• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Loon Experience

Puck it

The one time I went to Cannon it wasn't a good day...poor visibility with 2 inches of manky snow over ice. Now I wonder how many of the more seasoned folks said this as they whizzed by me...

Sounds like Sunday!!! We probably couldn't see you.

Newpylong

+1

I completely disagree with everyone's opinion that the mountain is right to "protect" it's clientele. They are reinforcing irresponsible behavior and decision making. Issuing warnings, ratings, and info about conditions is all they should be responsible for. That attitude is why no one takes personal responsibility anymore. Everyone just believes, "Well, I'm allowed to do it so it must be safe." I'm not willing to give up my freedoms in the name of safety. I'm so tired of the bubble wrapping and dumbing down of our society. It's pathetic.

Try not to apply your overall disdain for an over-litigious society for something so simple as this. Even though the back of the ticket says everything is at your own risk it is only human to try to keep your patrons out of danger. If this wasn't the case, what is the point of even having open/closed trails? Try being the GM who has to call a kid's family to tell them their kid just killed themselves on a trail.

SkiFanE

Try not to apply your overall disdain for an over-litigious society for something so simple as this. Even though the back of the ticket says everything is at your own risk it is only human to try to keep your patrons out of danger. If this wasn't the case, what is the point of even having open/closed trails? Try being the GM who has to call a kid's family to tell them their kid just killed themselves on a trail.

In my opinion, patrollers have differing level of ski abilities - and some may go "oh shit" on a trail that is perfectly fine for me. There have been days when they will have a double black groomer that is shear ice open, while a firm bumped up trail is closed. Why? Because, like most skiers, most patrollers can't ski the bumps well and must feel it's too dangerous. I ski bumps all day, and feel safe on any icy bump trail...but get me on an icy headwall and I have a panic attack - I'm SO scared of ice and slipping and falling and going out of control. So truly...their criteria for open/close is bogus. Get someone on a bumpy icy trail that is out of their league - yeah, they may be miserable, tear an ACL, whatever. But get someone careening down an icy headwall into the woods? Yeah...you're calling med-flight.

And to OP - so what if they clip the corner of your pass! You go back to SR "oops, lost my pass"...after 48 hours to be sure it isn't turned in (snicker)...you'll get a new one. I don't think patrollers put that info in the database.

I can ski loon for free too..but no way I'd waste a precious ski day there...absolutely no way. Guess you found out the hard way.

skiMEbike

And to OP - so what if they clip the corner of your pass! You go back to SR "oops, lost my pass"...after 48 hours to be sure it isn't turned in (snicker)...you'll get a new one. I don't think patrollers put that info in the database.

I can ski loon for free too..but no way I'd waste a precious ski day there...absolutely no way. Guess you found out the hard way.

I am fairly certain they (Boyne) do keep track of pass pulling incidents, therefore did not want to be a labeled as a habitual offender....

In regards to skiing Loon for free...I just had to experience it first hand, but now like you I will not waste another precious ski day there again whether it be free or even if you paid me to ski there.

witch hobble

Your over all perception of the place is probably right. Good, hardwood sidecountry/slackcountry available, but low elevation. And those crowds.

As for patrol, I'm not defending anyone's decisions in particular, but remember:

Patrol does not necessarily open or close a trail based on your ability to ski the trail. It is based on whether the available staff feels they have a reasonable chance of being able to safely transport a 250# adult with a broken femur or neck or whatever off of the trail, doing no further harm.

Edd

Patrol does not necessarily open or close a trail based on your ability to ski the trail. It is based on whether the available staff feels they have a reasonable chance of being able to safely transport a 250# adult with a broken femur or neck or whatever off of the trail, doing no further harm.

This is exactly right. That is the primary consideration for ski patrol.

chuckstah

Loon skied quite good for the last 6 or so weeks on everything including the side country. After the thaw/freeze I would imagine not so much. I ski loon quite a bit on my Boyne pass because it is closer than SR or the loaf but Ill make the longer drive until snow or spring conditions reopen the needlessly closed stuff. Or just duck the rope. Never had an issue. Conversation at worst.

skiMEbike

With parts of Loon being on National Forest Land, do we have more "rights" to ski on the National forest land..like say skiing a closed upper & lower walking boss glade for instance?

chuckstah

From what ski patrol told me you can ski the out of bounds sidecountry, at your own risk but not duck ropes inbounds. Someone had a compound fracture OB last year and the rescue was difficult. They are trying to limit OB skiing this season which is bullshit being public land, but they can't stop you. Don't take this for fact. It is second hand info.

SkiFanE

Your over all perception of the place is probably right. Good, hardwood sidecountry/slackcountry available, but low elevation. And those crowds.

As for patrol, I'm not defending anyone's decisions in particular, but remember:

I would agree, but at least for what I've seen at SR that does not make sense. Its all over the map as to what is open and closed. In 10 years of being a passholder I still don't get their logic somedays. Oh well...sometimes just have to quietly duck a rope...no issues to date, just a matter of being stealth.

The Sneak

Loon and Waterville...both just total meh IMO.

Loon is classic eastern mass 3x a year gaper, perhaps coming there on a radio station -sponsored bus trip. Yah dood it was fahkin pissa.

Shame BC Lincoln is kinda cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snoseek

As a midweek skier Loon is pretty good IMO. 2000 vertical feet of fall line and zero run out, close to 93 and very good snowmaking. Weekends different ball game and yeah Cannon is the 93 winner for advanced skiers....always has been. My local hill is steep gnarly and usually deep as fuck (not in 14-15) and I'll gladly roll into Loon and its nothing but good times. This thread is the epitome of first world problems.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Good, hardwood sidecountry/slackcountry available, but low elevation.

I was unaware of this. Never heard anyone talk about side country at Loon, never mind that there is "good" side country. Given the topography of the area, I guess it shouldn't surprise me.

snoseek

I was unaware of this. Never heard anyone talk about side country at Loon, never mind that there is "good" side country. Given the topography of the area, I guess it shouldn't surprise me.

Next time you ride up north peak quad look left....it is an adventure for sure

bdfreetuna

One look at the trail map and you can tell every trail is exactly the same, and that the black diamonds run parallel and in between blues.

Personally since I have no interest in skiing Loon (my one time skiing there long ago was crowded and boring)... I'm glad they do draw the crowds. I actually wish there were a few more designated gaper resorts. Could keep the crowds down at some other places.

Instead of bugging Ski Patrol I'd have just skied the trail towards the end of the day. No big deal to lose a pass, probably won't happen anyway.

Anyway it sounds like you haven't been to much variety of ski resorts, or maybe I read you wrong. I'd suggest doing some research and pulling the trigger on a slightly longer drive to Vermont next time.

freeski

Loon is way too crowded and the terrain is vanilla. The greatest thing about Loon is how much pressure it takes off of Cannon. :)