• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How warm does it need to be for snow to soften?

jrmagic

Saturday was softer than Sunday at Magic overall though some runs did get nice and creamy Sunday afternoon. Although the rest of the mountain didn't really soften it was too beautiful outside to matter much.

Savemeasammy

Saturday at magic was much better than Sunday at Stratton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Savemeasammy

Friday at Attitash was softer than Saturday at Bretton Woods. Pats Peak was softer than both Sunday.

Probably the low elevation at Pats helped. The snow at the sunbowl base was nice corn, but up on the mountain not so much...

chuckstah

South facing trails at Killington such as Royal Flush, Vagabond, East Fall and all of South Ridge softened nicely yesterday after noon time. Much of the rest of the mountain remained firm. Not sure of the temp but it wasn't supposed to break freezing at elevation.

VTKilarney

The fact that we are talking about snow that hasn't softened at the very end of March is pretty amazing.

Edd

I've had some really nice days recently but the mashed potatoes that I love have eluded me.

hammer

So I don't want to ski on petrified corduroy this week...which will be the best day this week? Will it be worth it to wait until the warmer temps Friday even with the rain forecast?

xwhaler

So I don't want to ski on petrified corduroy this week...which will be the best day this week? Will it be worth it to wait until the warmer temps Friday even with the rain forecast?

I think Friday is definitely your best bet for softest snow---southern NH could hit 60 especially if the sun comes out.
Rain chances look less than 50% and even then looks like passing showers not full blown downpour.

Grizzly Adams

this coming weekend might be iffy.. I was checking out various forecasts saw chances of rain thurs/fri/sat pretty much everywhere in New England, with high-ish temps on Fri and possible cooling off Sat, conditions could be less than optimal. For soft snow conditions it obviously depends on a lot of variables but for true spring skiing my general benchmark is sunny with temps in the high 30's or above .

Puck it

this coming weekend might be iffy.. I was checking out various forecasts saw chances of rain thurs/fri/sat pretty much everywhere in New England, with high-ish temps on Fri and possible cooling off Sat, conditions could be less than optimal. For soft snow conditions it obviously depends on a lot of variables but for true spring skiing my general benchmark is sunny with temps in the high 30's or above .

Looks like snow for Saturday daytime.

chuckstah

The lower half of the mountain at Loon today softened up nicely once the sun came out at noonish. Still January conditions higher up. The inch or two of snow overnight freshened up the glades and bumps, but they were still a bit too firm for my liking. Still a day not to be missed!

jrmagic

Not sure where you are thinking about but after the warmth on Friday and and overnight lows barely getting to/below freezing I'm thinking Saturday won't be so firm for most of ski country even if it doesn't snow.

Savemeasammy

Not sure where you are thinking about but after the warmth on Friday and and overnight lows barely getting to/below freezing I'm thinking Saturday won't be so firm for most of ski country even if it doesn't snow.

Agree. Mild overnight lows means that the snow doesn't lock up overnight.

chuckstah

It's April and the snow is deep most everywhere. Get out and enjoy it. Won't be around forever. If It's soft great. If It's firm sharpen your edges. It's all good!