• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Closing Dates for New England Mountains - 2015

deadheadskier

Staff member
FYI - avoid Stowe village and take Moscow or Mayo Farm roads around town. They're replacing little river bridge in center of town, so traffic is bad.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
AND respect the speed limit through there or you WILL get stopped.

It seems like more people are talking about speed traps this year in VT. Going to Killington, they used to be only in West Bridgewater. I'm noticing them both in Woodstock and Plymouth (by the entrance to Round Top).

Are speed traps more widespread in VT this year than in past seasons?

medfordmike

Berkshire East may close Sunday not because of operating costs but because the base area is getting pretty cooked. 60 and full sun yesterday took last 6 inches off the open fields around here. Heavy rain tonight will not help them either.

Was heading there Saturday with friends to take advantage of their $30 tickets but their website now says they will be closed on Saturday due to weather. No mention of Sunday.

MEtoVTSkier

It seems like more people are talking about speed traps this year in VT. Going to Killington, they used to be only in West Bridgewater. I'm noticing them both in Woodstock and Plymouth (by the entrance to Round Top).

Are speed traps more widespread in VT this year than in past seasons?

Actually those two spots have been patrolled heavily for a few years now...

deadheadskier

Staff member
More than a few years. I used to contend with the Plymouth cop on my way from our home in Ludlow to Killington as a high school student in the early 90s. Always been bad.

chuckstah

Ticket 20-25 years ago in W Bridgewater. Ticket 20 or so years ago in Plymouth. Riding with friends who got tickets a couple times in Woodstock 20 - 30 years ago. Nothing new. Drive slow through the whole are. My lesson was learned long ago.

catsup948

Was heading there Saturday with friends to take advantage of their $30 tickets but their website now says they will be closed on Saturday due to weather. No mention of Sunday.

I'll be up there tomorrow at the Easter egg hunt and I will likely bring my skis to hike a couple runs on lower comp. I'll investigate the situation. They must be concerned about the surface tomorrow with no freeze tonight. I still don't understand the move, with temps getting to mid 40s and sun in the afternoon. They will open Sunday hopefully, should be the last day of the season.

Quietman

Sunday River has announced their plans for April, don't remember White Head being open so late in the past...

Spring Operation Plan
Here's what the month of April looks like as we head towards the last day of the season, Ski Maynia:
- The full mountain will be open through this weekend for Parrothead Festival. After Sunday, April 5 the lower White Cap lifts will no longer operate.
- Aurora, Oz and Jordan will be open through next weekend for pond skimming and passholder weekend. After Sunday, April 12 the Aurora and Jordan lifts will no longer operate. This will also be the last weekend for ski and lift access from South Ridge.
- We will be open daily with terrain on Upper White Cap, Locke Mountain, Barker Mountain and Spruce Peak through Monday, April 20 (Patriot's Day.) After this date we will be open on weekends only and the Spruce Peak Triple will no longer operate.
- The Barker Mountain Express and White Heat Quad will be open for the weekend of April 25-26.
- The Barker Mountain Express will be open on Saturday, May 2 as the last day of the season and free skiing.

machski

Sunday River has announced their plans for April, don't remember White Head being open so late in the past...

Spring Operation Plan
Here's what the month of April looks like as we head towards the last day of the season, Ski Maynia:
- The full mountain will be open through this weekend for Parrothead Festival. After Sunday, April 5 the lower White Cap lifts will no longer operate.
- Aurora, Oz and Jordan will be open through next weekend for pond skimming and passholder weekend. After Sunday, April 12 the Aurora and Jordan lifts will no longer operate. This will also be the last weekend for ski and lift access from South Ridge.
- We will be open daily with terrain on Upper White Cap, Locke Mountain, Barker Mountain and Spruce Peak through Monday, April 20 (Patriot's Day.) After this date we will be open on weekends only and the Spruce Peak Triple will no longer operate.
- The Barker Mountain Express and White Heat Quad will be open for the weekend of April 25-26.
- The Barker Mountain Express will be open on Saturday, May 2 as the last day of the season and free skiing.

