• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sugarloaf Lift Accident - 3/21/15

deadheadskier

Staff member
Thank you gentlemen.

The only place you see a $50-75K return on a $25K kitchen renovation just prior to sale is HGTV. (fantasy world) I don't know a single person who has ever done much more than paint and maybe flooring prior to selling their house. You do the bare minimum to make it attractive against the comps in the neighborhood.

Much like a car loses a ton of value the second it's driven off the lot, I bet a ski lift loses a bunch of value the day it's fully installed.

tumbler

But a remodel will save you days on market and potentially having to carry two mortgages, taxes, etc or it will keep you from not getting the house you want because you haven't sold yours yet. Upgrade the kitchens and baths, put in middle of the road with decent workmanship. Buyers want upgrades and they are all "savvy" from HGTV.

AdironRider

But a remodel will save you days on market and potentially having to carry two mortgages, taxes, etc or it will keep you from not getting the house you want because you haven't sold yours yet. Upgrade the kitchens and baths, put in middle of the road with decent workmanship. Buyers want upgrades and they are all "savvy" from HGTV.

The average kitchen remodel costs 50-60k. You think its worth losing 12.5-15 grand just to sell the house a few days earlier?

That is a foolish decision no matter how you slice it.

danimals

50-60k for a kitchen? Seriously? I've rarely seen one over 15k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdironRider

Lets just ignore the facts I linked to which actually give you a solid number, which is $54909 average job cost with an added retail value of just $40732. A whopping 74.2% return of the original investment.

Seriously, read a bit first before acting a fool. Those numbers above are nationwide averages, the numbers get worse for just New England. Data comes directly from the National Board of Realtors.

Savemeasammy

Wow. What happened to this thread?!

And....

Get real. I probably have more than $15k in materials alone in my kitchen remodel, and I did the work myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/

thetrailboss

Staff member
Wow. What happened to this thread?!

And....

Get real. I probably have more than $15k in materials alone in my kitchen remodel, and I did the work myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/

Back to Sugarloaf....

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com

Working on a house right now , the guy is spending literally $100K ( not a remodel ) I'm anxious to see what it looks like,I've been in larger kithcens before.

As for lifts ,I'm not a tax expert but I would guess there is a substantial depreciation on a lift ....10-15yr lifespan? So as far as resale goes that would be in the mix.

thetrailboss

Staff member

Read the report. Here are my thoughts:

1. More than once they mention that Sugarloaf altered evidence before investigators got there. They admit that there was probably no intent, but it's still not good.

2. They also were critical of maintenance and inspection.

3. Sounds like a design defect to have the solenoids hold the drop dogs up based only on the speed, and not the direction, of the bull wheel. Based on the fact that one of the teeth was apparently shaved or broken it sounds like they might have briefly dropped.

4. It also sounded like the e-brake did not initially work.

All in all not good.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

dlague

ceo

The lift still loads from the side, like Timberline, instead of from behind like basically all other modern chairlifts. Why is that?