• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

chairlift geekery - Baldy Express at Snowbird

deadheadskier

Staff member
So, does the lift basically do like a figure 8?

Very bizarre. What is preventing that lift from running in a straight line instead of having to dog leg like that?

xlr8r

So, does the lift basically do like a figure 8?

Very bizarre. What is preventing that lift from running in a straight line instead of having to dog leg like that?

Here is a quick diagram to show how snowflake is arranged. 4 bull wheels, one curved sheave.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Snowflake.png
    Snowflake.png
    11.7 KB · Views: 269

deadheadskier

Staff member
That makes sense, but why the curve? Big amount of ledge in the way? I haven't skied Breckenridge in almost 20 years. I don't remember that lift

xlr8r

Because I think there is a lot of real estate in the way like this.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Snowflake.png
    Snowflake.png
    10.6 KB · Views: 259

skiNEwhere

This is pure speculation but I think breck management wanted the lift to start and finish in its current location but the land that was needed for it to travel in a straight line was privately owned and the owner refused to grant an easement, or it would've passed directly over people's houses.

There's also a midway load right before the turn, it may be routed that way to act as a transfer lift from peak 9 to 8

Gotta be honest here, the first time I saw that lift I went out of my way to ride it even though it's slow and serves boring terrain

skiNEwhere

That makes sense, but why the curve? Big amount of ledge in the way? I haven't skied Breckenridge in almost 20 years. I don't remember that lift

I believe it was installed in the late 90's, sounds like you just missed it

SkiingInABlueDream

Regarding the Breckenridge Snowflake chair, I still don't understand why the side loop on the down direction (where the 2 extra bull wheels are) is necessary. The up direction makes the bend with a curved sheave. Why couldn't the down direction do the same?

skiNEwhere

Regarding the Breckenridge Snowflake chair, I still don't understand why the side loop on the down direction (where the 2 extra bull wheels are) is necessary. The up direction makes the bend with a curved sheave. Why couldn't the down direction do the same?

It can only turn one direction, in this case right, due to the grip of the chair facing outboard.

BeefyBoy50

To discuss more chairlift weirdness:
I'm sure you can find more info on this lift elsewhere, given how groundbreaking it is, but I just realized it last week (although it is not exactly a chairlift with a turn in the line).
At the bottom station of the Jackson Hole tram, there is a moving platform that goes back and forth, leaving only enough space for one tram to be in the station at a time (this makes sense because it is impossible for the trams to both be in there at the same time anyway). This way, the station is less wide, but the tram can still be boarded from both directions. At the top, however, there are two "parking spaces", each large enough for a tram, with a small space in between. This means you can get out both directions at the top, too, although there is no moving platform. This means that, as the tram goes up the mountain, the towers get wider because the cables increase in distance from one another. Pretty cool engineering there.

SkiingInABlueDream

It can only turn one direction, in this case right, due to the grip of the chair facing outboard.

Oh, duh! So obvious now that you mention it.
Last thing (hopefully :) ) I'll say about the Snowflake: it'd be fun to ride the chair's entire circuit, particularly the extra loop in the down direction.

@BeefyBoy: That's really interesting! I'll have to look for that next time I'm at JH.

thetrailboss

Staff member
To discuss more chairlift weirdness:
I'm sure you can find more info on this lift elsewhere, given how groundbreaking it is, but I just realized it last week (although it is not exactly a chairlift with a turn in the line).
At the bottom station of the Jackson Hole tram, there is a moving platform that goes back and forth, leaving only enough space for one tram to be in the station at a time (this makes sense because it is impossible for the trams to both be in there at the same time anyway). This way, the station is less wide, but the tram can still be boarded from both directions. At the top, however, there are two "parking spaces", each large enough for a tram, with a small space in between. This means you can get out both directions at the top, too, although there is no moving platform. This means that, as the tram goes up the mountain, the towers get wider because the cables increase in distance from one another. Pretty cool engineering there.

Interesting. Another reason for the high price tag for the Tram. That is a beautiful lift. Someday Snowbird might have to redo theirs....

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

thetrailboss

Staff member

skiNEwhere

Looks like those and the Sunrise chairs are long gone.

My wife vetoed me getting a Gad 2 chair last year. And they were $500 each :shock:

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

I'd check Craigslist. I bought a chair from the old exhibition triple at A-Basin for $100