• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington Rude Employee

EOS

This past weekend (Fri - Sun) 3 buddies and myself went up and skied Killington.

Conditions were really really good! 100% open. Minimal ice. Excellent base.

BEGIN rant:

Sunday morning we head over to Snowshed to pick up a pair of skis that we left at Potter Brothers the night before to get tuned. We park in the load/unload section because we are just grabbing them, then headed to park at SkyShip for the day.

As we get out, a parking attendant comes over and tells us we need to put the hazard lights on while we run up. We think - No problem and put on the hazard lights!

**But as we are walking up towards the buildings, an employee (older guy with a mustache, in a dark red ski jacket and black ski pants) who had just heard the other attendant tell us to put on the flashers, starts walking up with us and says “F*cking out-of-towners can’t read!”

We turn around and say “What?” to him. He simply says “No one reads signs”.

This particular Killington employee clearly has no idea who is paying his salary… It’s all the out-of-towners that he’s being extremely rude to!!!!

:END Rant

Needless to say we were very unimpressed at how this employee represented Killington…

C-Rex

Some people just can't handle the customer service industry. You should have told him if it weren't for you "out of towners" the only job his uneducated ass would have would be shoveling cow shit on some farm. Not saying all mountain employees are uneducated, but this guy in particular is clearly quite ignorant.

That, or you could have just pimp slapped him and told him to watch his tone. I find many situations are best resolved with violence.

EOS

Looking back, I wish I handled it differently.We just shook our heads and kept walking.

C-Rex

Looking back, I wish I handled it differently.We just shook our heads and kept walking.

Probably the mature and responsible thing to do. My methods often leave me wishing cooler heads had prevailed. I have to remind myself it's not my job to hand out lessons to all the asshats in the world.

dlague

Not to defend that guys rudeness, but I have seen some visitors that are complete a$$holes. We were at Black Mountain a couple of weekends ago and someone tried buying tickets on Saturday with a Sunday-Friday voucher. When they told him that it was not valid they guy went nuts and was telling them that they could use the business and That if they do not accept it that he would go else where. It was embarrassing. Felt bad for the ticket sales people. In any case, I had a valid comp ticket and was using it after this whole ordeal. The woman seemed nervous and showed the guy my voucher and initially put up a wall, but then quickly apologized. I said "I bet you see this kind of stuff all the time!". And he told me that I can not even imagine some of the stuff people try to get away with. I think, often ski area employees are like cops they treat everyone like they are the bad guy.

However, that employee should have kept his mouth shut! I am sure Killington is riddled with pompous jerks, mindless youth that do not give a damn, or others that think the world owes them something that are also found at other larger ski areas. Disclaimer: I am sure there are plenty of friendly mindful people there too!

skiNEwhere

I don't get it, you turned on the hazard lights with no issue, but then said "what" after words?

I'm not defending their behavior (whatever is was) but these guys don't make shit. It's the same with the fast food industry, and the reason I always check my order before I drive off. I can guarantee you that the employee doesn't think in terms of "the customer pays my salary"

Last edited:

EOS

I'm all for an employee giving it back to a rude customer!! A customer being a jerk is just as bad as this employee being one - IMHO

Did we not see a sign somewhere that said “Leave Hazard Lights on While Unloading” ? I’m sure we did…

But this was completely unprovoked.

EOS

We said "What?" to him after he made the rude comment...

As a way of asking if we just really heard what we thought we heard.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Was it an employee or a mountain ambassador?

I had rather unpleasant dealings with a MA back in the fall. I was looking for a single to partner up on a twofer coupon. He accosted me and ripped the coupon out of my hand thinking I was trying to sell counterfeit tickets. This despite the fact that every single other person buying day passes were using the coupons.

EOS

It was an employee. He was out in the parking lot at Snowshed..

freeski

I can see how some employees would tire of putting up with some guests (not in this situation). The worst I've seen was at the Widowmaker Bar. There was a very attractive 20 something bartender and just my self and a group of three guys. One of the guys pulled out a wad of cash and asked if she had ever seen that much money and what she would do for it? I can't remember what I said, but I did speak up. She came over and talked to me and said it happens all the time.

EOS

@freeski - Some people are just knuckle heads!

BenedictGomez

I'm not defending their behavior but these guys don't make shit. It's the same with the fast food industry, and the reason I always check my order before I drive off. I can guarantee you that the employee doesn't think in terms of "the customer pays my salary"

Which is a big portion of the reason they're still working a job where they "don't make shit".

freeski

He just laughed at me and put the cash away. It was a little scary with there being three of them, he occasionally looked over at me and smiled. I think he was embarrassed as he should have been.

bdfreetuna

Of all the things one could complain about Killington I've always had really good experiences with the Mountain Ambassadors there.

Parking crew at lots of ski areas can be pushy, other times they can be friendly... I'm guessing these guys aren't qualified for the "Ambassador" positions.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Ambassadors aren't on the payroll. They exchange working a few hours here and there to get a Season Pass.

skiur

Becoming friends with killington ambassadors is a good thing they get 50% off at the bar. There are a few assholes but most of them are pretty good people. Same is true for the employees.

Jcb890

I have a somewhat funny story about a parking lot attendant at Mount Snow. Of course the ticket windows open up before 8:00 am because that is when the lifts start. I just wanted to know what time since it was 7:30 and the windows were still closed. So, I asked the guy "what time do they normally open the windows up" expecting something like "usually around 7:45" or something of that sort.

His response - "I'm not sure. I think they may open up at 8:00 and then the lifts start. Maybe they open a little before, I don't know."

Seriously?! You work literally 50 ft. from the ticket window and you have no idea what time it opens? Morons gonna moron. :lol:

Smellytele

You should have told him if it weren't for you "out of towners" the only job his uneducated ass would have would be shoveling cow shit on some farm. Not saying all mountain employees are uneducated, but this guy in particular is clearly quite ignorant.

This sounds like what a Kmart skier/boarder would say.