• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Where to stay near the Loaf

mr magoo

I am considering a weekend trip to sugarloaf and am looking for experience on where to stay. Money counts. I am looking for something spartan near the fun. Fri/Sat nite.
Any recommended dinner and drinks establishments would be a bonus.
Thanks a million for sharing any experience, knowledge or opinion.

ceo

Ask about the Skiers Quarters in the Sugarloaf Inn. Definitely meets the "spartan" requirement; they're in the basement kind of under the bar. They aren't mentioned on the website. Time my son and I stayed there, they warned me about the noise from the bar, but it wasn't an issue at all.

For dinner and drinks, in the base village there's Gepetto's and The Bag, both quite nice. The Rack down on the access road comes well recommended, but I haven't been there. Also 45 North in the Sugarloaf Mountain Hotel, but if price is an issue it's not your best choice.

darent

check the Herbert Hotel for deals, good eats at the Trailside Steak House in Eustis. search this forum for the name of a place in Stratton that is pretty cheap that I have heard mentioned here.

Edd

The town of Stratton, which is maybe 7 miles from the access road, has inexpensive lodging.

skiMEbike

^^^ What he said...Skier's Quarters at the Sugarloaf Inn is the cheapest on mountain lodging. Next cheapest options would be a standard room at the Sugarloaf Inn or a Timberwind Studio...I am fairly certain these two types of units are priced the same. The benefit of Timberwind is you get a kitchenette included & you are directly across the street from the health & fitness center (if those things are appealing). Both places are right next to a lift & ski in/ski out units. The plus of staying at Sugarloaf Inn is you have a bar & restaurant right in your building. As for drinks, I'd recommend the Rack or Widowmaker. Once you are on mountain, you can pretty much utilize the shuttle service to get you where you need to go, so no need to drive. If looking for cheap off mountain spots 7-8 miles north is the White Wolf Inn in Stratton, King Herbert Hotel in Kingfield (12-15 miles south of the mountain), or check out Airbnb online.

Let me know if you have any other questions...Enjoy!!

snoseek

Does the white wolf still cook up good stuff? I've had some excellent supper there in the past.

Whitey

Hebert Inn is the cheapest in the area. Pretty spartan accommodations, but if all you are looking for is a bed and a shower - it will do the trick. Also note that Kingfield is south of Sugarloaf and Stratton is north. So if you are coming up from route 95 then getting to Stratton will take you about 45 min longer to get to.

Don't want to give away too many of my secrets but, if you are coming from the south and driving up the night before - you can get a room at the Comfort Inn in Farmington and that shaves about 45-60 minutes off of the trip up. Then get up early AM and do the not quite 1 hr drive the rest of the way to Sugarloaf. Ski Saturday & then stay at the Hebert or Skiers' Quarters Sat nite. I've done that routine a bunch of times and between taking some of the edge off of the long drive up and also from how much $ you spend - it works quite well. There's also some other hotel/motel/B&B type places in Farmington too.

xwhaler

Food: The Bag (Rack food/service is pretty marginal IMHO---its gone downhill as they clearly focus more on the bar side of things)
Drinks: Widowmaker/The Rack/Shipyard Inn

Also, depending on when you are going you may want to look into a ski/stay booked directly through the Loaf

[h=1]King of Spring[/h][h=2]The best spring skiing in the East from $79[/h]Sugarloaf is the King of Spring, and you can enjoy the best spring skiing in the East for as little as $79 per person per night, from April 12 through the end of the season.

mr magoo

Thank you for all of this gold.
It sounds right on track for me.
Hope to see you there.
Mike

The Sneak

Whatever became of Judson's anyway?
A guy I went to school with wandered out of a party there one night and they didn't find him til 4 months later. It was awful.

skiMEbike

A guy I went to school with wandered out of a party there one night and they didn't find him til 4 months later. It was awful.

At one point (about a year ago) it was rumored to have been purchased & being turned into a Hostel type facility. My undertanting now is theat Baxter Outdoors owns the facility. Baxter Outdoors is some sort of branch affilitated with Baxter Breweing Company that hosts/produces outdoor adventures & competitions. As of a couple weeks ago, I have yet to see any activity/improvements on the site except for the presence of a Baxter Outdoors sign (however I believe the sign has now been "adopted").

Cornhead

http://www.mountainviewmotelmaine.com/

I alway stay here. Cheap rooms. Small Kitchen set up. Room for more than two. The people who own it are top notch.

Another vote for The Mountainview, I've stayed there a couple times, about 5 miles from the Sugarloaf access road. I stayed there during Nemo, I was watching TV when an announcement came on saying, "The Winter storm warning has been canceled, a blizzard warning is now in effect. Two feet of snow with 60mph winds." I went to a convince store in town looking for candles. All they had were birthday cake candles. That night there was a knock on my door, it was the owner holding a large pot. She told me to fill it with water since if the power went out, so would their well pump. She also told me they would provide kerosene lanterns. I awoke to the power still on, 3" in the parking lot, some blizzard. The 3" in the lot was 6" on the hill, and it snowed all day Saturday. The storm dumped a total of 18". The best part was they were threatening to arrest people in NE if they drove, so if you weren't there Friday, you weren't there Saturday, awesome day at da Loaf! Have fun!

Whitey

Huh?Its about a 12 minute ride to Stratton from the access road.

If I had been talking about how far away Stratton is from Sugarloaf. But I was referencing that for most people who are coming up from the south (which would be like 90% of all Sugarloaf skiers), Stratton would be about 45 minutes further than Kingfield. Maybe it's closer to 30 minutes further than 45, but either way my point still stands.

bigbog

Whitey,
Stratton is ~10mi(max) , ~15min from the SL access road...

1) WhiteWolf Inn(on lefthand side as you begin to bear left in the village)...Rebuilt last spring, suffered water break last midwinter.
2) Tranquility Lodge is on righthand side, just ~100yds up on the Eustis Road(a right off main road)..but is, if I remember correctly, a 2 night minimum...
3) Ditto Bob R's = mountainviewmotel(.com)....
4) XXX?-Motel(on your left) just before entering Stratton...(was inexpensive a few years ago..)

http://www.tranquillitylodge.com/

Last edited:

bigbog

The Bolshoi (Ballet...ie stripclub) got disbanded(closed down by Town Council or some group) sometime in either 13' or 14' = most of their business went elsewhere.

skiMEbike

The Bolshoi (Ballet...ie stripclub) got disbanded(closed down by Town Council or some group) sometime in either 13' or 14' = most of their business went elsewhere.

I believe you are thinking of the Carrabassett Inn, which got sold to build the bowling alley. I am fairly certain they were not forced to disband....So if you read betweeen the lines (or should I say between the cracks;-)), there's an oppportunitiy for someone to bring back "The Bolshoi", however I do believe any new establishment would need authorization from the Town.