• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Catamount?

twinplanx

Anybody ski there recently? Heading up with my brother & niece Sunday. It will be her second time. Just wondering what to expect. Looks like a warm day, so we will attempt to get an early start and have a low key kinda day...

Last edited:

Root16

I skied there last Sunday. Get there early for best conditions as Catamount conditions usually don't hold up too well after 1pm, although I guess the easy trails hold up better than the more difficult ones?

For easy trails to start off with, you'll prolly want to ride the triple on the left side of the mountain. The midstation services easiest trails, and the summit offers up some blue squares, but with one option for green. You'll probably want to spend most of your time on this lift if its only your nieces second time. Otherwise, read on for more challenging/interesting options:

For easy/intermediate trails, Ridge Run (left at top of quad) to Mountain View or Walter's Way. For Intermediate/Advanced take Upper Alleycat (right at top of quad) and go left on Sidewinder for an easier route and then right on Fisher's Fluke for a more interesting final act. Or continue onto Lower Alleycat instead of going left on Sidewinder if you want more challenge. Off Stage is a dedicated bump run which is decent. My favorite trail is Glade (right at top of quad and straight down) as it's wide and relatively steep (for Catamount). Catapult is the only Double Black open and it's best to hit it before noon; it likely still has moguls on it, but there is a chance it's been groomed; you'll see it on the left from the quad lift when the lift starts to go up steeply.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Meadows quad is great for beginners. Once she's through with that take Ridge Run from the summit and avoid the complete shitshow on Sidewinder. I've never seen a trail that gets scraped off quicker.

twinplanx

She will be in a lesson at 9:00 so that should free us up for a bit. Not worried about finding our way around. More concerned with crowd management.Apparently they have a 4hr ticket that saves a whopping $5 off a full price ticket...

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
She will be in a lesson at 9:00 so that should free us up for a bit. Not worried about finding our way around. More concerned with crowd management.Apparently they have a 4hr ticket that saves a whopping $5 off a full price ticket...

Crowds on the main quad are no biggie. Same witht he summit double, which good if you just want Sidewinder, Glade, and Alleycat. The Triple always has the longest lines, but shouldn't be too bad. Catty is limited by the size of their parking lot- its way too small. Keeps crowds down.

Definitely do Catapult. Its usually bumped up. Same with Off Stage, Lynx and the skiers right of Glade. Lots more variety than other area mountains.

twinplanx

Thanx for all the info guys. Sounds like we scored some tickets from a shop in Stamford, CT (Where my brother lives)

Last edited:

twinplanx

Hey guys. Just want to say I was impressed with Catamount, snow conditions were great. We got there early & scored Rock Star Parking :) Lovin the old school lodge, but the restaurant service SUCKED. Anyway it was a good day...

twinplanx

Hey, you know what? My niece is only 3 and even she did not have an issue with it... lol forgot about that old thread. Thanx for jogging my memory DHS :)