• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Closing Dates for New England Mountains - 2015

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
I looked at the lift ticket prices for Ward Hill this season and was shocked how much money they are charging for a glorified sledding hill.
Most skiers ski between 10 and 20 days a winter. Before I retired, I had a small area in my neighborhood (Blue Hills). When I took 10 or so runs just in advance of a weekend, I saved a couple of "warm up" runs when the weekend arrived. The turns ultimately enhanced my weekend experience.

Now as for the prices: Based on what I've heard over the years, Ward's major market is their after-school programs. They are already plenty crowded. As a result, they can charge what the traffic will bear.

These areas are what provide the next generation of skiers and should be applauded: not scorned.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I learned how to ski at Ward with one of those after school programs. Let me tell you, that "glorified sledding hill" looks like Mt. Washington to a seven year old skiing for the first time.

If it wasn't for Ward Hill, I'd probably be living somewhere down south and swinging a tennis racket all winter.

Jcb890

I learned at Ward Hill also. I'm still surprised at how much they charge and get for lift tickets. It is great for what it is, just overpriced, IMO.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Towel has been thrown at Thunder Ridge. They were going to try and go for this weekend. I'm very proud of the new management in regards to snowmaking. Fool's Delight got some love for the fist time in years, and the mountain made it till the 22nd instead of the historic last day of St. Patty's day.

Jcb890

Through my email conversations about Ski Club Appreciation Days, I have gotten some additional info on Loon, Stratton, Sugarloaf and Okemo:

Loon - South Peak will be shut down Mon-Thursday next week, but open for Easter Weekend. It will close for the season at the end of the day on Sunday, April 5th. North Peak and Loon Peak don’t have set closing dates at this time.

Sugarloaf - After April 19 we make the decision based on weather and terrain status. We try to stay open until May 1 for spring skiing, though lifts will be limited to the main mountain.

Okemo - We’re staying open 7 days a week through April 12. If the snow and weather hold we’ll re-open for April 17, 18, and 19, probably just the Clocktower side of the mountain, not Jackson Gore and Solitude. Then if there’s still decent snow and skier interest, we may open again April 24-26, probably with just the A Quad and Sunburst Six lifts turning.

Stratton - Due to close Sunday April 12th at this point, but stay tuned to the website to see if there are changes to that, all depends on the weather conditions and meltdown.

Last edited:

xwhaler

Crotched saying they will close this week and re open Saturday 4/5 weather permitting.

Savemeasammy

Stratton - Due to close Sunday April 12th at this point, but stay tuned to the website to see if there are changes to that, all depends on the weather conditions and meltdown.

Today (3/29) was the last day for the sun bowl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xwhaler

Cranmore opening up next wknd after closing midweek. $39 tickets

Last edited:

Handbanana

Today was the last day the toll house double ran at Stowe. Not that it's some big loss of terrain or anything.

Handbanana

The dates are last year's on Stowe's site, but they seem to be following the same schedule with today's toll house closure. So assuming same schedule and fixing the dates it would look like this.

Late Season Lift Schedule

Sunday, April 5
Last day of operations for:
Gondola
Sunny Spruce Quad
Sensation Quad
Easy Street Double
Tyro and Midway Terrain Parks close

Sunday, April 12
All remaining Spruce lifts: Alpine Double, Adventure Triple, Carpet Surface Lift
Over Easy Gondola

Please note: No beginner terrain open after April 12
Monday, April 13 - Sunday, April 19
FourRunner Quad & Mountain Triple open for top-to-bottom skiing & riding.
Fifth Avenue, Standard and North Slope Terrain Parks open through April 19

Season close at 4pm, April 19

Quietman

Crotched saying they will close this week and re open Saturday 4/5 weather permitting.

There was a nice crowd at Crotched today, and everything is very well covered. The woods didn't soften up as much as I'd hoped, but still skied fairly well. Wish they had the business levels to stay open later than next Sat, but I understand what they're up against. Have fun at Canon tomorrow Joshua!

drjeff

Unless the weather looks AWFUL, you can pencil Mount Snow in for at least Sunday, April 19th (possibly with daily operations right up through then) and then possibly weekend only operation after that

Jcb890

For those who frequent Mount Snow - the Sundance Lodge and parking lot is closed. We were pretty disappointed with this on Sunday. We had to park much farther away and people at Sundance just seemed to be a nicer lot from past experiences.

Jcb890

The dates are last year's on Stowe's site, but they seem to be following the same schedule with today's toll house closure. So assuming same schedule and fixing the dates it would look like this.

Late Season Lift Schedule

Sunday, April 5
Gondola
Sunny Spruce Quad
Sensation Quad
Easy Street Double
Tyro and Midway Terrain Parks close

Sunday, April 12
All remaining Spruce lifts: Alpine Double, Adventure Triple, Carpet Surface Lift
Over Easy Gondola

Please note: No beginner terrain open after April 12
Monday, April 13 - Sunday, April 19
FourRunner Quad & Mountain Triple open for top-to-bottom skiing & riding.
Fifth Avenue, Standard and North Slope Terrain Parks open through April 19

Season close at 4pm, April 19

For those who have been to Stowe before (or frequent Stowe) - will it be worth it to make the trek up there on April 11th or 12th for their Ski Club Appreciation Day? Ticket prices are reasonable, but if all of the terrain is either going to be closed or in poor conditions, I wonder if it is worth the trip and ticket prices.

Thanks in advance!

deadheadskier

Staff member
weather dependent, yes.

IMO - the terrain quality and variety off the Forerunner Quad is better than most New England ski areas offer in their entirety.

Jcb890

weather dependent, yes.

IMO - the terrain quality and variety off the Forerunner Quad is better than most New England ski areas offer in their entirety.

Great, thank you. How about for beginners? I saw no beginner terrain after April 12. My wife is still a beginner.

deadheadskier

Staff member
limited offerings. Toll Road is a 4 mile beginner trail off the Forerunner and it's great, but that's it for the Mansfield side.