• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Bike Log 2015

BackLoafRiver

Shortest ride of the season today with the most elevation gain. (7 miles with something like 1300' of climbing)

Falmouth continues to make me feel bad about my biking.

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1434325630.190619.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

BackLoafRiver

Nothing worse than having your bike in the shop during an outstanding stretch of weather.

Logged some nice miles on the road bike however. I haven't seen dirt in far too long.

bvibert

Staff member
The weekend was pretty crappy weather down here. But, I got in 3 good rides during the week, which is unusual for me.

Up to ~215 MTB miles for the year so far.

BackLoafRiver

Pretty stellar weekend of biking. Brought a friend to KT and rode 18 miles (including two laps down Kitchel then up the road)

Mileage was a big low but my poor buddy couldn't hang. He was wasted by the time we finished sidewinder :)

Bit of a bummer, Old Webs was closed due to a wedding.

I'm not sure why, I know it's touristy, but I love the sugar house

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1436144597.212316.jpg

Last edited:

BackLoafRiver

Finally got around to riding at sugarloaf.

Headed up Sunday morning for a 11 tire on dirt time. I figured I had about 3 hours to poke around.

Their summer operation is pretty rad; they turn the outdoor center into a bike shop.

There's a mini- pump track, a bunch of small kid-friendly skinnies and obstacles, and a frisbee golf practice area (if you're in to that)

I went in the shop and met the owner and a trail builder. We talked for a few about the philosophy and what an optimal ride would be. They mapped out a pretty thorough section from the outdoor center that covered a lot of the trail on that side of 27, then some stuff over off the Narrow Gauge trail.

The trail building is ABSOLUTELY top notch. Each trail is unique and has been thought out well. Rock armoring is prevalent on some of their marquee trails. This is on Jabba the Hut
ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1436961033.371841.jpg

There is still a lot of work going on. The bummer is that some of their best stuff hasn't been worked into a "loop" yet but riding it up then back down is more than rewarding.

It's really a system of different personalities. The stuff on the Outdoor Center side is a bit "techier" while the opposite side has quite a bit of flow.

Once on the 27 side, I followed he Gauge trail south and played off the single track that is woven in. So so so much fun. Short shots that dip off the main rail trail and hug the river. Real gorgeous. I had every intent on shooting a few pics but I was having too much fun to stop.

I knew I wanted to end the ride with Oak Knoll, one of their newest trails. The guys at the shop said to climb it then turn around and ride it back down. "You probably don't want to deal with Newton's Revenge", they advised.

Sadly, I ended up on it by accident. It's a 2-mile, straight up affair. After 15 miles my legs weren't ready for the last bit. The views, however, are totally worth it. It's part of the Maine Huts and Trails system and will deposit you at the Stratton Brook hut (where you can connect up to Oak Knoll).

View from mid climb.

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1436961412.630499.jpg

View from the vista at the Stratton brook hut
ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1436961455.504779.jpg

Oak knoll is...well...sex. The most fun you can have with your clothes on. Think "Kitchel" at KT with some tech thrown in. The flow is ridiculously good. Beautiful berms, nice rock gardens...just...so much fun. If it wasn't a 2 mike climb back up, I would have done it again

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1436961559.099476.jpg

All in all, I'd go back In a heartbeat. There was much more to ride hut after 22 miles, I was pretty done for the day.

skiMEbike

The Sugarloaf area is slowly (or quickly rather) on its way to becoming a Kingdom like Mountain Biking destination spot in New England. They definitely have the land, resources, and momentum to make it happen. Pairing the trail network with the Maine Huts & Trails systems makes for a one of a kind adventure, which I am not sure can be offered anywhere else. The amount of trail work, financial resources, volunteers, and community support is insane right now. They are spitting our new trails constantly. Getting a few days of riding up there has been on "my list" for sometime, and this report has created some urgency for sure. To date, I've only been able to explore the Hut Trails, gauge trail, and some of the trails on the Bigelow side of 27....I have been to all the huts (except for the new Stratton Hut, which I hear is awesome like the rest of them). I really need to get there and spend a few days there & to scout out some of the techy stuff and finally ride some of the trails on the Sugarloaf side of 27.

