• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Smuggs

deadheadskier

Staff member
Have to consider not just trail capacity, but wind holds with a detach. A detach would not run as often as the double.

Given that the chair was rebuilt only about ten years ago, Madonna will likely remain as is for a long time.

Sterling is certainly a possibility.

Maybe more than lift improvements, they really could stand to expand their base lodge. That thing might take the prize for "coziest" in New England on busy days.

BenedictGomez

Thinking about it, it was actually four runs: two on M1, one on Sterling, one on M2. That's not counting the time it took to get from and to the ski school meeting place at the base of Morse.

How long was the kid's "ski school" session?

And why would you not count the time to get TO/FROM your child's ski school meeting area - how is that fair?

rocks860

agJIP.gif

MadMadWorld

A few, yes, and amazingly, MMW seemed to agree with my (and most others) general definition of pod back then.

Regardless, this IMO is the best example of pod skiing east of the Mississippi.
If anyone has a better example than this, please post the map so we can see.

gore-trails-LG.jpg

Give it up.

steamboat1

Have to consider not just trail capacity, but wind holds with a detach. A detach would not run as often as the double.

Given that the chair was rebuilt only about ten years ago, Madonna will likely remain as is for a long time.

Sterling is certainly a possibility.

Maybe more than lift improvements, they really could stand to expand their base lodge. That thing might take the prize for "coziest" in New England on busy days.
They just repainted all their chairs & towers summer before last, that includes surface lifts too. Magic would be bankrupt if they had to do the same amount of chairs & towers, especially at $200 a pop.

C-Rex

I'd be happy if Smuggs just put some padding on the chairs (backs too) and bumped up the speed a bit. I say this more for warmth instead of just comfort. I can't believe I'm saying this but maybe if they put in a conveyor loading/unloading system they could run M1 faster while otherwise leaving it alone. It's just such a long ride.

xwhaler

Ski on to Sterling and 1 minute wait at M1 so far this AM. Boarded Sterling at 8:02 so getting some nice vert in....cold up here though. Much windier than yesterday. Natural trails are rock hard wind blown. Groomers skiing outstanding

Attachments

• 1425222476019.jpg
    1425222476019.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 58

xwhaler

And shortly after i posted this the crowds showed up....I see a lot of 7 day passes starting today. Now Sterling is down so lines on M1 are 25 mins ish and M2 even has lines of about 10.
Not sure when/if Sterling will come back on....heard electrical issue?

BBMF

I will argue against high speed quads and such at smuggs. I think they have a nice uphill capacity that's allows skiers to spread out and ends up making it feel like you have the mountain to yourself.
I may have lucked out over the last 3 yrs I have spent a few days there but crowds were at a minimal.
We were just there 2/19 & 2/20. While in Madonna 1 line My 7 yr old asked why the lifts were small and slow. I responded that it was nice to go up two at a time and that maybe it helped keep crowds away- a lift attendant overhead and agreed.
Kind of nice not to have to share a chair with a newbie snowboarder who kicks out into everyone while unloading. Or having a wave of people barreling down on you a second after getting off the lift.
I like it there.....
If folks don't like it they can stay in lower VT at the bubble chair mountains....

VTKilarney

Is it possible to retrofit a carpet on any of these chairs? I'm guessing that the motors aren't up to the task.

Keep in mind that you can install a faster lift but keep capacity the same.

BenedictGomez

Called Smuggs tonight and their reservation desk told me Canuck spring break goes through March 15th this year?

I'm fairly sure she's wrong, unless not all Canadian schools get the same week off, but if that's the case I'm pretty sure it must be 80:20 in terms of the split (meaning, I think most had 02/28-03/08 off).

Can any of the resident Canadians confirm?

VTKilarney

This is correct. It's two weeks this year with any given area having one of the two weeks.

Jay Peak's Quebec break rate is running both weeks.

BenedictGomez

This is correct. It's two weeks this year with any given area having one of the two weeks.

Jay Peak's Quebec break rate is running both weeks.

I'm not seeing that on the site?

http://www.jaypeakresort.com/february-and-early-march-deals

And Mont Sutton would seem to confirm it ends the 8th.

http://www.montsutton.com/en/evenements-et-activites/activites_a_la_montagne/activite/589

I'm really hoping you and Smuggs are wrong, or Madonna 1 will be a zoon that Saturday. Is it Ontario that's the second week? Might necessitate lapping the slackcountry (which isnt a terrible option really).