• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Speed skiing ?

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
All the talk about aps , danger, groomers got me thinking . If you wanted to learn how to speed ski are there any facilities in the states? Seems like it would take alot of effort to have a proper smooth course for training .

witch hobble

US speed ski team used to train at Willamette Pass in Oregon. Not sure if they still do.

skiNEwhere

I don't know about the general public, but I know there's a place in France that has a consistence pitch and (obviously) no trees on the side where they always set the world record. Some guy from Italy holds the record with a mind boggling 156 mph! I can't even fathom that.

VTKilarney

According to Wikipedia there are approximately thirty speed skiing courses worldwide. Most are at high altitude to minimize wind resistance.

drjeff

If I recall correctly, Jay used to have a "public" speed skiing event once a year - not sure if it's still an annual event or not???

Brad J

I believe its a citizen downhill on the Stateside ares on Haines Trail ?? usually in early April??

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com

Hawkshot99

catskillman

My guess is they used 44? Ony trail I can think of that is steep, and straight enough.

No - they did it on what is now the terrain park. I think it is called Park Ave. I remember 1 of the snowmakers went down the course on a shovel and hit 40 miles an hour one time.