• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Bear Mountain, CT, 02/07/07

threecy

Website
www.franklinsites.com
Bear Mountain, CT

Date Hiked: 02/07/07

Trails(s) Hiked: Appalachian Trail

Difficulty: Moderate

Conditions: Clear, snow, sections of ice

Special Required Equipment: Cramp-ons would have helped in sections

The day of extreme winter hiking, Connecticut style, didn't quite start off as planned - a few miles down the road, I realized I didn't have a jacket or fleece with me. No worries, especially after having an unsuccessful attempt at pumping gas in Dalton (frozen pumps). Nonetheless, I carried on.

It was around 6 or so degrees at the trailhead - tropical weather, for sure. After looking at the AMC Hut briefly, I started down the trail, the footprints showing that I was been the first person on it in the last few days. Until the Appalachian Trail is reached, it is a very gradual walk.

The Appalachian Trail does almost a straight shot up the ledgy north face of Bear Mountain - lots of slipping and sliding since I wasn't using crampons or Stablicers. Fortunately, due to the exposure, there was very little wind until reaching the summit.

The big pile of rocks at the summit provides strong views to the north, while some ledges south of it provide views to the west and south. There appeared to be a few snow squals southeast and north of the mountain while I was at the summit.

bearmtntrail-2007-0207a.jpg

montvm

Awesome, I was thinking about doing Bear tomorrow but Via Under Mountain Trail. We shall see though...

Mike P.

montvm,

Did you hike on Sunday? Inquiring minds want to know.