• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

More deaths at SR and BW

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Sad indeed. Always.

Expert trail. Expert skier presumably. Was the trail groomed? or were the conditions just icy?

yeggous

Today I spoke with a reporter from the Boston Globe who is working on a story about all the skiing deaths this year. It is his opinion that there have been an exceptional rate of deaths. I call BS. Anyone have any facts on this?

He was asking if the accidents altered my ski habits and I laughed. He asked if I thought ski apps played a role. I told him nobody has there phone out while skiing. Nobody getting killed was trying to break speed records.

How do I convince this guy that this year is not exceptional?

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

Edd

A guy at work who skis only a few times a year on old equipment told me he hit 75 mph the other day at Gunstock. His app told him so. Sigh.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I bet the National Ski Areas Association has stats. I'd say 5-6 is about average for the region per season.

It probably just seems like more because more than ever news stories get shared across larger amounts of news outlets.

Domeskier

Today I spoke with a reporter from the Boston Globe who is working on a story about all the skiing deaths this year. It is his opinion that there have been an exceptional rate of deaths. I call BS. Anyone have any facts on this?

He was asking if the accidents altered my ski habits and I laughed. He asked if I thought ski apps played a role. I told him nobody has there phone out while skiing. Nobody getting killed was trying to break speed records.

How do I convince this guy that this year is not exceptional?

I think you should go with the "too much grooming" angle and see where that gets you.

skiNEwhere

Like Edd was saying, I think the apps do come into play, if even a little. I tried to hit 70mph on Rosi's run at copper (fell short by 2mph's) using alpine replay, which is the same trail the US ski team uses and has 10 foot reinforced fences the entire way down.

Stupid, maybe, but if you're gonna be stupid be smart about it.

deadheadskier

Staff member
guilty as charged

A couple years ago when I first got the App, I attempted to see how fast the cell phone odometer went while skiing at Ragged. I tucked it down the Showboat Headwall and hit somewhere in the 60s. It was easily much faster than I typically ski in a day; and it felt uncomfortable.

Cornhead

After skiing 2 days at Greek Peak this week, the recent deaths due to skiers exiting trails at high rates of speed doesn't surprise me. The current surface conditions are crazy fast. This cold March, with brief warm ups, has lead to a firm, fast surface. The surface is very skiable, edgeable, but if something causes one to lose control, it isn't shocking bad things can, and have, happend. It's hard not to ski fast, many people were flying at Greek yesterday. On the up side, skier traffic was light, cold weather, and the fact the casual skier has hung up his skis for Springtime activities are probably reasons why.

Thoughts and prayers to the friends an families of those who perished on the slopes. Be careful out there everyone, it can happen to anyone. My Son struck a tree at Keystone this year. He came 2 ft from serious injury or death. He is 25 yrs old, been sliding since 5, boarding since 7.

bigbog

Agree with ya' Cornhead,
Lots of straightlining rage on YouTube the last bunch of years. Lots of people can take off from a rim, such as at BlackHole, but if you're not in control when you go over a rim of anykind...I can see someone landing, catching an unfamiliar edge, tightening up(ie not able to hop onto the other ski & rolling to other edges)...and heading off towards the woods...
$.01

Last edited:

Brad J

Was at MRG yesterday and with almost no grooming and big bumps on everything with any steepness NOBODY was skiing fast. so yes GROOMING does contribute to skier speed which results in skier fatalities IMHO

SkiFanE

Was at MRG yesterday and with almost no grooming and big bumps on everything with any steepness NOBODY was skiing fast. so yes GROOMING does contribute to skier speed which results in skier fatalities IMHO
This. Last two days have been scary fast groomers - hate them. I snuck into closed woods bc the bumps were slightly edgeable with my SL skis. So most natural was closed off - but double black crust/ice was open. It makes no sense. Even if I crashed into tree in woods, not a deadly speed.

RIP. So very sad.

Edd

This. Last two days have been scary fast groomers - hate them. I snuck into closed woods bc the bumps were slightly edgeable with my SL skis. So most natural was closed off - but double black crust/ice was open. It makes no sense. Even if I crashed into tree in woods, not a deadly speed.

RIP. So very sad.

I think the ski patrol evaluates this based on their ability to drag someone down the hill, so I kind of get it.