• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Closing Dates for New England Mountains - 2015

xwhaler

If Okemo really is serious about going to 4/26 that Spring pass for $99 is a pretty nice value.
Can start using it this wknd and get 6 wknds on it.

dlague

This list seems surprisingly accurate based on a cross reference against confirmed closing dates that I've seen the mtns announce.

Some curious ones though:
Cannon 4/12 (not 4/19 as I expected)
Sugarloaf 4/28 (have to think they just guessed on this date---Loaf should go to Mid May)
Killington 5/24 (another guess?)
Black NH (3/23---I will verify this as I may go there this coming wknd or next...not sure why they would close on a Monday?)

http://www.onthesnow.com/projected_closing_all.html

Last year Cannon extended one more weekend to April 20th and we were there on the 19th. I have never found their closing dates to be that accurate on years were there was lots of snow left.

Cannonball

Last year Cannon extended one more weekend to April 20th and we were there on the 19th. I have never found their closing dates to be that accurate on years were there was lots of snow left.

They always plan a closing of early-mid April. Then they will extend one week if conditions are good. But that's all you get. I'd imagine they'll go to the 19th this year. (Tram closes 3/29).

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
There is an old saying in the ski resort biz that the skiers/riders leave before the snow does. If the snow is gone in the major markets like boston and NY/NJ in April and kids sports have begun and boating, biking and golf has started people will stop coming no matter how much snow the resorts in the north have. This year however might be the exception. :cool:

SIKSKIER

Here is the new date from todays snow report:
That being said, we've officially decided to extend our season through April 19th...weather permitting of course

Domeskier

From Tuxedo Ridge's FB yesterday:

"Thanks for a GREAT season! The Ridge is closed for skiing, Boarding and Tubing, but we have some great Spring and Summer events happening!"

AdironRider

It snowed in JHole today!

Of course it was the day after I got the 30 year old e30 BMW out of the barn and put summer rubber on.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
As of March 15, only Granite Gorge and Ward Hill had thrown in the towel. There is now a lengthy list on SnowCountry.com But in New England, the following were added on the 22nd:
Arrowhead
Blandford
Storrs Hill
Suicide Six

There will be many additions as of the 29th.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Merging this with the other thread on topic. One depressing thread is slightly better than two. ;)

jimmywilson69

The 3 Southcentral PA hills (Ski Round Top, Ski Liberty, & Ski Whitetail) closed up shop on March 22. It's a shame as all 3 had enough coverage to make it at least 1 more weekend and potentially into Easter. No one spring skis at these places, and they've probably been operating in the red since the beginning of March.

Last edited:

VTKilarney

Who actually skis at King Pine? For all of the discussion in this forum, I don't think I have ever seen someone mention that they have skied there. Is it for resort guests and locals, and that's about it?

Jcb890

As of March 15, only Granite Gorge and Ward Hill had thrown in the towel. There is now a lengthy list on SnowCountry.com But in New England, the following were added on the 22nd:
Arrowhead
Blandford
Storrs Hill
Suicide Six

There will be many additions as of the 29th.

I looked at the lift ticket prices for Ward Hill this season and was shocked how much money they are charging for a glorified sledding hill.

ThinkSnow

Who actually skis at King Pine? For all of the discussion in this forum, I don't think I have ever seen someone mention that they have skied there. Is it for resort guests and locals, and that's about it?

I've never skied there, but I do know that lots of MA families with young kids who are learning, ski there.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
I've skied at King Pine. They are a very viable small area. Based on observations their major customer base include:
- Beginners looking for a cheaper mellower place that isn't intimidating (Don't fool yourself: They have a few hairy, albeit short steeps, if there is a more advanced skier in the group. )
- A lot of vacation home owners with young children find it to be a safer place to let their kids hangout without 100% supervision. The kids, who often want to ski more than their parents, find the vertical more than acceptable
- It is an amenity for the Purity Resort, just as the Wilderness was (will be) for the Balsams and Suicide Six for the Woodstock Inn