• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

chairlift geekery - Baldy Express at Snowbird

benski

The village double has to be replaced in order to finish the rice/gadd brook development which is be many years away.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Ok, here's a good one...Deer Valley's Flagstaff Summit. Four HSQs, four terminals = a lot going on. ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1428876921.796422.jpg

So much going on that my iPhone camera got confused! I will see if I have a better pic from my other cam.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

thetrailboss

Staff member
Great pic from Alta showing the Supreme Bullwheel getting refurbished:

11751430_875223652527481_7399562028406468131_n.jpg

thetrailboss

Staff member
Anybody have an idea why the Baldy lift makes the turn?

If I had to guess it is because a straight line alignment would not work because (1) the lift sits in a bowl and has to run roughly perpendicular to the fall line of the bowl, (2) they wanted the summit terminal to sit in a location just slightly left of the base, and (3) the summit terminal itself sits at the top of a different bowl and needed to be roughly perpendicular to the fall line of that bowl. Or maybe they wanted to confuse us all. I will see if I can find a good picture or map to show what I mean.

skiNEwhere

Since this is a lift geekery thread, did anyone ever ride the ski mobile at Cranmore before it was removed? Wish I could've gotten the chance as a kid!

cran1.jpg

deadheadskier

Staff member
Many times both while skiing and during summer. Miss it. I know it was horribly inefficient, but for kids it was like riding a rollercoaster; albeit a very slow one.