• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sugarloaf Lift Accident - 3/21/15

delco714

Haven't been to the loaf since first weekend January.. Wonder what a mess it is. A friend said she didn't want to bother to go back yet bc it was awful

delco714

I'm so done with this. Surprise snow storm hits my house, but misses sugarloaf and the cabin. I'm out!
6d63b58d473a5b5e2585e909104f36ea.jpg
653bd42caed7ebe2d9303adadebc616f.jpg

delco714

Sugarloaf up to $709 for silver pass for next season? Got to be fucking kidding me! That's almost $200 increase in 2 years. Over 25% bump!

skiMEbike

Sugarloaf up to $709 for silver pass for next season? Got to be fucking kidding me! That's almost $200 increase in 2 years. Over 25% bump!

I am not sure where you are getting your facts...however the early season price on the Silver pass the previous two years has not gone up....2014/15 & 2015/16 prices were $685. I calculate only $24 increase in 3 years.

thetrailboss

Staff member
It is good to see the Loaf being proactive in providing information about their lifts and maintenance programs.

The river hasn't been as outspoken, but with the recent West Virginia accident, I have noticed multiple inspections of some of the towers, mechanics climbing up those welded ladder rungs and checking them over.

Sugarloaf did state on that site that they had inspected their towers.

delco714

I am not sure where you are getting your facts...however the early season price on the Silver pass the previous two years has not gone up....2014/15 & 2015/16 prices were $685. I calculate only $24 increase in 3 years.
I'll have to look at my credit card or something.. I do not mentally agree with that. I remember price hikes the last two years..hmm

Jully

Was going to bring a lower intermediate friend to the Loaf this weekend... but with Bucksaw removed and Whiffletree down... very little easily lapped lower intermediate terrain so I'll be going to SR instead. Pretty frustrated actually.

deadheadskier

Staff member
A new Bucksaw lift should be a top priority for them. Great low intermediate terrain and access to Bullwinkles

deadheadskier

Staff member
Lookers right of the Superquad. Serviced the blue and green terrain to the west of tote road quite well when it ran on busy days.

I think the mountain was short sighted in throwing in all those big condos right there. Think they're called the Timbers. They make accessing that terrain and (former) lift a bit tricky and inconvenient.

skiMEbike

A new Bucksaw lift should be a top priority for them. Great low intermediate terrain and access to Bullwinkles

Agree...It's really felt when another lift goes down (like this past weekend with WTree out of commission). "If I were GM at SL with access to some capital", my plan would be to replace bucksaw with some kind of 2-stage gondola to the summit with a mid-station at bullwinkles. You get more opportunities to exploit BW for other non-skiing events which also could justify making some improvements to the the building. You get your bucksaw replacement. You get your top-to-bottom signature lift....ALL WITH 1 LIFT !!

Furthermore, you have more "incentive" (with a base to summit lift) to invest in the summit building to turn it into something that could generate some revenue.

A key to "my plan" which I think would be crucial to making it work (which I haven't quite figured out) is....Somehow moving the base of a new "bucksaw replacement" lift closer to the base lodge (or moving the base lodge closer to the SQ/bucksaw area).

deadheadskier

Staff member
Agreed. Whiffletree offers good access from the lodge, but everything on Superquad side is a pain to get to. Maybe the solution is whenever they replace double runner they bring the base of the lift down and realign closer to the lodge

ceo

I've never liked the idea of a 2-stage gondola with a turn at Bullwinkles; for one thing, that'll be a long ride to the summit and it doesn't fit well with the trail layout (unless you want to start it where Bucksaw started, which will make SL's terrible base layout even terribler).

Bullwinkle's to the top is tricky anyway; a direct line cuts across Narrow Gauge Extension and nearly crosses the top of Skyline.

I've been experimenting with Google Maps and I don't see an easy way to realign a DR replacement to start lower. Unless you move it over and run it up Landing and Lower Winter's Way, kind of next to Skidway.