• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Finding a seasonal rental

gmcunni

I'm toying with the idea of a seasonal rental next year, somewhere in S Vt. Other than scouring VRBO, Craigslist and other similar sites is there a good source for these types of listings?

HowieT2

I'm toying with the idea of a seasonal rental next year, somewhere in S Vt. Other than scouring VRBO, Craigslist and other similar sites is there a good source for these types of listings?

not as far as I know, other than manually checking with local real estate agents.

gmcunni

thanks, will do.

what about timing? do owners start looking for new renters as soon as the season ends or does it not really kick into gear until the fall?

o3jeff

I'm lucking out, starting this summer my good friend is moving to NH so I'll have a free place to stay. Guess I might have to take up skiing again!

mbedle

I use VRBO and its worked out great for a rental up in Stowe the past 4 years. I would suggest that you start looking now for the best deals and security that you are going to get a place. Airbnb is another site you could look on. Every owner is going to be different as far as when they start to list their rentals. If you are looking for a seasonal rental, you might be able to save some money if you give up the rental for some busy holiday vacation weeks.

HD333

My experience from a timing point of view. Most places give current renters until May to re-up, then units go into inventory. June/July is the time frame you want to be looking or inventory can get slim. Or if you are not picky or do not want a specific location you can go later and maybe have some room for negotiating.

You say S. VT, if you are talking Ludlow area I highly recommend Trails End Accommodations for a realtor, not sure if they venture out of that area. We have been happy with their service for the past few years.

You may want to reach out to realtors in the area you are interested in who deal in rentals and get on their email list so you see when stuff hits the market.
IMHO dealing with an agency may cost you a bit more $, but when a problem arises, and it probably will, they are working for you and you are not tracking down some owner in Florida....

Good luck if you have any specific ?'s feel free to PM me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glenn

The local real estate magazines they have at business are usually a good source of seasonal rentals.

gmcunni

You say S. VT, if you are talking Ludlow area I highly recommend Trails End Accommodations for a realtor, not sure if they venture out of that area. We have been happy with their service for the past few years.
i think ludlow is as far north as i'd go and i was there yesterday when i came up with this idea. i shared tables twice yesterday with employees and there was a banner at the top of sunburst soliciting patrollers (or maybe ambassadors) for next season. not that getting a job at the mountain is easy or even something i really want to do but it had me thinking. especially since my wife doesnt' ski, daughter is not as dedicated as me and son is off @ school.

Good luck if you have any specific ?'s feel free to PM me.
thanks, will do.

Boxtop Willie

As a landlord of a seasonal rental at Sugarbush (for the last 15 years) I can tell you how I market the place. I have a listing at Homeaway.com up live all year. Maybe half of my seasonal tenants come from there. There is flurry of activity between about now until early May, then it gets really slow. Things start to pick up in August with Labor Day weekend being a big viewing time. If I dont have it rented by mid-summer I place a listing on Craigs list. I dont use local papers anymore because Craigs list gets those people. I try not to use realtors because they will charge me a fee and I have to pass that along to the renter. FYI, the market has moved increasingly quickly over the last 2 years. If you find a place you like, don't procrastinate. He who is prepared to place the largest deposit, wins.

gmcunni

As a landlord of a seasonal rental at Sugarbush (for the last 15 years) I can tell you how I market the place. I have a listing at Homeaway.com up live all year. Maybe half of my seasonal tenants come from there. There is flurry of activity between about now until early May, then it gets really slow. Things start to pick up in August with Labor Day weekend being a big viewing time. If I dont have it rented by mid-summer I place a listing on Craigs list. I dont use local papers anymore because Craigs list gets those people. I try not to use realtors because they will charge me a fee and I have to pass that along to the renter. FYI, the market has moved increasingly quickly over the last 2 years. If you find a place you like, don't procrastinate. He who is prepared to place the largest deposit, wins.

thanks, great info.

VTKilarney

I am sure you have thought of this, but if your family isn't as into skiing, would it make sense to pick a town that has more to offer for non-skiers? Of course the best towns in that regard aren't really in southern VT.

drjeff

WWW.dvalnews.com

This is the link to the local paper (the Deerfield Valley News) for the Mount Snow region that has many links to local real estate agencies with many seasonal listings for the route 100 corridor from Mount Snow up to Stratton