• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow - this weekend intel (2/28)

gmcunni

Shitstorm crowded or post Pres week lull?

it is club weekend ($50 tx) so leaning toward crazy crowded

drjeff

Shitstorm crowded or post Pres week lull?

it is club weekend ($50 tx) so leaning toward crazy crowded

My guess is a "normal" weekend crowd overall - supposed to be cold again Saturday AM, and that has kept the crowds down a bit the last few weekends. Threat of snow later on Sunday will also likely keep some of the more "fair weather" crowd away then. I will admit that I'm not exactly looking forward to driving Sunday AM over to Willard Mountain in New York State (a bit due East of Saratoga) for my daughters race!! Mount Snow is in PRIME condition right now, and while I do enjoy watching my kids race, even on a small, 500ft vertical hill that I used to race at back in High School, I'd rather be on the North Face on Sunday in the trees!!

bdfreetuna

Magic8ball-Yes.jpg

vonski

I am on the edge with the CT ski council day being 50 or going to Magic. I would think Sat will be #$#% show at Mt. Snow. crowds tend to back off in March but this is still end of February and Folks might be looking to getting in those missed days cause of the cold. But cold could keep some away as well. CRAP Shoot I guess!

C-Rex

Come to Platty and ski with Scotty and me instead. If you order online tix re $47 on sunday.

gmcunni

Come to Platty and ski with Scotty and me instead. If you order online tix re $47 on sunday.

i do need to pop my platty cherry but not this weekend. crashing at a buddy's house in Wilmington, taking daughter and her friend for the weekend.

skifree

just stay away from bubble and it will be fine. I will be there tomorrow enjoying the balmy 15 degree day.

drjeff

just stay away from bubble and it will be fine. I will be there tomorrow enjoying the balmy 15 degree day.

Or if you do go on the bubble and are with a group, remember that they've reworked the singles lanes, so that there's now 4 per side instead of the old 2, so that even though intuitively they may look like they're going to be a shorter wait, the reality is, as I've found out in both the singles and regular lanes, that if you've got an even length line in the queue lanes, they're just about going to take the same time, and in some instances, as it has seemed like many more groups are "six-ing up" in the queue lanes, the regular lanes are actually faster than the singles lane

Talisman

CSC skidays are fairly predictable the CSC club members love bargains but usually aren't early risers. Beat the rush and get in lift line by 7:58 AM. Lap the 6 pack or HSQ until the lines start to build in the mid morning, head to the North Face and do laps until your legs get rubbery by 1:30 to 2:00. Ski down the South face and nibble a Cliff Bar on the slow quad. Get a little silly and ski Bear Trap. See if the crowds are done on the main face and lap the under loved lifts until the ropes go up. At four runs an hour and two summit pit stops you should get at least 30 runs for $50, not too shabby.

gmcunni

CSC skidays are fairly predictable the CSC club members love bargains but usually aren't early risers.

LOL, that's me.. cheap and a late riser, especially when i have 2 16 YO girls skiing with me who like to get up around noon.

drjeff

LOL, that's me.. cheap and a late riser, especially when i have 2 16 YO girls skiing with me who like to get up around noon.

Nice, I'll have my 20k verts in by noon and be up in the bar by your 1st run! ;-) :lol:
(Having a 9 yr old and an 11yr old both on the race team at Mount Snow with a morning meet up at 8AM has it's early morning skiing benefits for sure! :)

C-Rex

Any idea how the CSC day at Mount Snow this Saturday will effect Stratton or Bromley? I mean, are there generally smaller crowds at those two when Snow has an awareness day? I'm trying to decide if it's worth going up there or if I should just go to Berkshire East on Sat.

gmcunni

Any idea how the CSC day at Mount Snow this Saturday will effect Stratton or Bromley? I mean, are there generally smaller crowds at those two when Snow has an awareness day? I'm trying to decide if it's worth going up there or if I should just go to Berkshire East on Sat.

i thought you were going to platty?

SnowRock

I'm headed up with a group tonight. Will be 7 of us.. all dudes (mostly escaping child care duties for 2 days) I should be able to motivate them to hit the lifts early as close to 8am as possible for tomorrow. Sunday may be harder as most of the group are <3-5 times a year guys and a few are at Hunter today before heading up.

Game plan that makes the most sense? ....Main face then nNrth, then see where looks less crowded? We will probably break around 11, 11:30 best spot for that?. Also apres should we plan on Station Tap Room (i like beer)?

I had a few winters with a share in Mt snow but that was 10-12 years ago and my only visit since was opening day friday this year (was pretty nice). Where for dinner, Forge still a solid option? Others? Dover Bar still a good dive option for a drink?

Talisman

As a CSC member I follow the cheap tickets and get an early start to get my $ worth. Bromley should be fine crowd wise. Magic is another good place to avoid crowded slopes if there is no major event to clog the red chair corral. But I have no crystal ball and general pick the slowest check out line when shopping.

C-Rex

I'd love to go to Magic but I'll have an intermediate with me that will not appreciate being dragged down the good stuff. And since I can't NOT ride that stuff when I see it I'm just going to go somewhere more mellow. I might actually go to Catamount just so I can go to Gypsy Joynt for dinner after in Great Barrington.