• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Area Food Prices

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Burke, February 2015

attachment.php

$1 for a piece of cheese?

Attachments

• WP_20150222_029.jpg
    WP_20150222_029.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 387

VTKilarney

I've always felt that Burke's prices were reasonable for a ski area.

BenedictGomez

I've always felt that Burke's prices were reasonable for a ski area.

Those prices seem fairly on par to me, perhaps a touch high, but to be expected. I think $3.75 for a slice of pizza is the worst on the board, especially since it's not actually pizza, but a PLP*.

*Pizza like Product

deadheadskier

Staff member
As far as ski areas are concerned, that $3.75 price for a slice is a bargain. I paid something like $5.50 + tax at K last fall. It was a large slice, but still.

I enjoyed the $4 Mac n Cheese on my last visit to Burke. It was just a step above Stouffers, but filling enough portion for short cash.

Brad J

I think those prices are very reasonable for a ski area, I wish all ski area's had a price point like Burke, which is about the best value around. My one day there this year I was very impressed with the mt.

bdfreetuna

It's been a little chilly this season. Casual skiers haven't been showing up. We all need to do our part. Did you think you'd visit Vermont and escape taxation?

Those chicken tenders do seem a bit high though.

mlctvt

what's more concerning to me isn't the price but this is all crap food. Go to almost any ski area out west and you'll have all kinds of great and healthy options and fair prices too. This is why I almost never eat at Northeast mountains the food selection is like 20-30 years ago.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Fair point. Few mountains in the East really do well at offering healthy options.

........surprisingly it's not all that different in many hospitals I visit for work around New England. I guess the hospitals are trying to retain current customers and farm future ones.

bdfreetuna

what's more concerning to me isn't the price but this is all crap food. Go to almost any ski area out west and you'll have all kinds of great and healthy options and fair prices too. This is why I almost never eat at Northeast mountains the food selection is like 20-30 years ago.

Definitely good point. Many times recently I've considered that I've just got such a great workout at the mountain -- just to stack on the pounds again eating the fried food.

I could pack a lunch but I have barely enough organizational skills to make it to the mountain. And just because it's healthy doesn't mean it needs to be twice the price.

Abominable

Is this bar or cafeteria? I pretty much expect nyc bar prices at ski hills these days, 8 for a soup/chili, 12 bucks for a full sand which plate.

The only bargains are buy backs and for that you need the local spots.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

bluebird

If it's going to be unhealthy, they could at least have poutine on the menu. :grin:

abc

what's more concerning to me isn't the price but this is all crap food. Go to almost any ski area out west and you'll have all kinds of great and healthy options and fair prices too.
The difference is, the western ski resorts are destination resorts. So their clientele are there having a VACATION!!!

Some families will choose a different destination base on choice of food. So, having decent offering in food choice will make a resort stand out, or those without will stand out as "down market" resorts.

Whilst in the northeast, most of their clienteles are day trippers. I hate to say this, but only clienteles like @bdfreetuna will be buying foods at the cafeteria! They're disorganized and desperate for ANY food, and will be paying whatever the mountain charge to have such crap food.

I confess being one of those who pack my own lunch when skiing in the northeast. I will even prepare my own lunch even when skiing out west, by making a stop at the local grocery supermarket! However, if a mountain offers decent food choices with fair prices, I will then make it a "holiday" by NOT bothering to make my own lunch for the trip but indulge on being lazy!!!

It's not all about money. I eat out plenty during the work week. I just don't feel like paying premium for crap food. Heck, I don't want to eat crap food even if it's not expensive! However, I suspect there's not a profitable market for decent on mountain food in the northeast?

makimono

Fortunately for my wallet a beer and half a cliff bar is about all I like to eat during a ski day...can't slam bumps with a jelly belly full of processed cheeze goo.

steamboat1

An $18 lobster roll washed down with a $8 kettle one Bloody Mary at 4,000ft works for me. Even get 10% off on the lobster roll (with tax that comes to $18.)

Such a deal!!

Bison burgers ain't bad either.

Did I mention pasta?

You guys must eat at some pretty chitty places,

Last edited:

snoseek

You ever see the line up around noon?

It's not the prices that keep me away, its quality of food.

snoseek

An $18 lobster roll washed down with a $8 kettle one Bloody Mary at 4,000ft works for me. Even get 10% off on the lobster roll (with tax that comes to $18.)

Such a deal!!!

Is this at Killington? Sounds like a great deal, I would be all over it.