• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sunday River - 2/23/15

rocojerry

2/23/15

got a nice early start at Sunday River on Monday--

headed up the Chondola and over to Spruce for some warmup groomers (Risky Business and American Express) both provided excellent perfect courdoroy for my morning commute bombing down the mountain before any other souls were on the trails--

I was impresed at the opening of Gnarnia! i've eyed those rock jumps many a year, and it looked like they also thinned out the woods on skiers right providing a nice new on-map steep option on Spruce.. props to SR on that one!

We headed over to Jordan for most of the morning, until wind gusts picked up and temps plummeted.... blind ambition was great -- but less tracked out from the blue side, snuck in pretty high up through some shrubberys.. cut down one shrubbery with, a herring.

ruby palace i thought would be great -- but it did have a few icy sections that were pretty much unavoidable. tin woodsman had some nice wind-filled moguls, and powdery side stashes..

went in for lunch, but with aurora/jordan/chondola on wind-holds, spent a fair amount of the afternoon in the north woods -- until i tried to cut down a tree with... a thigh. Didn't work, so rode the charlie horse home. tree 1 - jerry - 873

a few pictures to come... but this mountain is 110% open. the only ropes i saw were to prevent you from hitting chairlifts that were too low to the snow.

skiMEbike

I thought I would tag along to this Trip Report (vs creating a new one)....

I skied SRiver on Saturday 2/28....Fantastic. Bluebird. Epic. Nothing like skiing the River with terrain & lifts 100%...(only exception being they had some mechanical issues on WHeat chair, so I never made it over there). The Mtn is skiing great right now. As for glades, I did hit up Tango, WGultch, Blind Ambition, and Celestial....I'd put Celestial up there as one of my favorite glades at the River. TOD for me was Vortex....Ton of snow & nice bumps skiers left. Also I thought Tin Woodsman & Downdraft wer skiing very nice....

Couple of pics:

Downdraft:
IMG_0816.jpg

Celestial Glade:
IMG_0817.jpg