• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Need advice on full gear upgrade

six50joe

Over the past 30 years I've been skiing an average of 7 days a season, but this past winter my wife became a snowboarding instructor and got her level 1 cert. Between that, and our toddlers just getting introduced to skiing, we'll be spending a lot more time on the mountain; I estimate 20-30 days a season going forward. I split my days between skiing and snowboarding, the latter of which I picked up 7 yrs ago. Because of the increased mountain time this past season, my skills have improved noticeably.

As far as my level, I'm not sure- my guess would be halfway between type 2 and type 3. I can make it down any type of trail including moderately steep and technical glades but as of today, I won't be one of the aggressive types you'll see. On the more challenging terrain I need to take frequent rest breaks while being aggressive, or I need to go at a casual pace. The latter is more the norm. My goal is to be a solid type III at some point in the future. My technique needs some adjustments, but between a lesson or two and some off mountain physical training it feels attainable.

I've been using the same gear for the past 15 years, Salomon 1080s (I know, not exactly a northeastern ski), and Salomon boots that I guess were considered all mountain type II at the time. These boots have been very comfortable and I haven't had any issues with them. On a recent gondola ride when I mentioned to two other skiers how long I've been using them they looked at each other in disbelief. I guess that my thinking that a comfortable fit is the only real important thing needs to get with the times. I wonder what they'd think about the shell I wear on warmer days that I've been using since before some of the lifties were born.:lol:

So... I'm ready to do a full gear upgrade. My thinking is to do it now, at the end of the season to get a deal on the new 2015 models the manufacturers need to move.

On a demo day, I tried out some of the makers' latest wares. The ones I really enjoyed were the Atomic Redster 3.0 GS 178s, and I decided that day that's what I'm getting.

Since then I noticed that they seem to be marketed to slalom racing types, and are very pricey. I'm ok with spending the money, but will they be wasted on a skier like myself? I have no desire to do any racing at this point in my life, and don't want to appear as someone I'm not. I know the usual advice is "if you like them that's good enough", but are there any any other reasons this would not be a good decision? I haven't been able to find the 178 length available online anywhere except used on Ebay so far.

Also, buying boots after 15 years feels like a real challenge. It's neither practical nor convenient for me to find shops where I can try on all the models from all the different makes. I've just trying to do my research online right now, starting to get a little up to speed. Do most of the internet retailers have good policies about boot returns / exchanges?

Thanks in advance for all advice!

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Hi Joe. Welcome to the forum. I'm surprised no one else has jumped in here ... but anyway...

It all depends on what kind of a skier are you and what kind of skiing do you prefer ie groomers or moguls or trees. Those preferences will dictate what kind of skis as well as boots you would get.

My advise is to first find a ski shop you like and ask a lot of questions. A place like Rodgers in Lincoln NH is a great place because they have a huge selection of new and close out skis plus they have a fairly large and knowledgable staff. Smaller shops are fine but shop around because sometimes you'll find that sales people will try to sell you something that THEY want to sell rather than what you really need.

You're looking at a good time because of close out sales and toward the end of summer there will be lots of tent sales as well. Take your time. When in comes to finding the right ski or boot IMHO it's harder than buying a car what with all the variety out there. So be picky.

six50joe

Thanks Abubob, I am obsessively picky about my gear. It's rare for me to get a purchase wrong. In this sport though it starts to feel exhausting. I guess that's why I put it off for so long :). As to my preference I love variety and I like to ski all types of terrain. I will continue to use my 1080s for moguls and trees. I really enjoyed the redster on groomers, significantly more so than the other demos I tried. My question is more about whether I'd be buying skis that only expert racers can utilize properly per their design.

dlague

Hi Joe. Welcome to the forum. I'm surprised no one else has jumped in here ... but anyway...

It all depends on what kind of a skier are you and what kind of skiing do you prefer ie groomers or moguls or trees. Those preferences will dictate what kind of skis as well as boots you would get.

My advise is to first find a ski shop you like and ask a lot of questions. A place like Rodgers in Lincoln NH is a great place because they have a huge selection of new and close out skis plus they have a fairly large and knowledgable staff. Smaller shops are fine but shop around because sometimes you'll find that sales people will try to sell you something that THEY want to sell rather than what you really need.

You're looking at a good time because of close out sales and toward the end of summer there will be lots of tent sales as well. Take your time. When in comes to finding the right ski or boot IMHO it's harder than buying a car what with all the variety out there. So be picky.

Agreed tent sales during the summer are a good bet since they are clearing out previous years stuff. North Conway has several around July - August time frame. Also look on line since prices drop during the summer. That approach has worked out well for me. Evo.com is one place to look and you can talk it through with them over the phone. Advantage - no driving around.

boston_e

Boots are not the place to try to save a buck IMO. Find a good shop that can help you fit your boots and do it right.

Demo a few skis ... Once you are on some new technology stuff, you will never put you 15 year old skis on again. If you are a "one ski in your quiver" guy like me, try out the K2 AMP Rictors. I've been pretty happy with them. You will find they are better than your 1080's in the bumps and trees (I had 1080s) and they do pretty well carving as well. I'm sure other brands will have similar stuff too.

Jully

Thanks Abubob, I am obsessively picky about my gear. It's rare for me to get a purchase wrong. In this sport though it starts to feel exhausting. I guess that's why I put it off for so long :). As to my preference I love variety and I like to ski all types of terrain. I will continue to use my 1080s for moguls and trees. I really enjoyed the redster on groomers, significantly more so than the other demos I tried. My question is more about whether I'd be buying skis that only expert racers can utilize properly per their design.

