• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Bike Log 2015

mlctvt

I finally got out on the road bike today. Usually I get at least a day or two in January or February but not this year.

Took the cross bike with fenders and a good thing too, there were so many mini ponds and even moving water in some places due to all the snow melt and last night’s rain.

My winter spinning bike workouts have really helped keep me in shape his winter. My wife talked me into doing her 3-4 times per week 55minute killer workouts to DVD at 80-85% of max heart rate average. It worked too- This was the easiest initial ride I’ve had in years; exactly 1mph faster thanlast year’s first ride.
My normal 24 mile semi-hilly lunch time route 16.3mphaverage. Not bad for me for my initial ride on a 28 lb bike.
The fresh air felt great, so much better than any indoor workout.

bvibert

Staff member
Nice! I was actually contemplating taking my MTB out for a road ride the other day.

BackLoafRiver

Nicely done! We are still a ways off from riding here. Too much crap all over he road. Hopefully under a month. I'm starting to get the itch

bvibert

Staff member
Took my MTB out on the road for a quick ride the other day. Well.. it wasn't going to be a quick ride, but a spoke broke before I even left the driveway, so I had to fix it before heading out. I had a family party to get to, so I only ended up with 3.3 miles. It seemed like most of it was uphill though! Despite being very out of shape it felt great to get out on the bike!

I hear that some of the local trails are finally ready to ride. I'm going to go check them out after work today. Stoked to get back out on dirt!

bvibert

Staff member
Got some woods miles in finally, last night and tonight. 6.7 yesterday and 10.4 today. Considering the shape I'm in, back-to-back rides might not have been the best idea.

drjeff

Got 102.57 miles in on the road last week while I was in Florida visiting my parents. The LBS had a decent Trek Madone that I rented that rode quite nicely. Gotta love how flat the SW Gulf Coast of Florida is! My "biggest" climbing ride was a 30 miler where I climbed a grand total of 142 feet! And the vast majority of that climbing came in about a 1/2 mile segment where I had to "climb" up a bridge that has a clearance of 40 feet at mean low water on my out and back loop that day ;) :rolleyes:

mlctvt

Had to laugh when I saw Dr Jeff's post. We were in Florida (panhandle near Destin) a month ago visiting my brother and it was the flattest riding I've ever done. Yes the only hill in the area is a highway overpass. If I lived there I think I'd only ride a fixie.

Had a great weekend of cycling with my wife today and yesterday
Did 2 of our hilly training rides 55 miles on Saturday with grades up to 13% and 43 miles today with up to 16 percent. Total of just over 9000 feet vertical for both days.

The spinning bike workouts did wonders for keeping us in shape this year. I've never felt this good this early in the season.

Averaging about 120 miles/week the last few weeks. Should be up to 150-200 soon.

BackLoafRiver

Met up with a buddy today to do a little riding on some dirt. He just got a Spesh Epic from a friend (his first dual squish) and wanted to take it out.

Man, chilly out there. We rode Kenoza Park in Haverhill, Ma. Cute place. It had a bunch of unadvertised single track as well as some casual stuff around the pond. We linked together 8.5 miles. He was pretty toast so we called it a day. It felt so good to be on dirt again!

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1429839463.945724.jpg
There was a castle at the top of one of the climbs
ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1429839483.212899.jpgImageUploadedByAlpineZone1429839497.096995.jpg

BackLoafRiver

10 miles in Yarmouth today on the west side trail. What a great system. The rumor is that trail builders have continued another few miles toward Cousins Island but time got the best of us. I'll be heading back soon.

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1430620354.161875.jpg

bvibert

Staff member
I've been out a few times in the last week or so. Yesterday was my first solo ride of the season. While I really like the social aspect of mountain biking, it is nice to get out and do your own thing from time to time. I got in just over 11 miles, and felt great. I've been having a lot of lower back issues on my rides this year, so I took the opportunity to stretch it several times during my ride. Overall it felt much better than it has, hopefully I can keep it in good shape going forward.

skiMEbike

10 miles in Yarmouth today on the west side trail. What a great system. The rumor is that trail builders have continued another few miles toward Cousins Island but time got the best of us. I'll be heading back soon.

West Side is in great shape !! The trail has been extended as far to the east on cousins island as they can go (without going onto Wyman Station land). Not sure how far you've ridden on Cousins Island previously, but they've added about .5 miles from the previous end (on Talbot Road) to the new extended east end on Wharf Street.

BackLoafRiver

West Side is in great shape !! The trail has been extended as far to the east on cousins island as they can go (without going onto Wyman Station land). Not sure how far you've ridden on Cousins Island previously, but they've added about .5 miles from the previous end (on Talbot Road) to the new extended east end on Wharf Street.

The last time I rode it, I just kind of went until the trail work stopped. It was clear they had flagged a section for building. I REALLY dig the yellow and orange stuff. It was fun to hit most of it both ways although one section rides quite well on your way from the lot...not so much on the way back to it.

BackLoafRiver

Man, conditions are stellar right now. Did a solo ride at Bradbury yesterday. The greens are this vibrant emerald green. This pic won't do it justice but you will get the idea. ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1432551060.172549.jpg

bvibert

Staff member
The riding conditions have been pretty awesome down here lately too! I haven't been riding as much as I'd like (what else is new?), but I'm up to 95 miles for the year.

BackLoafRiver

Nobody gives a $h!t about roadies and their "reports" but I thought I would share this story.

Last night on our group ride, I signed up for the 18.5 + mph group. The "long ride" they call it. It is always up tempo and we average in the low 20's. Not bad for a casual group.

I should have known I was in trouble when I started seeing older dudes show up with pretty intense setups. It turns out, one of them is a local who is not only a record-holding 63 year old marathoner, but is also a pro racer. (riding for a local team sponsored by Garmin) He brought a few buddies along as well.

Short story, I've never pushed so hard in my limited riding. 20 miles in I was dropped on a climb. I am pretty sure they were taking it easy on us. It was super impressive and motivating. They waited for us down the road then we pace-lined it for about 10 miles. A trio of us were dropped again on another hill. 36 miles with an average of 22. Truly inspiring to see someone in his 60's pull the group that far and keep the pace as long as he did. Lean, lean, LEAN.

bvibert

Staff member
Nobody gives a $h!t about roadies and their "reports" but I thought I would share this story.

Last night on our group ride, I signed up for the 18.5 + mph group. The "long ride" they call it. It is always up tempo and we average in the low 20's. Not bad for a casual group.

I should have known I was in trouble when I started seeing older dudes show up with pretty intense setups. It turns out, one of them is a local who is not only a record-holding 63 year old marathoner, but is also a pro racer. (riding for a local team sponsored by Garmin) He brought a few buddies along as well.

Short story, I've never pushed so hard in my limited riding. 20 miles in I was dropped on a climb. I am pretty sure they were taking it easy on us. It was super impressive and motivating. They waited for us down the road then we pace-lined it for about 10 miles. A trio of us were dropped again on another hill. 36 miles with an average of 22. Truly inspiring to see someone in his 60's pull the group that far and keep the pace as long as he did. Lean, lean, LEAN.

Roadie riding is still riding! Kicking the ass of young dudes at 63 is impressive, no matter what the sport is!

I don't road ride, but 22mph average sounds really fast to me. I think I need to step up my game before you come down this way again!

bvibert

Staff member
Up to 159.1 MTB miles this year, actually a tad more, my phone died a mile or two from the finish of one of my rides a few weeks ago.

Had a great 15.6 mile ride as a birthday present to myself yesterday.