• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Closing Dates for New England Mountains - 2015

machski

Would be interesting to know how much snowmaking added because many resorts add feet of man made.

???? Look at Mad River Glen, they basically had no season without snowmaking. I think we can say overall snowmaking at least doubled annual snowfall. At Killington, Superstar snowmaking easily added roughly 20 feet, probably more given all the meltdown.

steamboat1

Killington is back and will offer the longest (1997-98) and latest (2001-02) ski season the East has seen in almost 20 years. This is incredible considering that the ski resort only received 81″ of snow this season, only one-third their yearly snow average and the resort’s lowest snowfall on record by over a 4-feet margin to 1979-80

At the end of May – Eastern Closing Thread 2016 – Week 9
https://madpatski.wordpress.com/2016/05/26/at-the-end-of-may-eastern-closing-thread-2016-week-9/
Pat thanks again for keeping records.

freeskierinvt

A nearby weather station at ~2000' had a reading of 91° yesterday afternoon, and 94° today. Still reading 93 currently. Wouldn't be surprised if it was about the same temp at the base of Superstar. ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1464472483.648921.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

steamboat1

Big applause for even considering it.
It would've been crazy if they had opened. Judging by the webcams there's only snow on maybe a 100 yard stretch on the upper part of middle Superstar. No snow on the headwall & even though they said no snow on the lower 1/3 of Superstar I'd guesstimate it's more like the lower 2/3.

MadPatSki

Website
madpatski.wordpress.com
It would've been crazy if they had opened. Judging by the webcams there's only snow on maybe a 100 yard stretch on the upper part of middle Superstar. No snow on the headwall & even though they said no snow on the lower 1/3 of Superstar I'd guesstimate it's more like the lower 2/3.

Kudos indeed.

Incredible that it was even this close to happen on this pathetic season.

Now what? Who? Where? - Eastern Closing Thread 2016 - Week 10 and Final...for the East
https://madpatski.wordpress.com/201...g-thread-2016-week-10-and-final-for-the-east/

steamboat1

dlague

deadheadskier

Staff member
Personally, I like the reports from out west whether be people who reside in the east going on vacation or those who have relocated. If somebody moved to New Zealand I think it would be great if they remained active on AZ and shared their experiences on snow.

dlague

Personally, I like the reports from out west whether be people who reside in the east going on vacation or those who have relocated. If somebody moved to New Zealand I think it would be great if they remained active on AZ and shared their experiences on snow.

I agree! I liken these forums to a kind of family! On any given winter we reach out to strangers that we have traded words with here to make turns at a resort where two or more people are skiing/snowboarding. In many cases, friendships form as the Cannon group has. I have met a lot of AZoners and that does not get lost because one moves away!

Back on topic it was tough in NE but those of you that made the Killington stretch work - kudo's! If I was back east I would have done the same. Now i still ski here instead as many of you would if you were here as well.

xwhaler

Well said Dave---I know who to contact if I'm ever fortunate to make turns in CO.
AZ is a great community and many good ski friends have been formed because of this site.