A race ski is going to be much less forgiving than a more recreational "carving" ski. It also is stiffer than your typical carving ski and thus you might not be able to flex it properly unless skiing pretty aggressively, but more importantly you will probably have a tougher time on it slash a ski you can flex the appropriate amount you will enjoy more.

I obviously don't know how aggressive you ski, but I'd highly recommend a more race inspired ski or a gs ski with reduced flex. This years dynastar's speed course pro comes to mind or the volkl RTM 84 or Rossi Experience 84. You might end up liking the redster more! But I'd recommend trying a carving ski geared towards the upper intermediate market.

Having race training is not essential to utilize a race ski properly, some on this forum ski on race skis and love them, not a daily driver though

crank

I had a pair of boots for over 20 years. If you're only skiing 7 days a season 15 years is under 100 days on those old boots of yours. That said, you could probably use something stiffer at this point in your skiing life. Fit is everything.

hammer

I had a pair of boots for over 20 years. If you're only skiing 7 days a season 15 years is under 100 days on those old boots of yours. That said, you could probably use something stiffer at this point in your skiing life. Fit is everything.
With boots it's more than the number of days...the plastic only has a certain lifespan. That said, even if the plastic isn't ready to shatter, the boot technology has to be better than it was 15 years ago. +1 on the comment on fit.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
With boots it's more than the number of days...the plastic only has a certain lifespan. That said, even if the plastic isn't ready to shatter, the boot technology has to be better than it was 15 years ago. +1 on the comment on fit.

All plastics are not alike , have a set of ski pole grips that are 30 yrs old and are like new, had a set if Daleboots whose buckles cracked after 3 yrs and liners fell apart after 4 yrs.

My Boots are 10 and are pretty beat but hate to give up on them , lots of outer wear from hiking mileage, Been hunting on Ebay for a used set , Dalbello custom NX 8.3 size 8.5 if anybody has some.
Plastics ok yet but liners are a little compressed. Bought a set of Intution liners but just not the same.

Using old boots is a roll of the dice , some vids on youtube of shattering while skiing, I quests you could rent a set temporarily if you had an issue .

six50joe

Thanks all. For new skis, maybe I won't be able to flex the redsters well enough to utilize them the right way, as of today. I'm ok with buying equipment Is somewhat beyond my ability. It gives me the goal of working it to the next level. If it's in a whole other other ball park though it's a different story. I guess it will come down to whether or not I can find the redster length I want at a really good price in the off season. If it doesn't happen, I'll start demoing again next season.

Boots are another story, I don't want to screw that up. I'll probably wait until the shops are well stocked before next season starts and spend a full day trying them out.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'll echo people's statements on boots; spare no expense. I made the save money mistake for the second time last fall. I found some boots I really liked at full price. I then saw a pair of last season's boots at half price and convinced myself that I liked them almost as much. They've been nothing, but painful all season even after a visit back to the shop. I basically wasted $350 for what will be 25 days of use. Should have spent the $800 on a boot I'd love for 150 days.

C-Rex

I'm not a skier so take what I say with a grain of salt, but one thing I see a lot of skiers do is not trust the current trend. When shaped skis were new, so many people didn't believe that they could go as short as they could and ended up buying something way too long. Now, with rocker and hybrid tech, longer skis ski shorter so it's ok to go a little long again. My advice is not to base your new skis off your old ones. They are too far apart in the tech progression to even compare. Find a good shop and trust them on sizing. Or if it doesn't seem right, come back on here. These guys will always give you solid advice.

Also, being in the east you may want to consider 2 pair. Something for the hardpacked groomer days and something for the fresh snow, glades days. As a snowboarder I can get away with one board, but it seems that skis are much more specific. Generally speaking, something designed to do everything ok, does nothing particularly well. But if you don't want to spend the money, get skis for the hardpack days and ride your board on the powder days. Boards are more fun in the pow anyway. ;-)

yeggous

My boot buying strategy is to shop the early-season "sales" in September. Don't be afraid to negotiate on the price once you are in the shop and have found a boot that you like! When I'm shopping boots, I've typically found the liner to be the big difference between the right and wrong boot.

When buying skis, demo, demo, and demo some more. Most shops will credit any demo fees toward the purchase price when you are ready. In this way you can spend many days trying out everything they have to offer before you have to commit. On the other end of the spectrum, I'm willing to roll the dice on a pair of skis if I can get an excellent sale price over the summer. To do this you have to be willing to know the type of ski that you like, and that is best achieved by demoing!

dlague

I'll echo people's statements on boots; spare no expense. I made the save money mistake for the second time last fall. I found some boots I really liked at full price. I then saw a pair of last season's boots at half price and convinced myself that I liked them almost as much. They've been nothing, but painful all season even after a visit back to the shop. I basically wasted $350 for what will be 25 days of use. Should have spent the $800 on a boot I'd love for 150 days.

I beg to repectfully differ on the full price aspect. I think you can try last year's models on and find a good deal. I bought my current boots at a ski area shop at the end of the season and got it for 60% off and paid $175. Love the boot, love the comfort and my feet never freeze even in the coldest temps. Read as many reviews as possible. Education is key.

deadheadskier

Staff member
A size 9 performance quality boot that fits my foot properly does not exist at $175. I don't care how much research you do.

What boot did you buy?

catskills

Don't forget the GoPro. You need:
  1. GoPro on helmet
  2. GoPro on chest
  3. GoPro on back
  4. GoPro on left hand
  5. GoPro on right hand

If you have an couple extra GoPro there is always the knee shots.

Your all set.