• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Industry View on Spring Skiing

deadheadskier

Staff member
I don't have inside knowledge of Killington's financials. I think between spring pass sales and day tickets, they could turn a profit on weekends.

Scruffy

All good comments...but now I wonder, do casual golfers get tired of golfing in November?

In the overall population, I think there is a much higher percentage of addicted golfers, than addicted skiers. But, yeah, even golf nuts think it's too cold to play at some point. And that's why so many move south, to play all year.

The ski bug is easy for most people to put away for the season, once they've skied their number of acceptable times for the year. Once the weather changes, their minds shift to other things. A lot of diehard skiers are also into warmer weather sports; golf, fishing, biking, hiking, etc.. It's easy for them to switch gears. Most people ski because it's winter and they don't want to be bored silly, or their spouse skis, their not diehards.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Good points. My folks skied 30-50 days a year for 15+ years. Once they retired, they moveD to Florida so they can golf year round 4-5 days a week. They haven't skied since and don't miss it.

Domeskier

I don't have inside knowledge of Killington's financials. I think between spring pass sales and day tickets, they could turn a profit on weekends.

I'm planning to help out their bottom line this spring. Haven't been there since the early nineties. Can't wait.

VTKilarney

There is another factor that hasn't been discussed here. When the temperature gets above 50 degrees, I actually prefer other forms of recreational activity, such as riding my bicycle. It's not a matter of "moving on" as much as it is a matter of a simple preference under those conditions.

I've never given it much thought, but a contributing factor is that ski boots are not designed for warm weather.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I've skied in 75 degree weather. Never have I said, I need to take off for the day as my feet are too hot. Never heard anyone else have feet too hot to ski either.

Razor

Thinking in purely economic terms, outside of Killington, can any other area profit from late spring operations when the only customers are diehards like us who already have season passes? Where's the value added? Those who stay open are doing it purely as a public service for the goodwill of their passholders. Look out west. Most areas close after the first week of April when, in a normal year, they could stay open well into June. Sure, some have forest service restrictions, but many just shut down due to lack of interest. I'll do the Loaf, Wildcat, and K once every year late, then call it quits until next year.

VTKilarney

I've skied in 75 degree weather. Never have I said, I need to take off for the day as my feet are too hot. Never heard anyone else have feet too hot to ski either.
You are putting words in my mouth. I never said that my feet were too hot to ski. What I was saying is that I would rather be in bicycle shoes in 75 degree weather than ski boots. The key word I used was "preference".

deadheadskier

Staff member
Tough to say. The fact that Wildcat went for it early this year and is pushing for May is a big reason why I'm leaning towards getting a pass there next season instead of Cannon. Hard to quantify that into daily profits, but I'm sure that's why they push season length at Wildcat.

dlague

I think the main issue for resorts come April is competing with children's sports. That alone pulls lots of families away. I also think that many south of the NH and VT border are inclined to start focusing for biking, golfing, kayaking, etc. This distraction alone causes people to spread out. As I have mentioned in the past I have summer Attention Deficit Disorder - I generally want to do it all and in the end do not become good at any thing but get by. Winter for most is simple skiing/snowbaording is the game - April, not so much.

VTKilarney

IMHO there is definitely some value added for the couple of resorts that stay open the latest.
Such as:
1) Lots of people like the idea that they can ski in April and May - even if they know deep down inside that they won't. I am one of those people - at least as far as May is concerned. I doubt that I would ever ski in May, but all other things being equal I would by a season pass at the resort that is open in May.
2) For some reason, there are people who just like to know that the mountain they are associated with is the biggest and the best. I am sure that lots of Killington skiers relish in the fact that Killington is the king of spring skiing, even though they don't ski in April or May. They like the association with that type of mountain, even if they don't partake in the benefit being offered.

slatham

dlague - I think you hit it - certainly did for my personal situation - kids sport/school activities. I am dying to get up (and I have a place to stay and a seasons pass) but I can't even get a solo trip these past 2 weekends, much less the family up to ski. Even the Easter vacation won't find us skiing, though due to a very unique situation that I am happy is presenting itself. Not sure I can then pull off April 18 or 25, though given the cold they may be viable options.

The other issue with Spring skiing is the weather, even more so than winter. The freeze/thaw cycle can be painful if not played right. I was at Sugarbush 3/14/15 and the 14th was groomers only and we only lucked out on Sunday due to 4-5" up top - though even with that the moguls were still a wee bit firm.

In fact, I might not have gone up to So Vt this past weekend even if I could. It rained last week and then got very cold without much snow. I am sure yesterday was good with blue bird and warmer, but Sunday is a half day at best. I'll bet Saturday was "firm" or worse.

But I do want to ski more!

KevinF

Not exactly apples to apples, but I'd say yes. Spring skiing is actually more accessible to the casual skier (warmer temps, hero snow) while Nov golf is not appealing to the casual golfer (cold and blustery).

"Spring skiing" and "hero snow" are not two terms I hear used together very often in terms of "casual skiers".

First, casual skiers -- at least as I define that term -- don't ski bumps.

Once a slope gets corn conditions on it, then it doesn't take very long for the surface to become a mess. Bumps, random piles, etc. I was at Stowe yesterday. Lower slopes on Spruce and the gondola were getting pretty soft in the afternoon. The "casual skiers" I saw looked pretty frustrated.

If the snow doesn't get soft (too cold, too cloudy, whatever) then there's very little I've found that is firmer than thawed, refrozen and groomed out glop. That stuff can be a "loud" and bouncy ride.

Yes, if you know what you're doing (to some degree) than skiing corn snow becomes a delight... but if your whole technique is based on being able to slide (as opposed to turn), then slushy snow can be nothing but frustration. Just like powder days and the often heard lament -- "nothing is groomed".

hammer

"Spring skiing" and "hero snow" are not two terms I hear used together very often in terms of "casual skiers".

First, casual skiers -- at least as I define that term -- don't ski bumps.

Once a slope gets corn conditions on it, then it doesn't take very long for the surface to become a mess. Bumps, random piles, etc. I was at Stowe yesterday. Lower slopes on Spruce and the gondola were getting pretty soft in the afternoon. The "casual skiers" I saw looked pretty frustrated.

If the snow doesn't get soft (too cold, too cloudy, whatever) then there's very little I've found that is firmer than thawed, refrozen and groomed out glop. That stuff can be a "loud" and bouncy ride.

Yes, if you know what you're doing (to some degree) than skiing corn snow becomes a delight... but if your whole technique is based on being able to slide (as opposed to turn), then slushy snow can be nothing but frustration. Just like powder days and the often heard lament -- "nothing is groomed".
Slushy snow can be worse than frustration, if one doesn't know how to drive the skis well it can be tough on the knees.

Edd

Tough to say. The fact that Wildcat went for it early this year and is pushing for May is a big reason why I'm leaning towards getting a pass there next season instead of Cannon. Hard to quantify that into daily profits, but I'm sure that's why they push season length at Wildcat.

I decided on getting the Peaks pass yesterday after hitting Crotched. I think I'll skip Boyne next year and just go all NH with the Bold / Beautiful pass also.

xwhaler

I decided on getting the Peaks pass yesterday after hitting Crotched. I think I'll skip Boyne next year and just go all NH with the Bold / Beautiful pass also.

That makes for great variety and a tremendous season length....nice setup. I'd love the variety of a Peaks Pass but Wildcat is just too far for me to routinely day trip.