• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Magic 2/28/15

medfordmike

I skied Magic for the first time on Saturday and brought along a friend. He is a lower blue skier and despite a few people "warning" him about Magic he was willing to give it a try for the first time as well. Conditions were great with blue skies, packed powder, and no wind. Cold to start but it was in the 20s by lunch.

I have tried to hit Magic in the past but there always seemed to be a reason my trip didn't happen. I had a feeling lines might be a bit long given the weather and some events that were happening yesterday but I didn't want to let the opportunity pass by with so much coverage there. Overall fantastic conditions and my friend did fine on all the groomers and enjoyed his day there. I really enjoyed the terrain at Magic and I can see why folks are partial to the place. I would definitely go back although the mountains in southern VT are a bit beyond a normal day trip for me.

The mountain was busy enough that lines at one point for us were getting to 15-20 minutes. Part of that is bad timing and hitting it when the racers would be there. Other times around ten minutes was probably the norm. From following these forums I had a sense of what Magic would be like and I was not disappointed. I like a big mega resort mountain now and again but my general preference is throwback places. That being said my friend made the comment "I liked it but I enjoyed Berkshire East (where we skied last weekend) better. I am not good enough for the hard stuff and Berkshire was closer with no lines". I am sure he would go back with me or someone else but he just would not pick it as a destination on his own.

I only mention it because Magic is loved by many advanced/expert skiers and those looking for a community feel but probably more middle of the road casual skiers is what they need to make money. Also I know in other places on AZ people wondered during the holiday week if limited lift capacity would discourage repeat visits. I am not sure what the answer is but I think it is a challenge for them given limited resources.

IMG_0570.jpg

The Sneak

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425233330.671797.jpg

We were there too.
Big TGR meet up plus racing plus Ski The East Freeride Tour equals a busy day and very high concentrations of sick brahs making us mortals look foolish.

Had an awesome day and skied right up to last chair. Here's a shot of Twilight Zone mid-afternoon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

medfordmike

Sneak,
Much better than my "oh wait I am back to the car and never took a picture" shot. :grin:

I am not surprised it was busy. I don't mind standing in line that much if the company is good and the conditions great. So all in all a good day in my book.

Abominable

And today was pretty quiet and killer!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

snobrdr13

I'm enjoying reading your reviews. It's cool that you take the time to write them. Can you indicate the location along with the name of the resort? This is my second year, even though I'm 40, snowboarding and a lot of these places' names are new to me. Thank you!!

The Sneak

Hi there
We are referring to Magic Mountain in the Londonderry, Vermont area. Check it out sometime!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

keyser soze

I almost went there today, but instead opted for Pico after seeing some of the posts here about 1 of the 2 lifts having sporadic service.