• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Big Sky, 3/5-3/7

powbmps

Date Skied: 3/4/15-3/7/15

Conditions: Relatively firm.

Trip Report: It's been awhile since I've posted anything on here, but I finally managed to ski somewhere other than Sunapee ;-).

Had an opportunity to head out to Big Sky for a quick few days and participate in one of Dan Egan's Steeps Clinics. First time ever in Montana. Unfortunately the most heard phrase was "least amount of snow in ten plus years". Oh well, the 1" they got Tuesday night seemed to constantly swirl around and get deposited on different aspects of the mountain. Luckily we were with a group of people who knew where to look for it. Mountain guides/patrolers/instructors, whatever you want to call them, they are top notch. Dan is a super positive guy and gives out plenty of good advice as well. Always nice to get out and push yourself with some like-minded individuals.

On a separate note, Elan sponsors the clinics and provides skis. Spent the first day on a pair of Spectrum 95 Alu's in a 180. Second day I switched to the Amphibio 88 XTI in a 178. Both were great skis for the conditions. Turn radii are almost the exact same but the 88 was quicker edge to edge, which my worn out legs appreciated. Never thought I would say it, but now I know what will be replacing my old Scott Punishers. Or at least I've narrowed it down to one of the two.

East Coast Jongs unite!

One of our fearless guides in red. The guy rips.

Oooooooooh.

Aaaaaaaaaah.

Giggity giggity.

Nom nom nom.

I was bummed there weren't any zipper lines. All I got was footage of this. Sorry, it's long and laborious even with the multiple rest stops to gasp for air edited out.

Humbling terrain for sure. The patroller we were with said that in his 300+ times in the Big, he would rate the conditions at maybe a 2 or 3 out of 10 . That made me feel a little better :p.

Savemeasammy

Does vimeo hate my apple devices?! Can't view the vid...

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone mobile app

powbmps

Go-Pro makes it look pretty wimpy, but the top was frightening for sure. A fall before the dogleg would not have ended well. Side-slipping seemed like a good plan :).

Farleyman

I skied there 3/1-3/4, had a blast... It was a little firm but not as bad as the locals made it out to be. Heard a funny quote out there "firm is fun, shut the f*** up and ski!" I have a 15min video of our trip in gonna post soon in here. Mostly glade skiing and bowls. Its amazing how wimpy the go pro makes the slopes look tho.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Talisman

This past weekend at Big Sky, I thought I saw a group skiing in the bowl and wondered if it was one of Egan's. While riding up the triple I watched the group ski Arch Rock Gully on the south wall. One person got some decent air launching off of the gully. Sorry you didn't have better conditions, but there was still some great lines to ski. Come back again to Big Sky and we'll quench our thirsts with a can or two of Scape Goat.

mikestaple

I've been out there twice and I've never seen the A-Z chutes look so bare this far into winter. Treat-Yo-Self and go out again during a better winter. If you like the STEEPS Big Sky definitely has it. Did you get into the Challenger Lift area at all - that is outstanding terrain. Also, Moonlight has a bunch of jaw dropping glades. (Might have been thin if the snow was lite.) A truly magical place (were the mountain sheep out behind the gas station when you pulled into the resort road - from 191? Always cracks me up that they set up their winter home in the cliffs right next to the gas station.)

Farleyman

It may not work here because the music added, someone reported it as a copyright claim (thanks dink!) but if you search "big sky trip 2015 - Farley brothers" on YouTube it should come up

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone