• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sunday River vs North Conway area

Gurus

Soliciting any and all input concerning a last minute tripfor the week of March 16. Just two daysof skiing.

The original thought was keep it simple and do 2 days atSunday River. Good snow. Easy pick. Safe choice.

I have now stumbled upon an inexpensive lodging option inNorth Conway. Further research shows anumber of areas close by. Black,Cranmore, Wildcat, Attitash, etc. Someof which may or may not offer up the consistency of Sunday River.

Yes, character beats consistency, however, when faced withjust 2 days, which choice is best? As afor instance, a wind hold would halve the trip.

With that, I would love to hear from the New England crowdwhat they would do. A few items toconsider:

• There are two of us, one boarder, one skier.
  • We plan on visiting mid-week.
  • We don’t mind lower angle trees.
  • Lift type does not matter.
  • On mountain food does not matter.
  • Friendly people matter.
  • We like trails with turns and twist and rollers.
  • Even though we like turns, twists and rollers,we don't mind fun, fast carves on corduroy.

• We steer clear of bumps.

Thanks in advance for all the help! As a return of the favor, we promise not todrive too slow on your roads. We won’tstop in the middle of trails. We won’tdick around in the lift line. We won’tlitter.

As a bonus – on the return drive back to Pennsylvania, wemay opt to drive along the coast. Anythoughts on places with great views of the coast, lighthouses, etc?

Thanks!

deadheadskier

Staff member
For you Sunday River sounds like the better skiing experience. It's a big place, almost as large as all the N Conway areas combined.

As far as lighthouses, Portland Headlight is iconic. 1A in NH is an exceptional coastal drive.

Edd

It's a toss up, with the info you've given. Dining options in NC far exceed those in Bethel but you're only skiing two days. Wildcat and Attitash both provide some challenge if you're looking for that. Since you mentioned low angle trees, Bretton Woods has more of those than just about anyone.

If you're headed for the coast, you'll get to the Portland area quicker from NC than Bethel. As I remember, there's a notable lighthouse in Cape Elizabeth.

Gurus

Thanks for the info, already. Apologies for the horrid punctuation. It appears that my browser monkeyed it up. :)

mccleaks

Conway is a cool town. If you will be heading out of the house at night to go out to eat, do some shopping, etc then that might be the better choice. That said, its going to be a little bit of a ride out to the mountain in the morning. Cranmore is right in town, but its not worth your drive all the way from PA to ski there. You probably have similar mountains at home.
Sunday River is a bit more secluded. It is right in/next to a small town with some things to do, just not as much stuff to do as Conway. It is also basically its own little town once you pull on the access road. Anything you really need is right there. The big bonus to me is the ability to stay on the mountain or at least on a shuttle route. That gets you out on the hill a lot easier in the morning.
Skiing wise... Black, Attitash, and Wildcat are all nice mountains with some good terrain. Sunday River is massive compared to any of the NH mountains though. They have any type of terrain you could be looking for all in one place.

I haven't been either place in the last few weeks, but weather wise it seems that Sunday River has been getting a bit more snow lately. Anywhere I have skied in New England in the last month has had fantastic conditions though.

If you want to drive the coast, head to Maine and the River. Depending on how long of a drive you want to do, you could follow Rt 1 all the way from the Portland area where Sunday River's exit from I-95 is down to NH, or even beyond that into MA. The Portland waterfront is a cool area and a good place to stop for a meal. They have a cool light house or 2 in the area too. Kennybunkport is also a good place to cut out to the coast.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Just to clarify the above, 1A is what you are looking for. Route 1 in Maine has minimal water views south of Portland until you get to Wells. I would take 95 South from Portland until exit 19 in Wells. Take 1 south from there to 1A in ogunquit to 103 in York. That route gets you the most coastal views in southern Maine

dlague

If you were considering SR, then do not waste your time going to Black Mountain or Cranmore. Your lift ticket for Attitash is good at WildCat and vise versa (20 minutes apart) - technically could experience both in one day. Bretton Woods is much like SR on a smaller scale being about half the size. Dinning options are definitely better on North Conway and probably more to do during down time (not sure about mid week though). Another consideration, 20 minutes further than Bretton Woods (from North Conway) is Cannon.

Personally, I would prefer Sunday River - more mountain, but the daily lift ticket costs are slightly higher also. Although, from North Conway - worse come to worse - SR is a little over an hour away!

dlague

Bretton Woods has twofer Wednesdays for $75
Cannon has Tuesdays & Thursdays: tickets are just 2-for-$74
Wildcat/Attitash has St. Patrick's Day Tuesday, March 17 $17 Full Day Lift Ticket (can be used at both the same day)

Sunday River advanced Purchase $69

Vortex

I would choose Sunday river, but I am a homer. I have a house in the fore mentioned town of Bethel 6 miles from the Hill.
In general I think North conway has great Dinner options and I love wildcat. If you go to North Conway ski wildcat.

