• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Nobody Cares About Mogul Skiing

Highway Star

Awww......:(

http://news.nationalpost.com/2015/02/04/olympic-medalists-dufour-lapointe-sisters-struggle-to-fund-freestyle-skiing-career-despite-all-their-success/

Justine, the youngest sister, at 20, won gold in moguls at Sochi. Chloé, the middle sister, won silver. Maxime, the eldest, was 12th.

“I think everybody believes that once you go to the Olympics, you become a millionaire, and it’s the dream story,” Maxime said. “Nobody flew us in private jets all over — it’s the nature of amateur sport, and I think every athlete, in their career, wants to turn that around so that their sport gets more attention.”

“It’s hard finding support in any level, and not just in sports,” Justine said. “It’s rough out there, and it’s normal. I think we just have to fight.”

The heartbreaking tale of 3 attractive white women who can't get the attention and payday they deserve for being the best at their sport. What is the world coming to?

468077509.jpg

Last edited:

C-Rex

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I agree with you. Now they'll have to either get a real job or marry someone in a sport people care about.

Edd

Dang, they are hawt. If they want to be instructors my bump skiing always needs improvement.

DaffyJeffy

I'm a die-hard mogul skier. I live for skiing bumps, but competitive mogul skiing has jumped the shark. It's styleless, soulless, and robotic. Fake seeded bumps on contrived jumps with aerial gymnastics that nobody can relate too. It certainly is not freestyle.

Then again, I'd say the same thing about park and pipe - it's on the verge of jumping the shark too. When the average young skier can no longer relate, interest drifts elsewhere.

I hate sexism in the ski biz but agree with the above comments: If these young female athletes don't do something to "market" themselves, they are irrelevant to popular culture. And in our culture, Julia Mancuso in her underpants sells (no offense to Julia - I'm a big fan of her skiing).

SkiFanE

I'm a die-hard mogul skier. I live for skiing bumps, but competitive mogul skiing has jumped the shark. It's styleless, soulless, and robotic. Fake seeded bumps on contrived jumps with aerial gymnastics that nobody can relate too. It certainly is not freestyle.

Then again, I'd say the same thing about park and pipe - it's on the verge of jumping the shark too. When the average young skier can no longer relate, interest drifts elsewhere.

I hate sexism in the ski biz but agree with the above comments: If these young female athletes don't do something to "market" themselves, they are irrelevant to popular culture. And in our culture, Julia Mancuso in her underpants sells (no offense to Julia - I'm a big fan of her skiing).

Have to agree....yawn...after a couple competitors it all looks the same. It's fun to watch when an American is on verge of winning, but couldn't really care otherwise.

But...there are so many amateur sports, and how can the sponsors support them all? Sure...Michael Phelps is doing well, but the dozens of next tier swimmers probably never see a dime from sponsorship. How are the curlers doing? Biathletes? Rowers? Fencers? Pole-jumpers? If you are getting to that level of your sport, you should never count on it being your source of income/livelihood. This was a recent topic of articles about this for Hannah Kearney. What is her next phase of life? College? Career? Oh my...she's behind her peers by 10 years in this regard. Sucks for sure...but that's the life of amateur athletes...only so many sponsorship dollars to go around.

mriceyman

They should make a sex tape. That will launch them into being rich and famous. Obviously kidding but its almost the truth.. Sad

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Cannonball

This is the choice you make when you decide to get involved in a fringe, mostly amateur sport. Why would you expect to get rich and have a long career doing something that virtually nobody cares about? That should be pretty obvious if you are involved in the sport. I have a friend who was an olympic mogul skier. In terms of turning it into a career he's achieved probably the best case scenario by continuing to work as coach (in fact I think he coached these girls). He sure as heck isn't getting rich and famous but as least he's still in the sport. Otherwise it's time to move on to a real career.

Domeskier

Who's that internet spammer who made a nice career for himself as an Olympic mogul skier? They should get some tips from him.

Puck it

This is the choice you make when you decide to get involved in a fringe, mostly amateur sport. Why would you expect to get rich and have a long career doing something that virtually nobody cares about? That should be pretty obvious if you are involved in the sport.
Exactly the reason I got out of midget tossing and took up physics.

BenedictGomez

Shocking though it might be, I actually read the article.

I didnt come away from it with a main takeaway that the sisters and family are whining about not being rich. Perhaps it's in the eye-of-the-beholder, but my main takeaway is that it's essentially a "please fund me" piece targeting a Canadian audience.

Glenn

It's styleless, soulless, and robotic. Fake seeded bumps on contrived jumps with aerial gymnastics that nobody can relate too. It certainly is not freestyle.

This

Well stated.

DaffyJeffy

In my opinion, any individualistic athletic pursuit with the word "freestyle" attached to it is less about athletics and more about creativity and individual expression. Think of surfing, skateboarding, and hotdog skiers back in the day. All just people having a good time showing off what they could do with their buddies. To turn these pursuits, which are largely counter-cultural in origin, into organized, competitive events makes little sense. To make them into "career opportunities" makes even less sense.

I've been skiing bumps since the mid 80's and I have the same love for it today that I did back in high school. I read an interview with Jeremy Bloom where he said he didn't even like skiing moguls, it was the competition he loved. To me that statement was like being slapped in the face.

So screw you Jermey Bloom and screw you Dale Begg Smith.

JimG.

Staff member
Interesting thread.

I like the fringe Olympic sports like bumps. Same for bobsled, luge, skeleton, or ski jumping.

I admit it's the novelty because I rarely get to watch that makes it attractive which probably supports the OP's opinion.

I like skiing bumps, never competed.