• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Rename Mount Snow to "Mount Slow"

SkiFanE

I wish I was in the conditioning you are. Sometime between the first tram at 8:15 and the last chair at 4pm, I need to sit down and restore some calories and energy. My hat's off to you for going hard 8hrs on a cliff bar.
. Then I go home and crash :). After breakfast - I don't need much more. Oh - I have kids that often take me away at 2pm - can't always go to 4 - so lunch shortens the 2pm days too much.

Edd

Really? How long does it take? I wouldn't stop for lunch on most days if I didn't have a kid to meet. Tough weather days, yeah I'd grab lunch. But a day like Sunday - nowhere near a lodge. Cliff bar will do me fine. I guess I just go to ski. Socializing is secondary. Dumbest is harsh (IRL, not in net world lol) - but to me it is when I just want to ski. And if it's a good ski day, my blood would boil uncontrollably if a waitress takes 15 mins to get the bill while slopes are waiting.

I'd guess we take 60 to 75 minutes. Time enough for a couple of beers usually, although I've switched it up from time to time. We're weekday skiers, so it's not like we lose time in lift lines. A pow day will alter the routine. It's all good, just hanging with friends.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I guess I rarely feel the need to ski much more than 5 hours in a day. So, stopping for 45min to an hour for a beer or two and a meal doesn't really phase me. I'll usually get after it hard in the morning for 3 hours or so, stop for lunch and then ski for another couple of hours. Unless it's exceptional or I arrived particularly late, I'm typically done by 3PM most days of the year. In the spring time, I'll start later and ski a little bit later in the day. I guess I'm not very hardcore.

SnowRock

I guess I rarely feel the need to ski much more than 5 hours in a day. So, stopping for 45min to an hour for a beer or two and a meal doesn't really phase me. I'll usually get after it hard in the morning for 3 hours or so, stop for lunch and then ski for another couple of hours. Unless it's exceptional or I arrived particularly late, I'm typically done by 3PM most days of the year. In the spring time, I'll start later and ski a little bit later in the day. I guess I'm not very hardcore.

Yeah this is my approach. Try to be there as close to opening as possible and do as much as I can before 11. Then break for 45 mins to an hour.... then get back at it until it feels right to stop. Might be 3, might be 2. I prefer to end a run early than a run late.

Headed to Mt Snow this weekend.. probably 10 years since I have been there outside of opening day this year and I expect crowds. I will be getting my group on the mountain as early as possible as a result.

deadheadskier

Staff member
. I prefer to end a run early than a run late.

Always.

And this winter I'm more cautious than normal in calling it a day as I'm quite out of shape. If I'm starting to ski sloppy, I bag it and stay healthy to ski another day.

bdfreetuna

Always.

And this winter I'm more cautious than normal in calling it a day as I'm quite out of shape. If I'm starting to ski sloppy, I bag it and stay healthy to ski another day.

Agreed on the early start > slay it in the morning > lunch at 12 including most likely beer (and most likely bought in the cafeteria) > go back out with a strategy to ski the best of the goods until I start getting tired or sloppy > go back in the lodge, have a beer > depending how I feel after the beer break, maybe take a couple more runs.

I've only made it to close about 20% of the time this year -- that's fine with me. I've been getting earlier starts and getting more fresh stuff in the mornings.

Pretty out of shape this year too, and a bad back lately.. besides, the only person I need to compete with is myself.

HowieT2

Yeah this is my approach. Try to be there as close to opening as possible and do as much as I can before 11. Then break for 45 mins to an hour.... then get back at it until it feels right to stop. Might be 3, might be 2. I prefer to end a run early than a run late.

Headed to Mt Snow this weekend.. probably 10 years since I have been there outside of opening day this year and I expect crowds. I will be getting my group on the mountain as early as possible as a result.

+1.
I start skiing around 8, im ready for lunch/break at 11:30. plus that seems to coincide with the heaviest lift lines. so I eat, maybe dry out my gloves, and go back out while the lift line thins.

JDMRoma

Cliff bar will do me fine.

I too am in the Cliff Bar camp (Builder Bars)........and well of course a few quick beers to wash it down !

Nothing like Chocolate / Peanut butter and a Sam Adams on a Good ski day !
I not very patient either and really don't like to stop long......are we related SkiFanE :)

SkiFanE

I too am in the Cliff Bar camp (Builder Bars)........and well of course a few quick beers to wash it down !

I not very patient either and really don't like to stop long......are we related SkiFanE :)

Haha - maybe. I am not "hardcore" - more like "desperate" - raising 3 kids and working FT means skiing is a precious commodity - if I have a chance to ski from 8a-4pm - I take it. Yesterday, 2nd best day of year for me so far - and I had to leave at 1pm for kid commitment - kills me! Husband and I also carry a flask and spend lots of time in woods - so we take breaks and are not skiing down groomers all day - can take a hour for a run if we're adventurous or hiking. One reason I never complain about slow lifts - I need the rest time :)

dlague

Quick beer at the Zoomer bar!

drjeff

Having to wait 45 minutes to be seated for lunch at 2pm, and an additional 45 minutes to be served (as my friends did) is one thing. I understand this could totally be avoided if we thought ahead and brought our own lunch. However, a ski area as large as this having multiple lift issues resort-wide, all weekend long is poor customer service. Without exaggeration, during both Saturday and Sunday, I had only 1 lift ride which did not stop multiple times. This includes the high-speed detachable 6-pack. Normally I never ski during holiday/school break periods for all these reasons. However, having experienced it, I'm shocked if this is considered a normal occurrence. In years past, some ski areas had been known to limit their ticket sales to improve the customer experience. From what we encountered this weekend, Mt. Slow has just lost a few returning customers.

Where did you try to eat at 2? In the main base lodge you've got Cuzzins on the 1st floor for sit down service (and with Bruce Jacques playing there on Saturday I'm guessing they had a 15+ minute wait for a table by 11:05 soon after the doors opened at 11)?

The Station Taproom on the 2nd floor of the main base lodge - from personal experience I can attest that it was crowded up there Saturday afternoon!

1900' Burger next to the base lodge? Almost always a decent wait due to the intoxicating smell of cooking burgers drifting over the main base area

The Bullwheel upstairs in the summit lodge? Almost always jammed on a busy day from opening until it closes about 3:30

Or Harrimans Farm to Table in the Grand Summit Hotel? Guessing it wasn't Harriman's as unless you're staying in the hotel most people don't realize its even there

On a crowded day as Saturday was, Mount Snow is undersized for restaurant and bar space - the reality is though if they made the spaces big enough in future renovations, that probably 345+ days a year you'd have way more floor area (wasted space) than needed - most busy ski areas have this same "issue"

As for the lift issue - once you got off of Tumbleweed after having had to go to the Sundance Lodge for your lift ticket, the Sundance Triple that you headed for is about a 13 minute ride - verses had you gone to the main base area and ridden the Canyon Express Quad (which from what I saw while lapping the Bluebird most of the morning with my wife, never had more than a 10 minute line + the 5 minute ride up) would of gotten you North Face access in essentially the same time on Saturday - so to infer wide scale lift infrastructure issues at Mount Snow this past Saturday vs. just the lifts you rode isn't exactly an accurate or fair statement on your part to be fair.

Mount Snow was crowded last Saturday, no doubt about it! And I'm sorry that you ended up caught amongst the masses all day

KD7000

I love Mount Snow on a Saturday! It's the greatest place to be.

During summer or early fall.

On a DH bike.

The Sneak

You should've audibled and gone to Berkshire East or Magic.

BEast has vert similar to the north face at mt snow. And The Red Chair at Magic serves up similar vert as the Bluebird over vastly more interesting terrain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skifree

We should start a new thread. Best mountains to sit in lodge and not ski .
This last weekend was one of the best weekends to SKI this year. Stop bitching about a long wait for chicken fingers !!!

ThinkSnow

As for the lift issue - once you got off of Tumbleweed after having had to go to the Sundance Lodge for your lift ticket, the Sundance Triple that you headed for is about a 13 minute ride - verses had you gone to the main base area and ridden the Canyon Express Quad (which from what I saw while lapping the Bluebird most of the morning with my wife, never had more than a 10 minute line + the 5 minute ride up) would of gotten you North Face access in essentially the same time on Saturday - so to infer wide scale lift infrastructure issues at Mount Snow this past Saturday vs. just the lifts you rode isn't exactly an accurate or fair statement on your part to be fair.

I appreciate your prior advice, but you've got this wrong. I didn't go to Sundance to get my lift ticket-- I already had it. I skied there to finish up some work from the night before. The Tumbleweed triple at the Sundance base was at least a 20 minute wait, followed by constant stopping and starting of the lift while we were on it. I know I weigh more than I should, but it was ridiculous. We took the Sundance triple because we knew that from it we could take the high traverse directly over to the North face, only to find the high traverse closed in a season of (near) record snowfall. We skied down to the lower traverse and took the bubble lift, as we had already wasted a ton of time on the triple, and figured it might be faster (our bad). Every lift stopped multiple times, including the detachables. Of the 6 chairs ridden throughout the weekend, I literally only had one lift ride that did not stop over and over and over again. I can't say the same for any of the 6 other areas I've been to this season.

deadheadskier

Staff member
High traverse was closed from the top of the Sundance Triple over to Exhibition, but was open from Exhibiton on over across to Cascade) on Saturday (and Sunday too for that matter) because of race training (Saturday) and a race (Sunday) on South Bowl.

not a snow issue apparently

gmcunni

was it windy Saturday? i thought i recall reading Stratton had wind holds on many lift Saturday.

ThinkSnow

Fine, not a snow issue. I don't recall any signs indicating the trail closure at the Sundance triple. However, why was there race training & trail closures on a super busy holiday weekend anyway?

ThinkSnow

was it windy Saturday? i thought i recall reading Stratton had wind holds on many lift Saturday.

When we were stuck on the Sundance Triple for the extended time, it was not windy. I heard it did close after the issues it had, but that was the only chair to do so.