• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sunday River - 3/22/15

skiMEbike

Date(s) Skied: 3/22/15

Resort or Ski Area: Sunday River

Conditions: Windy, cold, 2 inches of snow, drifts

Trip Report: My original plan was to ski the Loaf, but after the KPine incident & (more importantly) the wind forecasts I decided to turn left off my street to head to the River versus turning right (Loaf)....Ahh the convenience of living in ME with a Boyne pass. I was not expecting much considering the wind forecasts & brutal cold temperatures. I brought my XC gear, as I was fully expecting to arrive at the Mountain with everything shut down and looking for alternatives....To my surprise, I was wrong & lifts were turning.

It appeared the mountain received 1-2 inches of snow overnight. Even though the lifts were turning I was fully expecting firm, bullet proof conditions considering the temps....Boy was I wrong. Never before did 2 inches of snow feel so DEEP (I know I know..."that's what she said"). The mountain had Barker, Locke, Spruce, North Peak, and Oz to start the day, but about mid morning Spruce when on mechanical hold. I am fairly certain Oz ran all day, but once Spruce went down there was no "easy" way to get there. As long as you hugged & skied the left edge of the trails it was windblown boot deep powder (& more in some places)....A true "powder" day. Everything skied great ! The place was dead and ski onto the lift for the most part...Amazing considering it was the weekend & over half the mountain was on windhold. I only skied a few glades (Gnarnia & Tango), but they had some fluff which made them very enjoyable. Top Gun skied great all day with drifts along the entire left side. I made the trek over to White Cap from Locke, and I was rewarded with blown in drifts all over Shockwave (not sure why it was roped off??) with maybe one other set of tracks on it. Surpisingly, Sunday River did not mail it in either with the small crowd & crazy winds...They opened up White Heat Quad late in the day (around 3:00).

Nothing like 2 inches of powder with 6 inches of wind...Great day on the hill if you could withstand the wind.

TOD: Shockwave.

Uppercut:
IMG_0839.jpg

A couple of Shockwave:
IMG_0840.jpg

IMG_0842.jpg