one can mistake the sarcasm for how I really feel.

The hiring thing interests me though. What gender was the person doing the hiring? Did female employers also hire more men? If so what does that say? Also, a personal observation: When we hire where I work, resumes are used only to see who qualifies for the job. Once you interview we already know you are capable of performing the tasks required. What we are looking for is, are you someone we want to work with? Will we get along? It's more of a personality test. That said, perhaps many employers simply prefer to work with men. Men generally find it easier to resolve conflict and work in teams with other men. I've heard women say the same thing. That they don't get along well with other women and prefer to work or hang out with men. My point is, maybe it's not some conspiracy to keep women down. Maybe it's just the way things are currently. Which is to say that those views can and probably will change, but these things take time, usually generations.

I know a woman can do just about anything a man can do and some can even do it better. There are always exceptions to any generalization. My point is simply that generalizations and stereotypes exist for a reason, and that's because they are observed to be true in a majority of situations, even if it's not really the case. The only way to rid one's self of those is to consistently buck the trend and hope enough others do the same to change the perception.

Example: A lot of skiers say snowboarders can't ride moguls well. I can ride moguls well. But I don't get my panties in a twist when someone says that because I know that the general observation is that snowboarders can't ride moguls well, and that that is because most of them really can't! One guy ripping moguls on a board is not going to change the perception, nor will a whole crew or a minority percentage. Do I get offended, NO. Actually, I love when people have that view because then they are even more impress when they see me ride moguls. So why can't women take the same stance? Why get offended and whine about what people think? Maybe that's really what makes us say things to offend you. Because we know it'll get a rise out of you.

Leave it to AZ to compare women's suffrage to skiing/riding moguls :D

Cannonball

This reflects all of the wives and girlfriends who sign up here to see what the F their husbands can possibly be spending so much time on the computer for.