• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

This weather is hurting the majority of the ski business

Terry

What the heck is going on?!? This was LOON at 3pm today. Total cars = 1 (me). NH vacation week. Where is everyone?
attachment.php
They were all at Shawnee Peak yesterday. Parking lot was full of NH cars. Was hoping for a quiet day on the slopes but it was quite busy for a friday!

BenedictGomez

That is strange.

I'm think his post was a joke?

Even a small hill that draws from nearby towns has issues with cold keeping people away. View attachment 15948

Good for them.

And it wouldn't surprise me if they're right. Granted, there have been some brutally cold temps lately that would keep almost anyone away, but the "so cold you're going to die" stuff is getting a little ridiculous. I imagine it could have an effect on the casuals.

Cannonball

I'm think his post was a joke?

huh? my post wasn't a joke. Loon was a ghost town on Friday of NH vacation week. Literally nobody there. I got there in the afternoon and jumped straight on the lift with zero wait. I happened to ride with another guy (although it was dead enough to ride solo if you wanted to). He said that he'd been there all day and this was the most crowded he'd seen. My pic of my car in the lot was actual and literal, 1 car in the lot at 3pm. Granted that was a satelite lot, but that lot is typically 50%-100% full on any given day.

Just like the thread title suggests, the resorts don't seem to be seeing the crowds you might expect given the amazing snow conditions.

BenedictGomez

huh? my post wasn't a joke.

I thought you might have been joking because I didn't think there would literally be 1 car in the parking lot, and also because there doesn't seem to be a lot of snow in the photo (up in the mountains, tree clinging etc..).

Cannonball

I thought you might have been joking because I didn't think there would literally be 1 car in the parking lot, and also because there doesn't seem to be a lot of snow in the photo (up in the mountains, tree clinging etc..).

no joke. the snow we've had has been cold and light so no clinging. We haven't had much fresh in the past few days. That is truly, Loon's South Peak lot at 3pm yesterday. I took my dog for a walk there today at 4pm and the lot was 75% full. Good to see actually!

wa-loaf

Was at WA today for the Great Race and the mtn sold out around 11am. Lines totally sucked, even the singles line was tough. Once racing was done it was off to the bar!

Robbski

Saturday at Waterville. Strange arc to the crowd. Got there at 10 and the place was banged out with long lines. Throughout the day the crowds diminished so that our last lift rides,at around 3, on Sunnyside and the main quad were ski on. I Theorized that it was all property owner traffic hitting first tracks and heading off to sun bathe after wearing themselves out after a Beautiful bluebird day with great conditions.

Last edited:

skimagic

Looks like the party is over,, rain line for Wednesday is going pretty far in the the Greens, followed by a freeze, sick day Monday advisable.

Edd

Looks like the party is over,, rain line for Wednesday is going pretty far in the the Greens, followed by a freeze, sick day Monday advisable.

Kinda my fault. I took Wednesday off to ski so I'm responsible for the crappy weather.

Quietman

Was at WA today for the Great Race and the mtn sold out around 11am. Lines totally sucked, even the singles line was tough. Once racing was done it was off to the bar!

at Crotched, except for $9.29 midnight madness on Sat night which was slammed, the Rocket was pretty much ski on for the rest of the weekend, and the woods are still great!

deadheadskier

Staff member
Wish Crotched offered the $30 Sunday afternoon ticket like Attitash and Wildcat. $35 for 2:30 to 5 isn't all that enticing

skiMEbike

I ski SRiver 10-15 times per year, and this past Saturday was some of the worst lines I have seen there in years....Granted Barker & Jordan lifts can have a line at anytime of year, but the surprising thing to me was seeing lines on lifts which typically don't have them (or barely a line at all) like: Aurora, Spruce, & NPeak, Tempest. It didn't help that WHeat chair was down most of the day:thumbdown:.

On the busiest of days @ SRiver, you can almost always find a peak (or dare I say a "pod") and lift which is not busy, which Satruday was OZ & Locke chairs.

Jcb890

We were up at Mount Snow yesterday. Early on it was pretty dead, but it definitely got pretty busy. The whole mountain was open though and running well, so no crazy lines other than the usual at the Bluebird Express (bubble chair)

dlague

Wish Crotched offered the $30 Sunday afternoon ticket like Attitash and Wildcat. $35 for 2:30 to 5 isn't all that enticing

Especially when you can ski half day on Sundays at Sunapee for $39, Ragged for $32 and Okemo for $29 and there may be others.