• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vail says The hell with getting into the East ski area business.

snoseek

They need east coasters to buy 149 dollar lift tix, or epic passes for their 7 day vacation. I'm guessing this is all thought out by people that know numbers.

wa-loaf

Not sure how this rules out anything in the east?

As far as I know there's no major area in the east for sale right now.

C-Rex

As much as I'd love to see them buy a few eastern resorts, I can see why they wouldn't bother. They are killing it with the epic pass and the offerings they currently have. I can see them buying more European resorts, however.

My boss is retiring at the end of April and next season he's looking at buying an Epic pass and then bouncing from place to place for like month. I've been straight up begging him to take me with him.

wa-loaf

Maybe they will bail out that Balsams project in a couple years ... ?

Last edited:

wa-loaf

Aren't the Boyne areas for sale as well as BW and Saddleback?

CNL is selling their land holdings, but Boyne has a long term contract to operate the ski areas. I guess I picture Vail wanting to pick up a major area or something they could turn into one. Saddleback is to far even though there is some potential for expansion.

jaytrem

CNL is selling their land holdings, but Boyne has a long term contract to operate the ski areas.

I'm sure the Vail lawyers could find something in the lease that would allow them evict Boyne. ;-)

drjeff

I'm sure the Vail lawyers could find something in the lease that would allow them evict Boyne. ;-)

I'm guessing that after the Park City Mountain Resort lease debacle, that EVERY ski area with land leases involved marked their "intent to renew" notification dates on about every calender, smart phone, tablet that they own ;)

machski

As for Vail's Perisher buy, it is the largest resort in Aussie land, it has the "our summer" draw on the epic pass, they have resort land for properties (something almost all NZ areas do not have) and the US$ is extremely strong vs AU$ right now. Probably a very good move, all be it one of the most vulnerable to reduced snowfall in their portfolio.