• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Fri Apr 3 to Sat Apr 4

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Burlington, GFS run

prec.png

BenedictGomez

12z GFS pretty much holds serve, would be maybe 5" ending before 1pm.

12z NAM comes in much better and faster, definitely a 6" or 7" deal, ending by 9am or so.

Canadian isnt out yet.

The unspoken thing with this though, is there's potential for much more. The reason the models are only spitting out 3" to 7" is because it's too warm for snow Friday night into early Saturday morning, and some of the storm is wasted as rain:
gfs_T2m_neus_8.png

But if the temps come in a bit colder than expected (wishcasting, but it sometimes happens) or there is a nice elevational effect, this would add approximately another 4" to 7", so then you'd be looking at something more like 9" to 12" total.

In other weather news, it just stopped snowing here at Smuggs, but snowed for a good hour. Never-ending winter!

BenedictGomez

So BG, you're playing in the snow? How is it? dense? wet? what are the temps at elevation? Inquiring minds want to know!

Jay peak and Smuggs on Saturday and Sunday. Good conditions, nothing fresh in trees, but they were ski-able and fun.

Stowe on Tuesday with 4" fresh snow and it skied mid-winter'ish, everything was perfect. Skied MRG yesterday for the first time, they also received 4" the day before so it was in nice shape there too. Bottom line is, northern Vermont is the place to be right now.

HowieT2

NWS has lincoln peak at 3000' getting 6-10". here's an excerpt of the discussion.

PRECIPITATION BEGINS AS A COLD RAIN 02-06Z
SATURDAY...BUT COMBINATION OF LOW-LEVEL CAA AND DIABATIC EFFECTS
RESULT IN RAIN CHANGING TO WET SNOW 06-12Z SATURDAY...AND
CONTINUING THROUGH 18Z SAT. THERE WILL BE A LARGE ELEVATIONAL
DEPENDENCE TO SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS...AND MOST OF THE
ACCUMULATION IN THE VALLEYS WILL BE ON GRASSY
SURFACES...ETC...FOLLOWING THE WARMTH EXPECTED THRU THE DAY
FRIDAY. QPF AMOUNTS GENERALLY 0.4-0.70"...HIGHEST ACROSS CENTRAL
INTO NERN VT. USING A 10:1 RATIO IN THE VALLEYS AND 14:1 ACROSS
THE SUMMITS...LOOKING AT A RANGE OF SNOWFALL AMTS FROM RANGING
FROM AN INCH OR LESS IN THE SOUTHERN VALLEYS...TO 1-3" IN THE
CHAMPLAIN VALLEY TO 3-7" ACROSS THE HIGHER TERRAIN OF THE NORTHERN
ADIRONDACKS...AS WELL AS NORTH-CENTRAL INTO NORTHEASTERN VERMONT.
WILL NEED TO CONSIDER HEADLINES FOR SOME OF THE HIGHER
TERRAIN...ESPECIALLY ABOVE 1000`...FOR THE NRN ADIRONDACKS AND N-
CENTRAL INTO NERN VT. SINCE SNOWFALL WILL BE HIGHLY SENSITIVE TO
JUST A DEGREE OR SO IN PBL TEMPERATURES...

yeggous

I might have to go to Jay on Saturday and Burke on Sunday. Grandma will be disappointed that I am missing Easter but a man needs to have priorities.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone mobile app

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I might have to go to Jay on Saturday and Burke on Sunday. Grandma will be disappointed that I am missing Easter but a man needs to have priorities.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone mobile app
You are flirting with fire young man. Remember, ski season is going into May this year!