Need VT skiing advice

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Need VT skiing advice

So I bought one of those Fox 44 cards at the beginning of the year and now I need to use it. Right now I have only used 1 day at Jay on it. I'll squeeze in a day at Cannon sometime next week, so I figure if I head to VT and hit 2 mountains this weekend I will be getting my moneys worth. Problem is that I have never skied the majority of these mountains. So I have no clue which ones to choose.

I'm looking for advice for the best 2 of the list or the easiest combination of 2. Plan is to just grab a cheap hotel somewhere in between whatever mountains I decide to hit. They all seem to be somewhat comparable drives, so I'm up for whatever.

Here are my options: Middlebury Snow Bowl, Burke, Bolton Valley, Mad River, Suicide Six, and Smuggs. I'm counting out Whiteface, Gore, Titus, and Owl's Head due to driving distance/border crossings/my experience at the NY mountains while in college.

If anyone who is a VT regular has some advice on which are the best mountains, which might have the best conditions, which have cheap accommodations, etc. I would really appreciate your help. Really any general advice on these mountains, lodging ideas, and things to do in the area are all appreciated.

Thanks

I'm not sure when you are going, but this time of year snow retention is going to matter. Suicide Six is closed, if SnowCountry is to be believed.

I would probably go for Smuggs and Bolton Valley.

Closest options for a quick 2 day trip would be Middlebury paired with MRG I think.
    Stay at the HydeaWay...nice bar/food and they have some cheap midweek rooms.
    Catsup948 and I hit up BV/MRG/Middlebury a couple wknds ago and bunked at the Hydeaway.
    Middlebury closes up shop this Sunday so get there quick. BV is also good---Smuggs is the best mtn on the card IMHO.
    S6 is closed for the season. Buke+Cannon would be another combo to avoid long drives between the 2. Stay at Comfort Inn in St J in between.

Have Fun!
    2016-17
    Bretton Woods 11/23, 4/17
    Cannon 12/3, 4/8
    Ragged Mtn 12/9, 12/16, 12/17, 12/23, 12/24, 12/30, 12/31, 1/2, 1/7, 1/15, 1/21, 1/29, 2/11, 2/18, 3/4, 3/5, 3/19, 3/26, 4/1
    Crotched Mtn 12/21, 1/4, 1/11, 1/18, 1/25, 2/1, 2/8, 2/12, 2/15, 2/22, 3/9, 3/25, 4/2
    Gunstock 12/28
    Wildcat 1/22, 2/10, 4/15, 4/16
    Magic Mtn 1/26, 1/27
    Whaleback 2/19
    Okemo 11/26, 2/25
    Pats Peak 3/1
    Smugglers Notch 3/10
    Stowe 3/11
    Jay Peak 3/12
    Sugarbush (Mt Ellen) 3/13

2016-2017 Days: 51
    2015-2016 Days: 25
    2014-2015 Days: 36
    2013-2014 Days: 25
    2012-2013 Days: 16
    2011-2012 Days: 25
    2010-2011 Days: 24
    2009-2010 Days: 47

It sounds as though you may ski this weekend, and then not use the card after that...? If so, make a point of getting to Smuggs. I'm not sure how the ungroomed and off trail stuff will be. MRG is also great, but you really want the woods/ungroomed there. It still might be worth getting there if your season is done after this.

Can you put it off for a weekend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Savemeasammy View Post
    It sounds as though you may ski this weekend, and then not use the card after that...? If so, make a point of getting to Smuggs. I'm not sure how the ungroomed and off trail stuff will be. MRG is also great, but you really want the woods/ungroomed there. It still might be worth getting there if your season is done after this.

Can you put it off for a weekend?
    The way I see it, I basically have this weekend and next weekend to get some use out of this thing before a lot of places start to shut down. I'm heading to Sugarloaf for Reggae the weekend of 4/11-4/12, so I figure after that it will be slim pickings for open mountains. I also have a Ragged voucher to use up which will either be a sick day or one of these next 2 weekends paired with Cannon.

Mad River is the only one of these VT mountains that I have ever skied and frankly with the rain forcasted for tomorrow, I'm afraid things might be a little thin there. Could always break out the old beater skis though I suppose.

Weekend 1: Ragged and Cannon
    Weekend 2: Bolton and Smuggs

BV & Smuggs

Best Western in Waterbury
    Think Snow!

Quote Originally Posted by ThinkSnow View Post
    BV & Smuggs

Best Western in Waterbury
    Good choice, but I'd lodge in Williston at the Residence inn or Fairfield. Easier commute to Smuggs.

Quote Originally Posted by mccleaks View Post
    The way I see it, I basically have this weekend and next weekend to get some use out of this thing before a lot of places start to shut down.
    Gotcha. In that case, I would roll the dice and hope for good weather on Easter weekend and hit Smuggs/MRG then. Maybe use ragged this weekend? Hopefully things work out however you decide to go about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    Good choice, but I'd lodge in Williston at the Residence inn or Fairfield. Easier commute to Smuggs.
    I like the sound of this. I have enough Marriott rewards points to stay there for free.

Thread Information