• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Burke March, 28 2015

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Date(s) Skied: March, 28 2015

Resort or Ski Area: Burke, VT

Conditions: Fresh butter top 3/4's

The drive up to the NEK is usually uneventful and this drive was not really different except that the weather wasn't were it usually is - in the notch. It was in the relative flat lands of the lakes region. Snowing like crazy, untreated I93, cars off the road all the way up past Woodstock then it starts to clear. By the time we get to Franconia Notch it almost completely clear.

Breakfast at Miss Lyndonville was good as always then onto Burke.

Conditions were almost exactly what they were when I skied there in December. Since my brother didn't want to venture into the glades I didn't venture in either. Many people did however and the reviews I got ranged from "awesome" to crusty. Anyway, there was a few inches of buttery new snow the top 3/4's of the upper mountain.

Chris, my brother wanted to head straight back to CT afterwards so Schillings was out of the equation. We shared a ride early in the day with a local from St. Johnsbury who recommended Balliwicks. Well, maybe recommended isn't the right word cause it was the only brew pub he could think of in SJ. Anyway, it was quite good. We got there early, like quarter to 4, so there was hardly anyone in there. They have a nice selection of local brews, no Heady Topper but we found a couple beers to our liking. Mine was a nice IPA while my bother's was a red ale. Good sandwiches, excellent French fries along with quick and friendly service. Schillings, however, is still on the to do list.

East Bowl at Burke by Bob Misu, on Flickr

Overhead Turbine by Bob Misu, on Flickr

Pond skim at Burke by Bob Misu, on Flickr

Last edited:

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
I didn't go this year. The weather was pretty cold and the move of the date into March didn't help. I like the old days when they held it closing weekend.
Yeah, it warmed slightly in the afternoon - maybe to about 30 but the day started fairly chilly in the 20s. Especially up top where there was a steady breeze.