• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow 3/21/2015

arik

Date(s) Skied: Saturday March 21, 2015

Resort or Ski Area: Mount Snow

Conditions: sunnier than expected, snow was soft at the bottom and just beginning to soften higher up, there is still a ton of snow here

Trip Report: Surprise sunny day Saturday, expected hardpack but found pretty good conditions on Olympic, Plummet, Free Fall, and Ledge.

Summit lodge had run out of food and several beers when I stopped in for a break around 2pm. Such a different vibe from Berkshire East but definitely a good time!

Attachments

• birch glade from free fall.jpg
    birch glade from free fall.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 175
  • free fall.jpg
    free fall.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 174
  • ledge.jpg
    ledge.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 175
  • more birch glade.jpg
    more birch glade.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 174

drjeff

The free fall pic is a good one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Freefall has been looking like that for roughly a month now :) They've been keeping Challenger, Freefall, Jaws, Little Steep, Boulder Pile and Ripcord ungroomed and bumped for a while now. The cats have been on Chute and Fallen Timbers multiple times per week (if not daily) as of late, and Plummet and Olympic have also been in the regular grooming rotation the last month or so.

Since we've had a couple of warm to cold cycles lately, the bumped terrain is often closed first thing in the AM (if not all day sometimes) until the snow softens, rather than groom them out to make them skiable from 1st chair

Jcb890

Freefall has been looking like that for roughly a month now :) They've been keeping Challenger, Freefall, Jaws, Little Steep, Boulder Pile and Ripcord ungroomed and bumped for a while now. The cats have been on Chute and Fallen Timbers multiple times per week (if not daily) as of late, and Plummet and Olympic have also been in the regular grooming rotation the last month or so.

Since we've had a couple of warm to cold cycles lately, the bumped terrain is often closed first thing in the AM (if not all day sometimes) until the snow softens, rather than groom them out to make them skiable from 1st chair

I was there on 3/21 & 3/22 as well. 3/22 the North Face was closed all day to due high winds. On 3/21 (Saturday) the North Face was great. The sun softened it up nicely. Even at the end of the day it wasn't too icy and chopped up. I really enjoyed Fallen Timbers, PDF, Free Fall, Olympic, Plummet and Little Steep.

Oh and on my 2nd to last run down I lost my friggin glove off of the Challenger lift. Thankfully there was low traffic and I was able to make it down and grab it. A nice skier was in the mogul field (where it fell) and tossed it over to me since I rode down the side, not in the moguls. He said he saw me lose it off the chair.

MommaBear

Guess I didn't go over far enough on NF. Was not happy with a run down Olympic on 3/21 - actually ducked into the woods to avoid most of the trail. Slipped and slid the top part of the trail under the Challenger lift (can never remember the name). Assumed I'd find the same everywhere else over there. Since I had come from nice soft bumps on Bear Trap, I scrapped the NF and enjoyed the bumps over in Sunbrook for the rest of the day instead. More my speed anyway. :)

Jcb890

Guess I didn't go over far enough on NF. Was not happy with a run down Olympic on 3/21 - actually ducked into the woods to avoid most of the trail. Slipped and slid the top part of the trail under the Challenger lift (can never remember the name). Assumed I'd find the same everywhere else over there. Since I had come from nice soft bumps on Bear Trap, I scrapped the NF and enjoyed the bumps over in Sunbrook for the rest of the day instead. More my speed anyway. :)

Olympic was in the worst condition of the North Face trails I went on 3/21. I thought Free Fall (trail under Challenger lift) was decent when I went down it, but I branched off and went onto PDF, which was pretty nice.

I spent most of 3/22 over at Sunbrook because the North Face was closed due to wind. I really enjoy Sunbrook and there's almost never lift lines. I spent a bunch of time on 3/21 there as well.