• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow

Yooper

Let me preface this by saying I am not trying to be negative but strictly my Observation of my Mount Snow Day. Skied Friday 27th Blue Sky, Light Wind, Beautiful. Conditions excellent even off the Groom only a few spots scrapped down to rocks, surprising for a Friday also whit Boiler Plate later in day. Crowds not bad considering Vermont Kids have the week off. Okay but here it is, after reading the Ski Conditions for the last three weeks (had not been to Snow since Feb 4) saying epic amount of snow over 70 inches since first of Feb I was rearing to get back out, but when I pulled into Parking Lot it was evident No such amounts. I have one of my Ski Poles marked with depth marks on it and when going off the Groomed (so as not to be influenced by snowmaking) I made depth checkes in Glades. The most on average I found was was 30 some inches. I have no idea how they measure to achive 6 foot depths. I always believe no matter what hype a Resort reports divide it by 2. So much for Truth in Reporting.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Probably some exaggeration, but snow compacts over time, especially with people skiing on it. I know we've had about six feet of snow in February at my home. It hasn't been warm enough to melt much at all. You would be hard pressed to find many spots in the yard deeper than 3 feet right now.

Savemeasammy

I'm sure that Mt. Snow, like everywhere else, uses the most generous totals they can find. However, snow DOES settle. The snowpack in my yard is maybe 24-30 inches, even though we've received well more than that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tin

Measuring snow in the glades is completely different than anywhere else on the mountain. 90% will have significantly less snow but some could have more depending on wind, wind direction, the density of the snow when it fell, and what type of trail surface it fell on.

mriceyman

Compaction .. If you get a 2' storm the next day it will measure about 18-20"

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
From a weather measurement point of view, after 6" you need to clear off the measuring device, as compaction will begin at that point. Now, if you can catch it at a 1:18" ratio, you'll have the real deal all day. Alas, in the east it won't last that long.

At this point, the only thing a deep base will give you is more trails staying open longer.

the New Snow metric is the one you are looking for.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I was there today and the 12th/13th of this month. Sure, I'm not expecting 6 feet of snow covering the trails, but you can tell its been a very snowy month. There are lines that are skiable now that usually don't come into play during a normal season. The naturals are showing no ice or rocks at all. My helmet that was new this year has gotten "worn in" VERY quickly from branches hitting my head because of the deep base.

In essence, if you're complaining now, you're doing something wrong.

slatham

While the reported amounts at Mt Snow may be inflated, based on what I have experienced being up there every weekend and then some, reporting that 6' of snow has fallen is not off the mark. But there are a couple of key things to keep in mind:

1) It has been cold, even during storms. So the snow has often been Utah-like light and dry. This type of snow undergoes significant compacting over time.
2) It has been extremely windy. Wind further aids compacting and, depending upon exposure, may scour out fallen snow, even in the woods.
3) Fallen snow does not equal snow on the ground. Even during a storm snow compacts. This is why the official method for measuring snow is to use a "neutral" surface and once the snow has accumulated 1" you clear the surface. Repeat and add up.

I won't jinx it by saying it, but the real unique aspect of the last 6 weeks isn't how much snow has fallen.....

Abominable

I just got lost in a tree well at magic. Had to unstrap my snowboard upside down.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

I am going to be heading up to Mt. Snow on Xmas with 3 young skiers and one young snowboarder. As they are not terribly advanced, we will be sticking to the easier trails. With one being a snowboarder, though, I am worried that trails which require traverses (as some easy trails as big mountains do) will be a challenge for her.

Can anyone advise as to what Mt Snow trails feature significant traverses that may be difficult for a young snowboarder?