Great Pics & Report...Thanks for moving this ride up the "to do list"!!

BackLoafRiver

Spending the week in Old Town my hope was to ride 15 - 20 miles a day all week throughout their trails. Sadly, it might end up being a wash as it's supposed to piss rain for a few days. (Since there is little elevation, the trails don't dry well)

Today's ride however was stellar. 15 miles, dry as can be, and a nice loop. One of the best trails includes the "interstate" trail which, you guessed it, runs parallel to 95. Tons of fun and spits you out into a rock garden that can eat you alive.

A few shots from my ridding buddy of yours truly. The first pic gives you a sense of the trail

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1438656571.295747.jpgImageUploadedByAlpineZone1438656585.359409.jpg

BackLoafRiver

Rode Stratham Hill Park in NH for the first time on Saturday. Nice little place, not a ton of single track but what they have is really well designed and has a super mix of flow and feature. Nothing gnar but, I couldn't ride it if it was :). Got 10 solid miles in but probably missed a few things. When I visit the family in kittery I'll definitely go back.

Today I rode 12 in Yarmouth. The trail builders added another .5 or so at the end of the trail. It was hard to find but well worth it.

mlctvt

Finally got our first century in on Saturday, Steeplechase organized ride in Windham CT 103.7 miles.
Rather slow average for us at 16.7mph due to us riding the Tandem plus the hills, 5600 ft Vertical. Still a bit faster tan the same ride last year. It was beautiful ride through many small towns of Northeast CT Woodstock , Ashford, etc

Season total over 2500 miles now.

We'll be riding a 402 mile loaded tour of VT and NY in a couple of weeks. Hopefully I'll have some photos.

Last edited:

bvibert

Staff member
Finally got our first century in on Saturday, Steeplechase organized ride in Windham CT 103.7 miles.
Rather slow average for us at 16.7mph due to us riding the Tandem plus the hills, 5600 ft Vertical. Still a bit faster tan the same ride last year. It was beautiful ride through many small towns of Northeast CT Woodstock , Ashford, etc

Season total over 2500 miles now.

We'll be riding a 402 mile loaded tour of VT and NY in a couple of weeks. Hopefully I'll have some photos.

I'm used to more like ~6mph average MTB rides, so 16.7 sounds pretty impressive to me, especially over 100+ miles.

BackLoafRiver

Foolishly didn't pack my bike this morning but a late cancellation allowed me to run home and get it.

Headed to Bradbury where I forgot people were showing up for the 12 hour race that starts tomorrow morning. Busiest I've seen it there in a while.

Got a nice ride in....13 solid miles including a sweet loop on the mountain side. I love riding this time of year.

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1442623355.187434.jpg

Puck it

It was nice out today and found some new trails just down the road from my house. Logged about 15 miles until I snap my chain for some reason.

bvibert

Staff member
Great weather down here today too. Got out this afternoon for a 15 miler myself. Between the good weather and getting used to the new bike it was a top day of the year for me.

Savemeasammy

It was nice out today and found some new trails just down the road from my house. Logged about 15 miles until I snap my chain for some reason.

How many walking miles did you get in? ;)

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

Puck it

How many walking miles did you get in? ;)

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app
About 2 to road where my son picked me up. Another 15 miles today after a power link added to chain. Gratuitous shot from the trail

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 26

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
85 and Overdrive !
Went for a ride with my Father in law today 85 yrs young . He has a I Zip electric bike . We did 7 miles on a canal path , Amazing guy ! Used the electric motor about 15 seconds for a small incline. I'm amazed he just keeps going and seldom rested.
He's had a tough 4 months , Lost his sister. While his niece was putting off taking care of her abdominal pain to care for her dying mother, she was diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic ....Now in hospice.
I thought he might need a lift to get out chatting with him after the ride he says "Oh I was on my bike on Wednesday ":eek:
I can only hope to be in the shape he's in .