• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

First Time at Stowe (I broke my ski in half)

deadheadskier

Staff member
for me, I'd just be upset at the principle of the matter if I was ss20. Whether he likes the skis or not doesn't matter as much as it would appear the shop tried to take advantage of him to dump skis they were having trouble getting rid of.

I'd call the manager and ask for an explanation.

thetrailboss

Staff member
for me, I'd just be upset at the principle of the matter if I was ss20. Whether he likes the skis or not doesn't matter as much as it would appear the shop tried to take advantage of him to dump skis they were having trouble getting rid of.

I do agree with that. It does sound like either you had folks in the shop who don't have a clue or someone that knew what he was doing and took advantage of the situation. Either way I will remember and be sure not to go there if I go to Stowe in the near future.

crank

Anyway, we skied Stowe Sunday and Monday. Lots of nice creamy, dry and somewhat dense snow in the trees and on some bumpers. We stayed in the woods mostly. Place was empty on Sunday and emptier on Monday so we were finding fresh lines all day long both days. Skied the Bruce trail for my first time last run Sunday afternoon. Monday afternoon we lapped Goat's woods and were skiing through the blowdown area there and there was plenty enough base to make it safe. Felt like western tree skiing. Hit Goat from the top for my last run - haven't skied the top of Goat in decades.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!

Exactly. That's what I'm mad at. They saw my broken ski and knew my predictiment. That was a bad idea on my part I guess.

RISkier

Pretty sure we saw you skiing down on 1 ski carrying what appeared to be the other ski. We were there during the same time period. Excellent skiing though a couple of days were very windy and cold for this time of year.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Exactly. That's what I'm mad at. They saw my broken ski and knew my predictiment. That was a bad idea on my part I guess.

Have you called them?

If I were the manager of that shop and found out one of my employees did this and now it's being discussed online? I'd be PISSED. The last thing you'd ever want is a reputation that your facility is either shady or doesn't know any better than to give women's skis to a man.

The whole situation is really surprising to me because Stowe Toys used to be the best of the best as far as demo gear. The many years I was a pass holder at the mountain they always had the most top of the line gear available. Except for the start of the season sale, the gear would always be the current year model. Reading of this experience, I guess they've fallen away from that level of quality.

It's definitely worth a call though. They might be willing to work an exchange that's very favorable for you if you want to go that direction. I bet had you shared this story under Stowe's Yelp or Tripadvisor page, someone from the mountain would have contacted you already. Online reputation is that important for businesses these days.

Hawkshot99

construction wise no difference. If anything women ski be shorter and slightly softer

The differences between mens and womens skis will vary greatly from company to company.
K2 for instance makes a completely different ski for their women then the guys. They have a team of women who decided what they want and they get it done.
Other companies do almost nothing for a womens ski, saying how a women doesn't want a "lesser ski".
The 2 standards for a ladies ski are a more feminine graphic, and the bindings are moved forward 2 cm.

If you skied on them and enjoyed them then who cares, but I would be pissed off that I was not informed by the salesman.
I have sold many pairs of ladies skis, gloves, ect to guys over the years. However I ALWAYS make sure that they, or their parents are aware of it. The last thing I ever want is a pissed off customer when they find out they were dooped.