• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Alta/Snowbird: March 28, 2015

thetrailboss

Staff member
Resort: Alta/Snowbird

Date: Saturday, March 28, 2015

Conditions: Variable/SC/WS; Sunny with temps in the 50's.

Report: Having spent the last weekend at Deer Valley, I was Jonesin for a good Snowbird day with maybe a helping of Alta for good measure. Driving up LCC I was really sickened by the bare ground for most of the drive and some thin cover on the western side of Cirque overlooking Mid-Gad, but it was ski day and there was plenty of white to ski.

Grabbed the first tram and headed right to a nice Mineral Basin. Pretty much my MO for Snowbird. Powder Paradise and White Diamonds were soft and pleasant. Next spin was a cruise down Lupine Loop for good measure. It also was pretty damn nice so I repeated it twice more for good measure before it got chewed up by the crowds. With the lines not really hitting MBX at 10, I did another spin on Powder Paradise side before heading over to Baldy Express.

I had been using Baldy almost exclusively for accessing Alta. But the snow over here was good and these low angle favorites were going off. So I hit Claim Jumper and Bird's Nest a few times before crossing the line into Alta.

Alta had slightly more snow but considerably more crowds on the lifts and trails. Devil's Elbow was nice as was Extrovert. I worked Sugarloaf a few more times hitting Razorback and doing a nice line down Yellow Trail/Scratchy back to Sugarloaf.

Riding up the lift I heard that Supreme was "terrible". This was disappointing considering that I was hoping to get there because I had not hit it in a while. I ignored the comments and headed for Supreme finding nice, just softened snow, and not too many people on the first run. Obviously word got out because there was quite a line on the second run. Upper Sleepy Hollow and Upper Big Dipper were nice; Rock N Roll and Big Dipper were also delightful.

It was now about 11:30 and I yearned for more 'Bird...Bookends in particular. So I headed back across and made a beeline right to Bookmark Gully. Delicious. I repeated working the next line over.

I had hoped on doing a couple in Little Cloud, but ended up only having time to do Old Ladies' to a thin Goblin Gully, Bicarbonate Gully, and then back down Bass Highway to Tram Base to wrap it up. Old Ladies was firm up top but a bit better as you worked the skier's right side.

A solid outing...about 4 1/2 hours of skiing. Covered a lot of terrain. Most of it is good...thin in places but good.

Pictures coming soon.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Mineral Basin--Powder Paradise Side

ry%3D480

Confirmed TrenchZilla, the Carvasaurus Rex, sighting (photo compliments of Guru Dave Powers):

DSC02687-525x390.jpg

All good:

ry%3D480

Baldy side:

ry%3D480

For AZ:

ry%3D480

Mineral Basin:

ry%3D480

Baldy Express:

ry%3D480

Summit:

ry%3D480

White Diamonds:

ry%3D480

Powder Paradise:

ry%3D480

4aprice

Oh man, why did I get on that plane home? One of these days it will be a one way trip. BTW hearing that a pattern change is in the works that may bring more moisture into the Utah/Colorado region. Could be a good April out there.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

thetrailboss

Staff member
Oh man, why did I get on that plane home? One of these days it will be a one way trip. BTW hearing that a pattern change is in the works that may bring more moisture into the Utah/Colorado region. Could be a good April out there.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Sure hope so!