• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Closing Dates for New England Mountains - 2015

gmcunni

The final verdict is out - daily operations through this Monday the 13th, then shut down Tues-Thurs and reopen on Friday the 17th for 1 more weekend with a closing date of Sunday the 19th.

Mount Snow will be skiing on the Main Face, Northface and Carinthia during that time frame. This is a nice change for them, and one that passholders have asked for, as usually the last weekend it's just Carinthia

sunbrook open this weekend?

Jcb890

I thought I read Sunbrook was closed as of last weekend. That could be wrong though. On Snow's website, the 2 lifts over on Sunbrook are both shown as closed, but is that because it is a Thursday?

benski

Sugarbush is closing the gatehouse lift for the season on Sunday. The Valley house trails may reopen for the weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

drjeff

I thought I read Sunbrook was closed as of last weekend. That could be wrong though. On Snow's website, the 2 lifts over on Sunbrook are both shown as closed, but is that because it is a Thursday?

It was closed last Saturday.

Nope - Sunbrook closed for the season on Sunday March 29th - there was some talk about re-opening it last weekend, but they didn't.

Mount Snow also just announced (I found out via an e-mail giving me a registration fee refund for my son and then saw it confirmed on their events page) that the Glade-iator bump comp held on Ripcord, which was rescheduled from last Sunday (Ripcord was frozen up SOLID with no chance of softening last Sunday) to this Saturday, has now been cancelled due to "snow and weather conditions"

Kind of confuses me as from what I could see from both Committed and River Run last weekend (the ropes were up last weekend every time I went by the frozen up Ripcord) the snow looked plentiful and the weather looks decent for Saturday??

Jcb890

Nope - Sunbrook closed for the season on Sunday March 29th - there was some talk about re-opening it last weekend, but they didn't.

Mount Snow also just announced (I found out via an e-mail giving me a registration fee refund for my son and then saw it confirmed on their events page) that the Glade-iator bump comp held on Ripcord, which was rescheduled from last Sunday (Ripcord was frozen up SOLID with no chance of softening last Sunday) to this Saturday, has now been cancelled due to "snow and weather conditions"

Kind of confuses me as from what I could see from both Committed and River Run last weekend (the ropes were up last weekend every time I went by the frozen up Ripcord) the snow looked plentiful and the weather looks decent for Saturday??

I wonder if they are worried about icy conditions with all of the rain today/tomorrow?

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!

Sunday would've been great. Nothing will be ice when it's 60 degrees, northern exposure or not.

Jcb890

Sunday would've been great. Nothing will be ice when it's 60 degrees, northern exposure or not.

Yeah really! With the weather forecasts for Sunday, I'm really regretting agreeing to reschedule Easter to this Sunday for the wife's family.

drjeff

I wonder if they are worried about icy conditions with all of the rain today/tomorrow?

I just got the low down on the reason for the cancellation of the Glade-iator - Basically, due to more freeze than thaw time the last few weeks, Ripcord, for safety reasons, has been closed. During that time, due to a combo of some natural snow blow in and some melting, the usually big bumps have become pretty small with a bunch of ugly, crusty snow in the troughs. Friday night, it's likely to get below freezing at Ripcord's elevation and even with temps projected to warm into the 50's at elevation on Saturday afternoon, Ripcord would likely still be in less than stellar condition most of, if not all Saturday, and hence the decision to cancel it.

No word on why they didn't move it to Sunday as what would amount to "plan C" after having to originally move it from last weekend

MadPatSki

Website
madpatski.wordpress.com
Full edit on the list of 84 ski areas initially listed as possibly open. A few confirmations and a few changed dates.

Two aren't opening this weekend : Mont Cascades QC and Holimont NY

Final day confirmations :

Le Relais QC : April 19

Extensions :

April 19 : Tremblant QC and Royal NY
April 26 : Okemo VT

Full edited list here : https://madpatski.wordpress.com/201...spring-eastern-closing-thread-2014-15-part-1/

Last edited:

gmcunni

crazy, i was there on 29th. so much snow , just run the little double up bear trap and let people ski the sunny side!!!!!

jaytrem

MRG is now selling tickets on Liftopia through the 18th. So it looks like they'll be open next week. My plan for the week is Whiteface, Bolton, Jay, MRG, Smuggs, Killington. If anybody would like to make some turns feel free to PM me.

WoodCore

MRG is now selling tickets on Liftopia through the 18th. So it looks like they'll be open next week. My plan for the week is Whiteface, Bolton, Jay, MRG, Smuggs, Killington. If anybody would like to make some turns feel free to PM me.

$25 mid-week lift tickets at MRG next week!

MadPatSki

Website
madpatski.wordpress.com

I'm looking for a marathon and use my mostly unused Foxcard.

I'm also updating the Ski Mad World list on my blog and preparing for next week's post.

Something important for your plan next week jaytrem...

Whiteface is going weekend only after Sunday April 12.
Bolton's last day is Sunday.

However you're midweek skiing plans at Jay, MRG, Smuggs, Killington are fine.

I'm looking to ski WF, Gore, Jay, Smuggs, Bolton, MRG, Cannon which are still left on my card. I've already lost Suicide Six, Middlebury and Burke. Man, the fact that the whole family has been sick in the last two weeks, including Easter weekend totally changed our skiing plans. :(

jaytrem

Something important for your plan next week jaytrem...

Whiteface is going weekend only after Sunday April 12.
Bolton's last day is Sunday.

However you're midweek skiing plans at Jay, MRG, Smuggs, Killington are fine.

Thanks, I have WF the Bolton locked in for Sat/Sun. Doing the early drive tomorrow from NJ to WF. Killington is locked in for Thurs. The 3 in the middle will be based on weather. I was hoping for Gore on Thur so that I could save my Killington ticket, but no luck. But I'm just happy MRG decided to stay open for the week. Most excited about Bolton since I haven't been there in about 25 years.

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

Big Boulder in PA is now planning to reopen next Saturday 4/18.
(putting all those larger mountains further north to shame)