• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Douchebag litterbugs

VR17

I generally don't stereotype, but I will here, Smokers are generally some of the most disrespectful clueless people I have ever seen. Sit in their car smoking then throw the lit but out the window on the sidewalk or anywhere else they happen to finish puffing. I swear you would find dead butts on top of Mt Everest. Thank God they banned smoking on planes, bars and many other public establishments.

mlctvt

a few years back I was at Mount Snow. While on the lift there were some kids probably 14-15 years old and they were opening candy and dropping the wrappers off the lift. After this happened more than once I was getting really pissed- I shouted "hey kids you let one more piece of garbage fall from that chair and I've have your ski pass taken away". They stopped.

ThinkSnow

Something Wachusett Mountain does well:

Earth Day:
Annually hosting hundreds of volunteers to help clean up the area on Earth Day each spring. These individuals police the ski area grounds, as well as nearby roads to collect trash and pick up debris. Participants receive a complimentary lift ticket and barbecue lunch.

Jcb890

Unless space does not allow in their lodge, I prefer resorts that have a no bag storage at the table policy and enforce it.

I also feel that all resorts should be like Killington and offer complimentary bag storage. It shouldn't be a profit center. It should be a service the resort provides that improves the overall lodge experience for everyone; not just those who use it.

Mount Snow does this, yet people still leave bags hanging on hooks or under the tables all day. Usually people are OK about it though if you sit down. I haven't had anyone throw a fit about it, which like you guys said, would be ridiculous.

Also, I am not a fan of littering. However, I managed to lose a wrapped from a protein bar off the lift last time out. I had left it in there to throw away and pulled it out on accident when I had put my gloves in and out of the pocket. I felt bad.

BenedictGomez

I think it would be in the best interest of the ski area to place signs up discouraging the practice, then I'd gladly point to sign as I plunk down my cafeteria tray with RESORT BOUGHT food and tell them to move all their made-at-home food. If you can't find a place to eat/drink..why would you buy food?

I can go without eating lunch, and there have been more than a few times I've said, "screw it" and just went back out skiing due to lack of seating. I doubt this is common, but there are definitely times when resorts do lose food/bevy money from this.

so many bags, not enough room. That's the problem. Why people have to bring body bags into the lodge is beyond me, but they do it.

WTH is in all these bags anyway? I've NEVER brought a bag into a lodge with me my entire skiing life. I boot up at the car, and I'm wearing what I need for the weather that day. I dont need to store the contents of a walk-in closet in the cafeteria.

I generally don't stereotype, but I will here, Smokers are generally some of the most disrespectful clueless people I have ever seen.

You probably shouldn't have started with this example. Dumb.

tumbler

Sugarbush had the Mtn Dew Vertical Challenge this past Sunday and gave away free Dew and Gatorade. There were cans and bottles all over the mountain and all kinds of different colored snow from kids pouring it out from the lift, in the corrals, etc. There were no garbage cans at the top of the lift- bad planning.

deadheadskier

Staff member
WTH is in all these bags anyway? I've NEVER brought a bag into a lodge with me my entire skiing life. I boot up at the car, and I'm wearing what I need for the weather that day. I dont need to store the contents of a walk-in closet in the cafeteria.

I bring a modest backpack into the lodge with me. It has:

My ski socks for the day
My ski pants if the commute is over 90 minutes, so basically 90% of the time
Balaclava
Back up gloves
An alternate mid-layer
Alternate goggles
A shirt for the end of the day
Boot heater batteries
Ski lock
2 frozen bottles of water and usually a granola bar
Advil

The bag is about the size of a typical school book bag.

Do you not bring anything but what you're wearing to the mountain or do you leave extra items in the car?

gmcunni

My ski socks for the day
Balaclava
Back up gloves
An alternate mid-layer
Alternate goggles
Boot heater batteries
Ski lock
Advil

Do you not bring anything but what you're wearing to the mountain or do you leave extra items in the car?

i day trip too. transpack boot bag full of basically same stuff as you.

