• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

This weather is hurting the majority of the ski business

SkiFanE

I ski SRiver 10-15 times per year, and this past Saturday was some of the worst lines I have seen there in years....Granted Barker & Jordan lifts can have a line at anytime of year, but the surprising thing to me was seeing lines on lifts which typically don't have them (or barely a line at all) like: Aurora, Spruce, & NPeak, Tempest. It didn't help that WHeat chair was down most of the day:thumbdown:.

On the busiest of days @ SRiver, you can almost always find a peak (or dare I say a "pod") and lift which is not busy, which Satruday was OZ & Locke chairs.

For some reason Chondola went down in the afternoon. But I was there Saturday and never waited more than a few minutes. We were mostly on Spruce, Aurora and Oz. But Locke was empty. Barker we did singles. The parking lot was crazy but I was surprised at how manageable the lines were, lol. I guess it's all depend on the time of day and luck. Spruce is 90% of the time is ski-on, but Saturday there were maybe 10 groups ahead of us - not bad in my book (unless you compare to ski-on). Worst was WH lift on Sunday - they were loading every other (seems maybe from the smell they were running diesel?) But even then it was 5 minutes...not the usual ski-on.

yeggous

I was at MRG on Saturday for the first time ever. The snow was an amazing legit packed powder, but I could not believe the lines. 30 minutes for the single chair. We got a total of 6 runs all day. I'm used to getting that in the first hour! If I return to MRG, it will be midweek.

Sunday at Sugarbush was much better. The Super Bravo lift had nasty lines during peak hours, but you could easilly move elsewhere. I left very happy with my day.

ALLSKIING

Staff member
I was at MRG on Saturday for the first time ever. The snow was an amazing legit packed powder, but I could not believe the lines. 30 minutes for the single chair. We got a total of 6 runs all day. I'm used to getting that in the first hour! If I return to MRG, it will be midweek.

Sunday at Sugarbush was much better. The Super Bravo lift had nasty lines during peak hours, but you could easilly move elsewhere. I left very happy with my day.

Even with no lift lines you never get a ton of runs in at MRG. 10 runs at MRG feels like 20 any other place.

skiMEbike

For some reason Chondola went down in the afternoon. But I was there Saturday and never waited more than a few minutes. We were mostly on Spruce, Aurora and Oz. But Locke was empty. Barker we did singles. The parking lot was crazy but I was surprised at how manageable the lines were, lol. I guess it's all depend on the time of day and luck. Spruce is 90% of the time is ski-on, but Saturday there were maybe 10 groups ahead of us - not bad in my book (unless you compare to ski-on). Worst was WH lift on Sunday - they were loading every other (seems maybe from the smell they were running diesel?) But even then it was 5 minutes...not the usual ski-on.

Never have an issue getting up the Mtn @ SundayRiver (& didn't mean to imply that). I was just curious what others (more regulars) observed....I just don't ever recall having a singles line (that actually was in use) at Spruce or Aurora, and you can always find an "empty" lift regardless of the crowds IMO.

4aprice

The crowds were definitely out this weekend.

Find this comment very interesting. I was at Burke Sat and maybe waited 2 min once or twice (that's VTK's home isn't it?), then Stowe on Sunday where we were except for maybe once in the morning at Forerunner everything was practically walk on including the gondola. I-87 was steady last night (outside of the snow which made for a long ride).

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

SkiFanE

Never have an issue getting up the Mtn @ SundayRiver (& didn't mean to imply that). I was just curious what others (more regulars) observed....I just don't ever recall having a singles line (that actually was in use) at Spruce or Aurora, and you can always find an "empty" lift regardless of the crowds IMO.

There are a few days when the singles at Spruce is in use every year. But I don't think anything <10min wait is reportable. Oddly...I don't know where the actual skiers were - since the slopes did not seem too crowded. We had most glades to ourselves all weekend. We thought about heading to Jordan, but instincts told us to stay away, probably be a cluster-fuck. Northpeak was ski on 90% of the time this weekend too - have to say SR does a good job of spreading people around - just can't get stuck at Jordan or Chondola. Thank goodness they fixed Locke in time for weekend.

VTKilarney

Find this comment very interesting. I was at Burke Sat and maybe waited 2 min once or twice (that's VTK's home isn't it?), then Stowe on Sunday where we were except for maybe once in the morning at Forerunner everything was practically walk on including the gondola. I-87 was steady last night (outside of the snow which made for a long ride).

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

You have to understand that at Burke crowds are a relative term. By "crowded", that meant that there was a line in the first place - even if it was just a couple of minutes. I observed two rows with about 10 groups or so in each row. That's a true crowd by Burke standards.

For Burke, Saturday and Sunday had to have been some of their peak attendance days of the year. There was a big race on Sunday, and that contributed to crowds.

crank

You can save 15% on your car insurance with GEICO.

njdiver85

Mount Snow on this past Saturday was probably the busiest I've seen it in a long time. And when I went to the 7-11 that evening, the checkout line was wrapped around the entire store. By Sunday afternoon, the 7-11 had even run out of gas!

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Mount Snow on this past Saturday was probably the busiest I've seen it in a long time. And when I went to the 7-11 that evening, the checkout line was wrapped around the entire store. By Sunday afternoon, the 7-11 had even run out of gas!
Does that imply that the lifts from the base lodge looked obscene too?

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I was at MRG on Saturday for the first time ever. The snow was an amazing legit packed powder, but I could not believe the lines. 30 minutes for the single chair. We got a total of 6 runs all day. I'm used to getting that in the first hour! If I return to MRG, it will be midweek
The powderhounds must have been out in full force. There is a fraternity of people,mostly guys, who only show up when the goods are at their best.