Sunday river has some cool options, but you have to know the lay of the land. They have a free Shuttle that runs into Bethel. Some Really nice Places to Eat IMO in Bethel. If you decide to go to Suday river Send me a message and I wil give you a little more info. Enjoy your trip. Its really about an hour. You could base out of north conway and ski both the north conway Area and Sunday River, each one day. I use to rent a place in north Conway every year and ski a few places there and drive two days to Sunday River.

skiMEbike

• Even though we like turns, twists and rollers,we don't mind fun, fast carves on corduroy.

• We steer clear of bumps.

Considering the above....Definitely Sunday River !!

I have only been to a couple of the NH Mtns you mentioned but I believe SRiver will provide the most consistent reliable snow conditions. They are the king of corduroy. In addition, they are less prone to wind holds than say Wildcat.

Smellytele

Used to have a house every year in the Conway area and as noted above Sunday River was always on the radar and not that far of a drive from NC. NC offers so much more to eat see and do. Unless you like generic resort food and atmosphere. i would stay in NC and ski a day at SR and a sunny day at Wildcat. Views are to die for at Wildcat.

SkiFanE

Used to have a house every year in the Conway area and as noted above Sunday River was always on the radar and not that far of a drive from NC. NC offers so much more to eat see and do. Unless you like generic resort food and atmosphere. i would stay in NC and ski a day at SR and a sunny day at Wildcat. Views are to die for at Wildcat.

Maybe if you stay on mountain (I never eat there). But we have a house in Bethel Village near BobR and think there are decent choices. I don't eat sushi, but people rave about Cho sun. Pubs, Italian, American Inn fare - for a 2 day trip OP will find enough options. We probably go to Miltons most. And it's 6mi from mountain. Check out Bethel Inn or Sudbury Inn.

bigbog

Bethel(addition): BobR holds head-bangin' grillin' parties too...but if you haven't been by the Presidential Range..just out of N.Conway but easily seen between Conway and N.Conway...it's pretty impressive, especially since NH #16 runs northward just off the eastern side, between Tuckerman Ravine, Mt. Washington summit....and Wildcat, just a stone's throw on the other side of the road. Great little ski area with great views of Mt. Washington...and a few nice tree lines off the side.

If you ever get over to the Portland/So.Portland area...here's a little tour, close to the coast that'll either be pretty good or the most boring bit of auto-touring hints ever...
....from the So. Portland/Maine Mall area, heading out to Cape Elizabeth and southward(for ~20mi)..you can see some nice little stretches of the Maine coast.
If you can find #77, at some point, it's a nice drive..south of South Portland, gets you down to Cape Elizabeth(head to the water towards the light @Two Lights State Park), on down and around to Spurwink Rd - hang a left on one of the little roads out to *Higgins Beach(great beach,but now the shacks are on top of each other and less mileage to walk..as was decades back with more beach/rocks) but still a nice beach/water/rocks/stripers.
Heading south on Spurwink Rd to Black Point Rd(#207) to #1, south a few miles past Scarborough Marsh then a left on Pine Point Rd(a seafood option as well).
Old Orchard Beach area is a few miles to the south(on E.Grand Ave.).
There are a few exits to #95 around there(one closeby and one northward ~5mi, so you can hop back on #95.
Both Wells Beach(@Wells exit #9/#109E) and Ogunquit Beach...are ~30mi(+/-) to the south..off of #95.
$.01

Last edited:

Vortex

Maybe if you stay on mountain (I never eat there). But we have a house in Bethel Village near BobR and think there are decent choices. I don't eat sushi, but people rave about Cho sun. Pubs, Italian, American Inn fare - for a 2 day trip OP will find enough options. We probably go to Miltons most. And it's 6mi from mountain. Check out Bethel Inn or Sudbury Inn.

SS Milton is awesome and very well priced, Same here Mrs not a sushi person, but Cho sun, is a favorite of many. Lots of options in walking distance of town. Skifane I live in town is that near the village? :)

SkiFanE

SS Milton is awesome and very well priced, Same here Mrs not a sushi person, but Cho sun, is a favorite of many. Lots of options in walking distance of town. Skifane I live in town is that near the village? :)
We are Village People!!!

SIKSKIER

Here is a suggestion.Stay in NC and ski Wildcat the first day.Next day travel to SR (1 hr) and then head towards Portland Me(1 1/2 hr) and travel the coast south.