Scruffy

RE: bags...so many bags, not enough room. That's the problem. Why people have to bring body bags into the lodge is beyond me, but they do it. SR has tons of cubbies and hooks, and they get all used by 9am on a normal weekend day, then they go under the tables. No other choice, really. So I get a cubby, or stacked in front of it...under table is last place b/c stuff gets spilled and stepped on, that's expected. I don't get upset the shit is there, there is no other place.

A lot of areas ban bags under tables ( Sugarbush, Killington, etc.. ) some areas don't. Bags under tables usually don't bother me as log as they are not there to claim the table. At my home area, it's customary to put your bags under the tables, the tables are big enough to make it not an issue to sit and enjoy lunch, at least for my long legs.

Depends on the area. Out west, it's customary to boot up at the car; when in Rome. At Aspen last week, we booted up in the condo and took the shuttle to the mountain, if I over dressed though, I suffered all day. Out east here, I usually bring a transpack sized backpack boot bag into the lodge. Inside are my boots, helmet, several glove options, goggles, sun screen, Advil, and maybe a fleece vest. The thing with eastern resorts is, they are so compact in size, it's easy to get back to the base lodge to adjust attire. Plus, I don't like walking on pavement in my ski boots if I don't have to, wrecks them. Sometimes I'll throw some jeans in the bag to change into after skiing if the drive is long, or if it;s spring skiing, I usually like to change in to jeans and t-shirt after skiing.

Tin

BG where do you put your keys? I used to carry them in a pocket until a large Subaru key impaled my quad.

MadMadWorld

To go along with this "me" attitude. At the end of the day my kids grabbed an empty round table with about 8 chairs around it. I noticed a bag under the table by one of the chairs that I happen to sit at to remove my boots. I guy came and stood behind and my kids said he had an angry perplexed look on his face and was mouthing "why is this guy sitting here". I sensed him behind me then he reached in and roughly grabbed his bag. There were 5 or so empty seats but he choose the seat next to me and swung it a round right up against the back of mine. I was then saying to my kids that no one owns the tables even when they store their stuff at a table. I heard him huffing and puffing behind me.

That's why I avoid mountains with these types of people. I was at MRG last Sunday and it was busy during lunch. Someone saw me looking for a place to sit and someone who saw me had his whole group move down a chair and offered a spot at their table. These folks were complete strangers but this happens all the time when I'm at Wildcat, Magic, MRG, and Smuggs (when it's not a shit show).

MadMadWorld

At Sunday River they will set out a tablecloth early in the AM and therefor they own it. I will definitely make myself comfy if there is noone occupying the seat.

RE: bags...so many bags, not enough room. That's the problem. Why people have to bring body bags into the lodge is beyond me, but they do it. SR has tons of cubbies and hooks, and they get all used by 9am on a normal weekend day, then they go under the tables. No other choice, really. So I get a cubby, or stacked in front of it...under table is last place b/c stuff gets spilled and stepped on, that's expected. I don't get upset the shit is there, there is no other place.

Table cloth? I would go buy a nice pulled pork sandwich (extra messy) and proceed to use it as my own personal napkin

BenedictGomez

My ski socks for the day
Balaclava
Back up gloves
An alternate mid-layer
Alternate goggles
Boot heater batteries
Ski lock
Advil

Jeez, you're high maintenance. I sometimes have an extra pair of skis in the car if I'm uncertain of the conditions. My boot bag in the car has spring gloves in case it's warm, and that's about it.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Jeez, you're high maintenance. I sometimes have an extra pair of skis in the car if I'm uncertain of the conditions. My boot bag in the car has spring gloves in case it's warm, and that's about it.

High maintenance? No. Prepared so I'm comfortable out on the hill no matter the weather instead of hanging out in New Jersey and bitching about the cold? Yes