• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Saddleback March 21 - A hint of Spring and I Busted my Sticks

salsgang

We had an interesting week in the @MaineSkiFamily household.

- My son Alec got interviewed on the Weather Channel about this never-ending winter
- A planned mid-week ski day got cancelled due to this never ending winter
- We had a great ski-day at Saddleback on Saturday. A hint of spring, great snow, great crowd. A really good day - but it looks like it is back into the freezer-burn today
- I busted up my six year old Rossi Phantoms. RIP - many good runs on these sticks.

More details, photo's and 2 videos on the blog for those that are interested.

http://www.maineskifamily.com/2015/...usted-ski-great-ski-day-saddleback-maine.html

IMG_1705.JPG

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
Terminology question:

I know "boards" as archaic for skis; and "sticks" as an archaic name for "ski poles".

Are many of you familiar with using the term. "sticK", to describe skis?

salsgang

Terminology question:

I know "boards" as archaic for skis; and "sticks" as an archaic name for "ski poles".

Are many of you familiar with using the term. "sticK", to describe skis?

Haven't heard sticks used for poles or the use of sticK for skis - but that is cool to know. Thanks.

deadheadskier

Staff member
If someone said, "I just got back from Vermont. I picked up a new set of sticks." I would assume they are talking about new skis. Boards = skis as well.

I haven't heard the term "sticks" used for poles before. I'm not sure I can think of another word people use for poles because they tend to be considered an insignificant piece of equipment compared to everything else.

bdfreetuna

Nice video as always. Damn, I'll be skiing my Phantoms up there in a couple weekends! Too bad about those skis -- they're great. Mine are on 5 seasons though and starting to get pretty beat up. Are newer skis even better? Is what I want to know...

salsgang

Nice video as always. Damn, I'll be skiing my Phantoms up there in a couple weekends! Too bad about those skis -- they're great. Mine are on 5 seasons though and starting to get pretty beat up. Are newer skis even better? Is what I want to know...

I hopped on my son's newer Line Prophets a couple of weekends ago - they skied pretty well. I will probably demo the newer Rossi Models (Soul 7's I think) and go from there! It was kind of a bummer to bust up those skis.

Edd

I'm with a group staying on mountain at Saddleback. Total wind hold shut out but we were expecting it. We've come to the mountain to have a burger because the bar is staying open. I have never seen a lodge look so empty on a Sunday.

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1427050191.190817.jpg

bdfreetuna

Wow looking lonely up there. The 2 main lifts were on hold I take it?

Salsgang.. I hope you demo the new Rossis first. I've watched plenty of people ski the souls and from what I can tell they look like a downgrade. Maybe just for my style of skiing... I'm looking at Dynastar PowerTrack 89's for next season. I think that will ski like an improved Phantom.

Edd

Wow looking lonely up there. The 2 main lifts were on hold I take it?.

Yeah, the lodge itself was totally shut down except for the bar/restaurant where I had some most excellent poutine. We reserved a condo less than 10 days ago. We aren't leaving until Wednesday but this is the reason I don't like reserving ahead of the weather forecast. We made the most of it by drinking all day.

Cornhead

Very cool, too bad the connection was lost. Nice that he got his photos shown on a National TV show. Nice face shot pic, they're rare at "Camelback".:rolleyes:

Someday, probably before or after an AZ Summit, I'll get to ski the upper mountain at Saddleback. I've been there once, only the lower mountain was open. I tried to ski there after the AZ Summit in 2013, the whole mountain was shut that day due to wind also.

bigbog

Yeah, the lodge itself was totally shut down except for the bar/restaurant where I had some most excellent poutine. We reserved a condo less than 10 days ago. We aren't leaving until Wednesday but this is the reason I don't like reserving ahead of the weather forecast. We made the most of it by drinking all day.

Well you've still got a couple days to play with... At least the wind died down today.

Last edited:

salsgang

Hey Mishka I was there today (Wednesday) too. Great weather day. Groomers were spot on. Woods, Bumps a bit firm but edgeable and and fun as always.

I ended up demoing some skis and brought home the Blizzard Bonafides 173cm 98 underfoot. 11cm wider and 3 cm longer than my Phantoms. Skiing on a rocker was a bit different a first, but found it to be quite enjoyable in the woods / bumps and I need to push forward a bit to engage the rocker on the groomers. Overall a great ski for me and I quite happy with them.

More details on the blog.

http://www.maineskifamily.com/2015/03/bluebird-march-ski-day-at-saddleback.html

Edd

Saddleback was sweet today. Sugarloaf was just as good yesterday. No wind and full on sun.