• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Arapahoe Basin with SkiNEwhere 3/29/15

jimk

I'm close to wrapping up a nine week western ski trip. It's been great. I've met with AZ member SkiNEwhere for several fun ski days. Yesterday (Palm Sunday) was a great one at Arapahoe Basin. Despite reports of a mediocre winter in CO, there is still some great skiing out here and the friggin' sun comes out almost everyday making it super picturesque.
There was an inch or two of new snow when we first got there.
Copy of DSCN0095.jpg
SkiNEwhere scoping out Zuma Cornice on the backside of the mtn. That's Keystone and Breck in near a far backgrd respectively.
Copy of DSCN0099.jpg
Airing it out in Land of Giants.
Copy of DSCN0107.jpg
SkiNEwhere hiked up and skied 2nd Notch up on the East Wall while I stayed below. It is center chute in this picture, very sketch this day. It's just to the right of the little group of people standing on the knoll in foreground.
Copy of DSCN0127.jpg
SkiNEwhere dropping the cornice on Pali Face.
Copy of DSCN0114.jpg
to be continued...

jimk

There was a crazy man skiing the mountain in a bikini for quite a while.
Copy of DSCN0113.jpg

Doing the very cliffy West Turbo in the Pali section of the mtn.
Copy of DSCN0120.jpg
Lower Pali Face?
Copy of DSCN0115.jpg
Yours truly on Main Street. I carry the camera, he does the stunts;-)
Copy of DSCN0118.jpg

4aprice

Jim: Great trip, would love to see a summary of what you hit, what you liked, disliked etc. Just got back from Utah myself and despite the doom and gloom the skiing was great and it was hard to get on that return flight. Wife agrees that maybe in 5 years we will do the one way trip.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

jimk

Jim: Great trip, would love to see a summary of what you hit, what you liked, disliked etc. Just got back from Utah myself and despite the doom and gloom the skiing was great and it was hard to get on that return flight. Wife agrees that maybe in 5 years we will do the one way trip.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Thanks for positive feedback guys. If you google geezer ski bum you will see some of my reports on the trip. Either this spring or next fall I will put out a detailed summary. Couple of quickies: Breck has been the big eyeopener. I never skied there before this winter. Have now been about 7 times over two months and I had a great time every visit and have fallen in love with both ski area and town. Excellent mix of terrain and lots of it. It's had the best snow of any of the ten resorts in I've hit in CO, UT, CA, WY. CA was sad. I hope they rebound next year. Spent all of March in Summit County. Tons of warm sunny days. Terrific spring ski conditions from my easy to please mid-Atlantic perspective. Have met many very nice people like SkiNEwhere off internet ski forums that I partnered-up with and made my ski days much more rewarding.

ciscokid

Hey Jim, glad to see you survived and thrived. Had to join here to find you.

Surprised your son didn't join you or did I miss it?

Happy Easter!

bigbog

attachment.php

West Turbo in the Pali section of the mtn.

Beautiful stuff!!!
Finally got the snow this season, but not easy access to steep trees like that up here in Maine....
I did a lot of dreaming...inserting steeps and trees with spaces this last winter up here, off resort.