Go back to the 1990's, White Heat and Little White Cap were the late season offerings, makingit once to memorial day and often onto mid May. That plan changed in the 2000's to Barker. But yes, this is a change. It had been Barker/Spruce late but many had been asking for WH and Barker to be the late offering.

MadPatSki

Website
madpatski.wordpress.com
Okay, I've had a hard year for my blog. This is the first post since November, but I've been compile the Eastern Closing Thread online for years...so I wouldn't want to break a tradition. :)

84 ski areas are looking to spin this weekend. Most of them in Quebec. (less than half are open midweek also). Many ski areas are saying one more weekend after a successful Easter weekend in the East. Go for it!!!

Ski Mad World : Early Easter, late Spring : Eastern Closing Thread 2014-15 – Part 1
https://madpatski.wordpress.com/201...spring-eastern-closing-thread-2014-15-part-1/

Last edited:

dlague

Okay, I've had a hard year for my blog. This is the first post since November, but I've been compile the Eastern Closing Thread online for years...so I wouldn't want to break a tradition. :)

84 ski areas are looking to spin this weekend. Most of them in Quebec. (less than half are open midweek also). Many ski areas are saying one more weekend after a successful Easter weekend in the East. Go for it!!!

Ski Mad World : Early Easter, late Spring : Eastern Closing Thread 2014-15 – Part 1
https://madpatski.wordpress.com/201...spring-eastern-closing-thread-2014-15-part-1/

Nice report!

Quietman

Mount Snow is 100% daily operations through April 12th, then likely still daily operations through April 17th (if the weather looks good) - after the 17th the potential to be open for another weekend or two is there *IF* the business volume is there and the weather looks good (I won't add if the snow is still there, as with how much snow they have on the hill now and the impression that the weather is going to be at best "seasonable" if not still below average in general for a few more weeks at least, Mount Snow won't be saying "last chair" due to lack of snow this year)

Here is their latest update, I may be there this weekend.

We plan to be open daily, through April 12. There is a very good chance we will go beyond the 12th but we want to wait and see what Mother Nature serves up and if people keep skiing. After April 12th, we may close midweek and reopen for the weekend or if weather is good we could keep running daily – we will look at all options. And as soon as we know, we will let you know.

VTKilarney

MadPatSki, nice to see you back! I had posted something a couple of weeks ago in the trip reports forum asking about your whereabouts. I miss your trip reports!

spiderpig

Okemo had planned to be Friday-Sunday only after this weekend through April 26. Now staying daily through April 19 and still planning Friday-Sunday for that last weekend.

drjeff

Here is their latest update, I may be there this weekend.

We plan to be open daily, through April 12. There is a very good chance we will go beyond the 12th but we want to wait and see what Mother Nature serves up and if people keep skiing. After April 12th, we may close midweek and reopen for the weekend or if weather is good we could keep running daily – we will look at all options. And as soon as we know, we will let you know.

The final verdict is out - daily operations through this Monday the 13th, then shut down Tues-Thurs and reopen on Friday the 17th for 1 more weekend with a closing date of Sunday the 19th.

Mount Snow will be skiing on the Main Face, Northface and Carinthia during that time frame. This is a nice change for them, and one that passholders have asked for, as usually the last weekend it's just Carinthia

I'll be there for closing day, hopefully sporting a nice tan, as me and my family fly back from Florida on Saturday the 18th. I guessed a few months ago as I was booking a family trip to Florida during my kids spring break week that Mount Snow might do something like that, so were skiing this Saturday and Sunday, fly to Florida on Monday, back home to CT Saturday PM and then right on up to VT for closing day! I haven't missed a weekend yet at Mount Snow this season, and I'm not about to let that streak come to an end! ;)