• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stratton 2.21.15 Wait! No...................................Make that Bromley 2.21.15

xlr8r

So here goes my crazy journey on where to ski solo this weekend. I was planning on skiing Stratton on Sunday on my pass and using Saturday to go to either Magic or Pico on one of my two remaining SkiVT tickets. I figured Stratton would be more crowded on Saturday so it would be best to go somewhere else and ski Stratton on Sunday. I decided on Pico over fears of crowds at Magic with only 1 chair running and not knowing if Magic would accept the SkiVT ticket as Magic considers this weekend a Holiday Weekend. But then looking at the weather it looked like it was going to be windy still on Saturday, and seeing the Pico snow report had the Summit chair on wind hold all day Friday, I decided to switch the days around and go to Stratton on Saturday and Pico Sunday.

I arrived at the Sunbowl just after 9:30 to a traffic jam trying to get into the parking lot, already a bad sign. After booting up at the car I went into the lodge to use the restroom, to find really long lines for both the guest services desk and rentals, and the information TV showed the Gondola, Shooting Star, and Snowbowl lifts all on wind hold, more bad signs. The line for the Sunrise was really bad so I did two runs off the Solstice quad to kill time hoping the winds would diminish. Then I went towards URSA to see how bad its line was and it was outrageously long, skied past to the main base to see a mess of people trying to board the South American and Amex lifts. I now realized this was not worth my time, these were the longest lines I have seen in a decade.

So I went back to the Sunbowl base to my car to check to see how other areas were doing on my phone. I first saw that Pico did indeed have the Summit Express open, so now I was kicking myself mentally. Then I checked Bromley's site and saw that they had all lifts open. That was good enough for me, 20 minutes later just before noon I was in turning in one of my SkiVT tickets at Bromley, ready to try again.

Luckily even though the parking lot was near capacity, the line for the Sun Mountain Express was not long at all, never more than 2 or 3 minutes the rest of the day. Conditions were really awesome soft snow everywhere, almost no ice or scratchy snow. The two glades I went in had excellent coverage, even tried the moguls, which were very forgiving, under the Blue Ribbon quad. It started snowing very hard at 2pm which made the last hour or so awesome as it was hero carving with almost 2 inches and bad visibility. Bromley definitely salvaged the day, and seems like everyone there was having a great time as well. Bromley is a place that I would recommend for families looking for a safe place to learn and ski together. Where everything was a mess and frustrating at Stratton, everything seemed calm and relaxed at Bromley. It might not be that big or have much advanced terrain, but Bromley is a fun mountain to go to every once and a while.

bdfreetuna

Wow I can't imagine how bad the crowds were to make you bail and go to a 2nd ski area. Bromley does a great job considering they don't exactly have the most epic mountain to work with (although it has a unique character and nice sun exposure, and a decent advanced/expert area kind of like Mt Snows North Face, except I guess in this case its South Face). If they put in a couple more lengthy glades like Orion I'd probably visit more often.

Judder

Bennington, VT / Rochester, VT / Sugarbush
I bailed on Sat as well. I stood in the singles line for over 30 min at sunrise, then 40 min at URSA. Took one run through Kidderbrook Ravine, then back to the car and off to some hike and ride. Worst lines I've seen all season.

Glenn

It was beyond busy around 9:30-10AM Sunday.We got one of the last spots in the Sunbowl lot. My wife and I rode the fixed grip for a bit, then went to Ursa...long line! But when we got back to Sunbowl, the crowds were gone. Not a bad lift line. A little later, even less crowded. I think most headed to the main mountain. We were even able to easily pick a seat in the lodge around lunchtime. After lunch, it was really quiet. I think most people were headed home since it was the last day of winter break for some people.

That said, amazing conditions with the fresh snow. We skied Sunbowl all day. Some of those hidden green trails were outstanding. The blues all had nice powder bumps on them.

tekweezle

Saturdays are a zoo at Stratton during peak season and should be avoided. I don't think I've ever had a good day on Saturdays lately. Especially for the hours of 9:30am to 1-2pm. It hurts that the Saturday buses come in via the Sunbowl lot. Also in spite of the 6 packs and the crew's best efforts there is just a severe bottleneck at the Sunrise lift and Ursa.

Sent from a Freedompop HTC Evo 4G

slatham

Glad to see more folks (but not too many please!) giving Bromley a try. We made it our home mountain after several holiday visits, and then seasonal rentals, always to find the crowds very, very manageable even over peak, epic holiday rush times. It's smaller, but has character, can be challenging, and has more glades than most people realize ( right now "non-glade" areas are skiable). If you want more OVERALL vertical on a busy Day you'll get it a Bromley, just in smaller peices. But if bubbles, six packs, and sushi are you're thing, move on. Nothing to see here.

For even more character, challenge and glades, and a surprising amount of grommerd cruisers, and even less crowds, Magic is our home away from home when the snow gods smile.