• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Rename Mount Snow to "Mount Slow"

drjeff

Participation yes, but I bet they almost all lurk.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Yup, you've got to remember that while they're in the ski BUSINESS (and it is a business after all), that the vast majority of them are just as fanatical about this awesome sport as we all are, so they're curious about what's going on at other places not just from the business perspective, but just from the "that sounds like it was a great day on the hill" perspective

Highway Star

I appreciate your prior advice, but you've got this wrong. I didn't go to Sundance to get my lift ticket-- I already had it. I skied there to finish up some work from the night before. The Tumbleweed triple at the Sundance base was at least a 20 minute wait, followed by constant stopping and starting of the lift while we were on it. I know I weigh more than I should, but it was ridiculous. We took the Sundance triple because we knew that from it we could take the high traverse directly over to the North face, only to find the high traverse closed in a season of (near) record snowfall. We skied down to the lower traverse and took the bubble lift, as we had already wasted a ton of time on the triple, and figured it might be faster (our bad). Every lift stopped multiple times, including the detachables. Of the 6 chairs ridden throughout the weekend, I literally only had one lift ride that did not stop over and over and over again. I can't say the same for any of the 6 other areas I've been to this season.

It's pretty clear you don't know how to navigate the mountain properly on a busy Saturday. Come to Killington some time, you probably won't even be able to get on a lift.

hammer

It's pretty clear you don't know how to navigate the mountain properly on a busy Saturday. Come to Killington some time, you probably won't even be able to get on a lift.
FWIW my one trip to Killington was on a reasonably busy day...key was to get decent intel on which lifts to go on and which to avoid. We even traversed the whole area and still hit most of what we wanted to. That said, I'd be leery of going there on a holiday week much less a holiday weekend.

Highway Star

FWIW my one trip to Killington was on a reasonably busy day...key was to get decent intel on which lifts to go on and which to avoid. We even traversed the whole area and still hit most of what we wanted to. That said, I'd be leery of going there on a holiday week much less a holiday weekend.

You can ski any busy Saturday without waiting more than 2 minutes in a lift line and ski 95% of the mountain.

Last edited:

Glenn

My wife and I thought the lifts stopped a lot at Mount Snow. Even midweek, we'd stop multiple times on the Bluebird.

That said, Sunday was busy at Stratton as well. All the snow brought everyone up this weekend. Traffic Friday night was nuts.

mriceyman

You can ski any peak Saturday without waiting more than 2 minutes in a lift line and ski 95% of the mountain.

For once i agree with HS.. I did ski K on a holiday sat. You just know where to be at K to avoid crowds. Or go to magic and be on the mountain with 100 other people lol

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

legalskier

I posted my experience so that hopefully someone at Mount Snow would take notice. When used correctly, social media (like this) can be a very strong tool. One complaint to skier services at the mountain doesn't do much. When the product is lift service, I am trying to raise the point of poor customer service

In my earlier comment I was going to suggest you contact Customer Service directly, but then deleted it after you said you'd never return there.

I see there is a shuttle bus service called the "MOOver" among the different base areas. Would this have been a better option for you than taking multiple lift rides over to the north face?
http://www.moover.com/routes-timetables/mount-snow

drjeff

In my earlier comment I was going to suggest you contact Customer Service directly, but then deleted it after you said you'd never return there.

I see there is a shuttle bus service called the "MOOver" among the different base areas. Would this have been a better option for you than taking multiple lift rides over to the north face?
http://www.moover.com/routes-timetables/mount-snow

The Moover, amongst other routes (there's actually 8 or 9 different Moover routes that run to various condo complexes, and also as public transportation all over the Deerfield Valley and Windham county) acts as a base lodge shuttle that has a loop that goes from the Main Base Lodge, to the Sundance Base Lodge to the Carinthia Base Lodge and back. You still have to take at least 1 lift to get from any base area over to the Northface

gmcunni

had the high traverse trail not been closed perhaps he would have had a much better day.

was the trail marked closed on the trail report that day?

would OP have even checked the trail report on a day where every mountain in the North East was 100% open?

the guy had a lousy day and won't go back. pretty much end of story.

drjeff

had the high traverse trail not been closed perhaps he would have had a much better day.

was the trail marked closed on the trail report that day?

would OP have even checked the trail report on a day where every mountain in the North East was 100% open?

the guy had a lousy day and won't go back. pretty much end of story.

I can see how the whole High Traverse situation happened. About 2/3rds of High Traverse was open on Saturday, the 1st 1/3rd of it wasn't because South Bowl, which High Traverse cuts across, was closed for race training from 8 until 2:30. You can certainly debate the merits of if a portion of a trail is "closed" should it be listed as closed or open? I'm sure you can also debate about should a connector trail like High Traverse is be labeled in upper, middle and lower portions?? Or would labeling it like that just be a ploy to say artificially increase the total trail count. Mount Snow actually 6 or 7 years ago did away with the "upper", "middle" and "lower" names for the majority of their trails to try and be honest and simplify their snow reporting, and even this past year, the tweaked a few trails names to better represent what typically constitutes a full top to bottom run via 1 trail, rather than parts of multiple trails. The reality as a Mount Snow regular is that High Traverse is a little used connector trail, especially that top section from the top of the Sundance lift on over to Exhibition. That was an issue in this case...

The fact that South Bowl was closed for race training was mentioned on the daily snow report which goes out online and is also listed on the various display boards and printed trail reports posted in and around the various lodges

Last edited: